What's new

Overclocking RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Probably because it doesn't go any faster - I've seen where one can set an NVRAM setting to a value, but it's beyond range of capabilities, so SW/HW picks the upper end and stops...

Indeed...In Asuswrt/Merlin, there is no 1100MHz step. It's automatically up'ed to 1200 if set to 1100. Hence, the same BogoMIPS.

@ASAT, looking at your openssl benchmarks, the bespoke build performs much worse than the stock. I believe you're missing a couple of optimisation switches.

On a near optimal setup, you shall be expecting something like this:
Code:
The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.
type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes
aes-256 cbc      34041.16k    36542.46k    37816.75k    38310.61k    38351.71k

I believe you're missing a couple of optimisation switches.
For the RT-AC68U, I compiled the firmware myself. Just did a 'make rt-ac68u'. Also, it's probably not a fair test because there was other processes running on the router.

Do I get it right: with upgrading CFE overclocking of RT-AC56U is now safe? I remember when I bought it as soon as they launched it and bricked it trying to overclock. Luckily Asus exchange it 1-1 and I didn't try further as Merlin was saying that it is possible to brick them.

My RT-AC56U 800Mhz CFE is: 1.0.1.9

Which version should I upgrade it to? This is the very first model of RT-AC56U bought in Singapore as soon as it was launched.

How do you check HW Rev of AC56U? I thought it is going to be somewhere at the back of the device.

Basically, is CFE regional to hardware or it does not matter if it is EU or US?

I think 666 still holds? I thought I tried that after installing 378.55. I maybe remember wrong..

I've overclocked to 1000,800, but openvpn is maxing out at ~25-30mbit/s.

For those who are getting 50+mbit/s, can you share your settings?

The results will differ depending on the latency of the server you are connecting to. Also UDP should be faster than TCP.

AES-128-CBC.

I'm using AES-128-CBC as well. TCP or UDP?

Great work on the FW btw! :)

TCP. I had some odd buffering issues at the time when using UDP, which was causing a performance drop rather than the expected performance gain. Since at the time I was mostly focussing on implementing and testing the code, I didn't spend any additional time in figuring out why (the buffer control option I recently added to the webui does help with that).

Hi, i hope someone can help me. I have a RT-AC56U with bootloader 1.0.2.6 and the latest Merlin firmware. I have tried overclocking the router using the commands in this thread however whatever i try i cannot get it to work.
All values i put in for the RAM apart from the standard 533 come back as
usage: nvram [get name] [set name=value] [unset name] [show] [commit] [save] [restore] [erase] ...

However when i put in:
nvram set clkfreq 1000,533

I don't get a responce at all but i get admin@RT-AC56U-3910:/tmp/home/root# without an "answer".

Once i managed to get it to 1000 but after a reboot it reverted back to 800.

What am i doing wrong here? i read in one of the posts that with this bootloader it is now possible to overclock this router without additional steps. For some reason i cannot get it to work. I am very certain i am overlooking something obvious but have been trying (and factory resetting the router to stock firmware etc) since yesterday so I guess i am stuck in tunnel vision a little bit.

Steve

Hi guys!

I have an AC56U with latest stable 378.55 asuswrt Merlin.

My CFE is 1.0.2.3....all with factory parameters!

May i overclock it to clkfreq=1000,800 ?

1.0.2.3 shouldn't allow for 800mhz of ram frequency, max should be 666. If you want to go 800mhz you have to update the CFE.

I have 1.0.1.9 and have previously been able to make 1000,666 stick but any more. I have been out of the loop for awhile, am I missing something?

I have 1.0.1.9 and have previously been able to make 1000,666 stick but any more. I have been out of the loop for awhile, am I missing something?

Something changed in the way Asuswrt handles nvram that are retrieved from CFE in the 378_9xxx series. I suspect this was done to prevent users from overriding their regulation or power output settings in nvram. clkfreq is in a similar situation as it does not exist as a default nvram setting.

The very simple answer to overclock not being accepted on recent ASUS FWs IMO:

Any ARM model (RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U/P, RT-AC87U, RT-AC3200, RT-N18U) can be overclocked to the same speeds (1.4GHZ) than new unreleased models available the end of this year (RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100 and RT-AC5300) and have the EXACT same performance.

Should i say more? :)

Last edited: