What's new

Overide Merlin's hardcoded dnsmasq cache

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnathonm

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I put together a dnsmasq.conf.add file with some various variables and upped the cache size within that file. However, Merlin's hardcoded 1500 line causes a conflict which results in DNSmasq not loading at all unless I physically remove the line from either file. This isn't a big deal, per se, but if the router reboots or such the DNSMasq conflict will reoccur resulting in a failure of the service to launch. Thus, leading to my wife stabbing me to death.

Is this something that is possible or is it a no go?

Thanks,
J

Dnsmasq does not allow overriding command-line parameters, so no, you can't change it.

Note that 1500 is more than enough. Everyone so far who thought they needed more discovered this wasn't the case once they looked at how much of their cache was really in use. No one ever posted a stats dump that showed the whole 1500 entries being already in use.

Code:
admin@Stargate88:/tmp/home/root# killall -SIGUSR1 dnsmasq
admin@Stargate88:/tmp/home/root# tail /tmp/syslog.log -n 20 | grep cache
Jul  9 12:40:01 dnsmasq[15408]: cache size 1500, 0/10826 cache insertions re-used unexpired cache entries.

This indicates that none of the 1500 entries were ever re-used before expiration here (meaning the cache never got filled completely).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!