What's new

vnStat our Comcast billed data usage versus vnstat: 1H 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chuckles67

Regular Contributor
For data nerds (like me!): I'm sharing 1H 2023 monthly totals for our home usage (two people, home working 60% of the week + casual use)

1689604638586.png

I can't see how the numbers correlate - our usage has quite some variation especially TX data. Roughly the Comcast billed data usage number is ~10% less than the vnstat "total" number.

Forgot to mention: I'm on a promo package with unlimited data (providing I keep using their modem/router - which will become 25USD/month. It runs very hot). Maybe that affects their numbers.

I just bought a Motorola MB8611 modem to ditch the Comcast modem/router so paying attention to data usage before it becomes capped at 1200GB per month - as soon as I swap out the hardware.

Forgot to mention: I'm on a promo package with unlimited data (providing I keep using their modem/router - which will become 25USD/month. It runs very hot). Maybe that affects their numbers.

I just bought a Motorola MB8611 modem to ditch the Comcast modem/router so paying attention to data usage before it becomes capped at 1200GB per month - as soon as I swap out the hardware.
Yea, I pay about the same a month using my own modem with unlimited data (about $25 dollars extra a month). This is the modem I use https://www.surfboard.com/products/cable-modems/s33/ .

This is my current plan:
1689635062367.png

Just noticed they boosted my Upload speed. I knew it was only a matter of time.

Last edited:
I can't see how the numbers correlate - our usage has quite some variation especially TX data. Roughly the Comcast billed data usage number is ~10% less than the vnstat "total" number.

This is consistent with my findings as noted the vnStat for Merlin github "The totals reported by vnStat are slightly higher than those currently being reported by Comcast (about 10-12%), but you should validate your use-case." I never parsed upload vs download accuracy since CC was billing the total.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!