What's new

Order of installing popular scripts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

as usual, you're reading much more into it than necessary.

I read what is written. You mentioned before "hundreds of customers" with USB sticks and swap files. The first level of support in customers' mind is the person/business who recommended/installed something. In my business related mind this translates into "more trouble than necessary" and "the red Porsche is coming later than expected". Just saying...

What is included is the amtm 'shell' that can be used to install any of the supported scripts as required. After changing the setting to 'Allow JFFS scripts and configs' to 'yes', of course.
When first starting / resetting or installing amtm, this is auto set. Diversion also enables JFFS scripts and configs. And if I remember correctly, all amtm supported third party scripts check that as well. It's a standard procedure. Support questions would be endless if we would not do it automatically.

@TonyK132, first of all, that was a quick post if 'all' scripts were installed. Most people don't need them all. (I do as I test them, of course).

Secondly, in v384.14_4 or v384.15_0, no scripts are installed by default.

What is included is the amtm 'shell' that can be used to install any of the supported scripts as required. After changing the setting to 'Allow JFFS scripts and configs' to 'yes', of course.

It is important to additionally keep in mind that with the above-noted versions, amtm is the only official way to install Entware on RMerlin supported routers now. :)

HTH.
Of course I know all that. I was asking about needing the functionality of Install Unbound (or DNSCrypt) if you are already using the Merlin version of DNSCrypt that is included in 384.14 or 15. I have a lot of those scripts installed as you can see from my footer, but with 14_2 I'm only using the included version for encrypting DNS queries.

When first starting / resetting or installing amtm, this is auto set. Diversion also enables JFFS scripts and configs. And if I remember correctly, all amtm supported third party scripts check that as well. It's a standard procedure. Support questions would be endless if we would not do it automatically.

That is great to know! :)

@TonyK132 sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying then.

Install Unbound (or DNSCrypt)
One of the items in your list is to "Install Unbound (or DNSCrypt)". But if the user is choosing to run the Merlin DNSCrypt, then installing Unbound or the AMTM version of DNSCrypt is unnecessary, right?

One of the items in your list is to "Install Unbound (or DNSCrypt)". But if the user is choosing to run the Merlin DNSCrypt, then installing Unbound or the AMTM version of DNSCrypt is unnecessary, right?
Merlin firmware has DNS Privacy Protocol (DoT) not DNSCrypt.
DNSCrypt-proxy v2 (DoH & DNSCrypt protocol) is a script that can be installed via amtm
Here is the thread for DNSCrypt Installer and DNSCrypt can be installed first/last it dosen`t matter, It is not dependent on other installed scripts, Don`t require usb or swap (but think swap is recommended)

Last edited:
@TonyK132 you're confusing me because the amtm version of DNSCrypt is the only one I know of.

To be clear, the list is not a recommendation of what to install. It is the order to install things (simply skip the ones you aren't interested in).

Installing Unbound (or any other script) along with any other script requires understanding how each works and might interact/interfere with the other(s). Again; the script authors would know how to answer that better.

Very useful post. Of course you don't need to install all scripts (why would you install stuff you don't need) and the formatting of the USB drive may seem overkill but I experienced the trouble described.... somehow Entware found an old directory I had and it was an issue. A clean install or at least a thorough cleanup of your USB drive is useful.

Quick and dirty (my install order for customer's routers, from scratch on RMerlin 384.15_0) :) :
  • M&M Config + Nuclear reset.
  • Including new 8 character SSIDs and 16 character passwords (alphanumeric only).
  • Set Time Zone and DST start/end settings properly.
  • Enable DDNS (if needed).
  • Enable QoS (connections below 100Mbps up/down).
  • Enable AiProtection.
  • Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs.
  • Enable ssh (LAN Only). Use a unique port number (i.e. 51xxx).
  • Update amtm.
  • Install nsrum. (Note; this only adds this script in the amtm list, you will still need a USB drive to install the actual files).
  • Install Disk Check script.
  • Install scMerlin.
  • Install FreshJR QOS (on connections below 100Mbps).
  • Install YazFi.
Now, insert a single USB drive that is 4GB or larger.
  • Format the USB drive with Ext4 format and w/journaling enabled and set a label too.
  • Create a swap file (2GB recommended).
  • Install Diversion Standard (and let it install Enware and pixelserv-tls too, even if you disable these later).
  • Install ntpMerlin.
  • Install Skynet.
  • Install Unbound (or DNSCrypt).
  • Install x3mRouting - Selective Routing (if required).
  • Install connmon.
  • Install uiDivStats
  • Install scribe.
  • Install uiScribe.
  • Install spdMerlin (if required).
I don't think I forgot anything above just typing off the top of my head? HTH. :)

Edit: as per @thelonelycoder conversation below. :)

Quick and dirty (my install order for customer's routers, from scratch on RMerlin 384.15_0) :) :
  • Enable ssh (LAN Only). Use a unique port number (i.e. 51xxx).
I don't think I forgot anything above just typing off the top of my head? HTH. :)

Edit: as per @thelonelycoder conversation below. :)

Great Directions! Have them copied locally for future reference. I am experimenting moving to Ubuntu from Windows.

It is easy using putty with the changed port number to initiate a ssh session. When I try various syntax I can't initiate a ssh session from the ubuntu command line.

ssh remote_username@remote_host

i have tried
ssh remote_username@remote_host:51xxx) (where 51xxx) is the the new ssh listening port. Doesn't work. All I get is
ssh: Could not resolve hostname 192.168.xxx.xxx:51xxx: Name or service not known

Sorry, not a Ubuntu user for many, many years. I've also seen the Windows terminal not work either, randomly.

PuTTY is 'required', IMO. :)

When I try various syntax I can't initiate a ssh session from the ubuntu command line.

ssh remote_username@remote_host

i have tried
ssh remote_username@remote_host:51xxx) (where 51xxx) is the the new ssh listening port. Doesn't work. All I get is
ssh: Could not resolve hostname 192.168.xxx.xxx:51xxx: Name or service not known
Code:
ssh remote_username@remote_host -p 51xxx

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!