What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I also use this great Firmware. I read many things about Bufferbloat.

And If I test my Bufferbloat I have 409 ms on upload.
(http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/)
My Internet is 100/5 Mbit.

I know that in linux Kernel 3.3 or above there is codel included
http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Wiki and with that Bufferbloat is dramatically reduced.

Here are some tips what you can do to reduce Bufferbloat.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Linux_Tips

But I don´t know how to enable the settings.

Can someone help me with some Settings??

how can I enable: ECN, SACK, and DSACK?

and how can I "Reduce transmit queue length"

Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink is good, Downlink 82 ms –

We were not able to produce enough traffic to load the uplink buffer, or the uplink buffer is particularly small. You probably have excellent behavior when uploading files and attempting to do other tasks.
We estimate your downlink as having 82 ms of buffering. This level may serve well for maximizing speed while minimizing the impact of large transfers on other traffic.

In my many-many-many years of networking I have yet to experience buffer bloat. Although, this connection is not optimum at the moment. My system is 802.3ab, connected into the RT-N56U that is bridged via .11n 5GHz to a RT-66U. Which is then connected to an Actiontec router, and still I produced this result.

Not saying it does not exist, but I should note that I have seen many cases of poorly configured networks, especially for the typical end user. So, I wonder how you are configured to produce that result. But note that your 5Mb for outgoing (egress) bandwidth will be an issue for you period, especially if you also implemented QoS. Due to the fact that is does add some latency, buffering, and moving of packets into queues too.

I also do believe that you will not be able to pass those commands since the kernel is not higher than 3.3. The version that Padavan's firmware uses is 3.0.60 with firmware version .40. I feel that RMerlin may have the best answer for you than me, though.

In my many-many-many years of networking I have yet to experience buffer bloat. Although, this connection is not optimum at the moment. My system is 802.3ab, connected into the RT-N56U that is bridged via .11n 5GHz to a RT-66U. Which is then connected to an Actiontec router, and still I produced this result.

Not saying it does not exist, but I should note that I have seen many cases of poorly configured networks, especially for the typical end user. So, I wonder how you are configured to produce that result. But note that your 5Mb for outgoing (egress) bandwidth will be an issue for you period, especially if you also implemented QoS. Due to the fact that is does add some latency, buffering, and moving of packets into queues too.

I also do believe that you will not be able to pass those commands since the kernel is not higher than 3.3. The version that Padavan's firmware uses is 3.0.60 with firmware version .40. I feel that RMerlin may have the best answer for you than me, though.

thank you for your answer.

My Asus Router rt-n56u is behind a Motorola Surfboard Modem. With custom Firmware I can not set QOS.

Direct on the modem I also get 409 ms upload Buffer.

I have a 50/2,5 Mbit Internet before and the Buffering in upload was 840 ms. So with upgrade (5 Mbit upload is max I can get) and it reduced to 409 ms.

What can I configure to lower it? What Internet Connection do you have?
I´m on lan not on Wlan? Sometimes I play xbox and I have the feeling that the lag is only on my side.

but it´s not a Problem with ping or packetloss. I have very good Ping times over whole of Europe. (Cable Connection Kabelbw - and I have full speed all the time - also Jitter is very low)

In this case offloading basically will mean that you have a technology/technologies that is/are faster at processing than what would normally be handling the processing of the data. It does not have to be "fast." Define fast anyways. Do you mean instructions-per-clock, clock speed, etc? It has to be better that is all; and usually always is.

For example, many things are being added to x86-64 processors to handle things in hardware, rather than take extra clocks to resolve the code/execution. Like how x64 processors handle x86 emulation in hardware when in long mode than like how the Itanium did its emulation of x86. This is what made x64 popular. Even the upcoming Haswell/4th Gen Core processor will have added instruction that will help it handle Internet protocol/Big Endian better (http://www.realworldtech.com/haswell-cpu/).

Everything has a bottleneck, so technically speaking yes. But I would rather say that the bottleneck(s) would not be experienced easily, or even possibly ever with most users.

No, offload all that you can. That is what it is there for. I play BF3 a lot, and many other games too, and I offload everything but IPv6 without a problem. I still use IPv4 with my ISP, that is why.

Thanks, you answered my question and I understand offloading a whole lot better.

--
Chris

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this fixes the DLNA issue on PS3?
Yes. I just updated from the official firmware to the latest Padavan release and my PS3 connects again without timing out, and both of my DLNA servers work perfectly now.

After 2 days of testing I dare to say: the wireless hickup problem has gone. It seems to be the best firmware version so far for this router. :)

I have been seeing problems sending files to a USB HD with the newest firmware "-042". Has anyone else experienced this issue or know what could be causing it? The router completely crashes and requires a manual restart by power cycling whenever transferring a file that's around 900mb

Yes. I just updated from the official firmware to the latest Padavan release and my PS3 connects again without timing out, and both of my DLNA servers work perfectly now.

Is there something you configured a certain way to make your ps3 work with dlna...I have a first gen phat ps3 and dlna works fine with stock and wrt versions, yet every version of padavans (minus one of the first versions he made) all error out on dlna....If I turn on the ps3 and let it sit for about 10 minutes , sometimes it works...but most the time it doesn't....If I use wrt, all my files show up fine, as soon as I turn on the ps3...

Let me know, cause padavans is quicker processing for my laptop,then stock and wrt. Just can't use it if it doesn't work with ps3.

Thanks,
Zainday

what are the best latency settings? I often play xbox. Would you use flow control on or off? And what settings for Jumbo Frames? I can´t turn them off.

Direct on the modem I also get 409 ms upload Buffer.

I have a 50/2,5 Mbit Internet before and the Buffering in upload was 840 ms. So with upgrade (5 Mbit upload is max I can get) and it reduced to 409 ms.

What can I configure to lower it? What Internet Connection do you have?
I´m on lan not on Wlan? Sometimes I play xbox and I have the feeling that the lag is only on my side.

but it´s not a Problem with ping or packetloss. I have very good Ping times over whole of Europe. (Cable Connection Kabelbw - and I have full speed all the time - also Jitter is very low)

You can do nothing, you basically have the “bases covered”. The true problem is the very fact that you have such a very limited amount of bandwidth allocated for egress; and basically why your score is not very good; and why it improved the score when there was an increase in bandwidth. The only way to remedy this is to have more allocated bandwidth. Note, you can only send around to a maximum of 625K. Which is not very much, and anytime that packets will need to start leaving your network it will start to affect your latency, and overall networking performance experienced by all users.

This is the bane of the Internet: Horribly configured asymmetrical allocation of bandwidth.

I personally have Fiber Optic Services (FiOS) from Verizon that is allocated at 50/25. I connect to many servers on the East coast from 30 to 10 or lesser latencies. But latencies are not how good a server feels. I have been on many low latency servers that cannot register well at all.

Well, lag can be a combination, actually, as noted previously. But if you have been doing it as long as I have you feel this like how it is to drive a car. To note, I have been playing first person shooters for almost 20 years. So networking is a major concern, because it can influence my experience/entertainment. Note that latencies and pings are relative (in how they "seem" good). To me I prefer nothing over 30, but that does not mean it plays well either.

Now QoS is used in your situation to try to “control’ this issue somewhat, but QoS is a kludge and never fixes the problem of limited the bandwidth. It helps with the symptoms some that is all. Wish I could help more than that.

what are the best latency settings? I often play xbox. Would you use flow control on or off? And what settings for Jumbo Frames? I can´t turn them off.

Make sure you have a recent firmware with 2.5 hardware NAT drivers and enable offloading for everything, except IPv6-unless you have IPv6.

Leave flow control on , and it is really only important at the second layer. IP has its own flow control that is used. I never use jumbo frames, there are too many issues with it (it is not a standard), does not provide much advantage if segmentation offloading is used, and only is supported in the second layer again. By second layer I mean the switch.

You can turn jumbo frames off with the switch configuration, I leave that setting at default, but my NIC is not configured to do so.

If I turn on the ps3 and let it sit for about 10 minutes , sometimes it works...but most the time it doesn't....If I use wrt, all my files show up fine, as soon as I turn on the ps3...

Sounds like rebuilding the DLNA database? Check your settings, and make sure it works with your DLNA/networking needs. BTW, it can take a while to build the database if there are many files.

Make sure you have a recent firmware with 2.5 hardware NAT drivers and enable offloading for everything, except IPv6-unless you have IPv6.

Leave flow control on , and it is really only important at the second layer. IP has its own flow control that is used. I never use jumbo frames, there are too many issues with it (it is not a standard), does not provide much advantage if segmentation offloading is used, and only is supported in the second layer again. By second layer I mean the switch.

You can turn jumbo frames off with the switch configuration, I leave that setting at default, but my NIC is not configured to do so.

Ok now I understand better. But one question I have. I use UPnP on the Router. Would it be better to use UPnP Nat-PMP? Does it also influence latency?

Would it be better to use UPnP Nat-PMP? Does it also influence latency?

Use NAT-PMP, and everything will be nominal. It will not affect your latency at all. It "punches holes" or open ports-which ever speak you wish to use. For example, XBox360 will dynamically open a port using UPnP. Rather than you continuously having the port open within the configuration page.

Sounds like rebuilding the DLNA database? Check your settings, and make sure it works with your DLNA/networking needs. BTW, it can take a while to build the database if there are many files.

Unfortunately it's not the database...I can get the video folder to show and a couple subfolders but it usually always shows them as empty. I can access my cpu's media servers with ps3. I can access all the files on the usb drive (connected to router) (via cpu) and all show up fine....I can check the minidlna files via padavans software and it shows 489 files....it just doesn't seem to work well with my ps3 and I don't understand why some people have issues as well, yet others don't. Im starting to wonder if its a phat vs slim setup, but that still shouldn't matter, cause I don't have this issue with stock or wrt...

help pls

hi guys, today i tried to transfer a folder to my pc via gigabit ethernet. the transfer rly did go up to 21mb/s(yay). but it stop halfway and says im dc from the router, but it rly didnt. my internet works fine. but my pc no longer can see my router in my network. so i unplugged my drive and replug, then i can see it on the network again. tried to copy again, it stops halfway like it did earlier. repeated the whole thing around 4 times. tried transferring wirelessly too, the same thing happened. what happened here? never had this problem before. I am now running full 3.0.3.3-042.:(

Use NAT-PMP, and everything will be nominal. It will not affect your latency at all. It "punches holes" or open ports-which ever speak you wish to use. For example, XBox360 will dynamically open a port using UPnP. Rather than you continuously having the port open within the configuration page.

Can you give me a short rundown on how all of the settings should be configured with my router for optimal Xbox live first person shooter playback? I absolutely hate the slightest bit of lag. I've got 20mb down, 1.5mb up.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!