What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Use as an AP with Padvan

If I want to use the N56U as just an access point, is there a documented process? Every time I have "flipped" the mode in the Administration GUI I loose connectivity to the GUI and even SSH. The unit continues to function, but I have lost all access. I have to factory reset to get admin access back.

My reason for choosing the custom FW was so that I could add SNMP insight to my access points.

Anyone going from 72 to 75 have any feedback on wifi signal and speeds?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Anyone know if the .75 fixes the 2104 DLNA Errors when trying to stream to the PS3?
Let me know.
Thanks in advance.

N56U Padavan AP setup question

I am trying to setup two N56U's with Padavan in a large house. As you will probably tell by my questions, I am not very experienced. I have been working at this through trial and error, but I was hoping to get some expert advice. I would really appreciate any that could be afforded.

The units are connected by hardwire. My objectives are to extend the wireless and create a secondary location at Device2 to connect hardwire to the network.

Device1 is at the modem and I have it set as the router and AP Only 192.168.1.1

Device2 192.168.1.2 is located in an office. It is set in "AP Mode" and named differently from Device1. I have it set on AP & AP Client. Using 5ghz I have them both on channel 40 and in AES, WPA2 Personal. I have the feed from Device1 plugged into a LAN port of Device2. Also, I have the SSID the same on Device1 & Device2 on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz. Not sure I was supposed to do that.

My main problem is the wireless keeps dropping off. I was wondering if anyone could offer any: "make sure you have the ________ set on _______ " type info or "NO, you dummy! change the ___________" Just trying to learn through experience. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would try setting up Device2 with the Ethernet cable going into the WAN port. Disabling the DHCP on Device2 and changing the SSID's on each router so that you know which one you're connecting to.

Also, you need to change the channels that each router uses for both bands. For example; on the 2.4GHz band (with the other router off), set one router to Channel 1 or 6 or 11 (test to see which gives the best performance in your setup). Now, set/test the other router (Device2, for example) to the remaining unique channels to see which one gives you the most range and throughput. You may want to compromise the Device1's 'best channel' if your testing reveals that it is better to use it for Device2. Testing in your environment is needed to determine that.

Now, do the same with the 5GHz band channels too. I would set the 'main' router (I'll assume Device1) to a higher channel like 161 and the least used/important router to a lower channel like 40. Why? In my experience, the higher the channel - the better the wireless performance (even if inssider shows it as a less optimal solution, initially). In the end, you want to have both bands using four distinct channels (with a 20MHz width in the 2.4GHz band and a 40MHz width in the 5GHz band).

Okay, expert advice given: priceless.

My price? $150. :) :) :)

(No, far from an expert. But hope this helps).

I would try setting up Device2 with the Ethernet cable going into the WAN port. Disabling the DHCP on Device2 and changing the SSID's on each router so that you know which one you're connecting to.

Also, you need to change the channels that each router uses for both bands. For example; on the 2.4GHz band (with the other router off), set one router to Channel 1 or 6 or 11 (test to see which gives the best performance in your setup). Now, set/test the other router (Device2, for example) to the remaining unique channels to see which one gives you the most range and throughput. You may want to compromise the Device1's 'best channel' if your testing reveals that it is better to use it for Device2. Testing in your environment is needed to determine that.

Now, do the same with the 5GHz band channels too. I would set the 'main' router (I'll assume Device1) to a higher channel like 161 and the least used/important router to a lower channel like 40. Why? In my experience, the higher the channel - the better the wireless performance (even if inssider shows it as a less optimal solution, initially). In the end, you want to have both bands using four distinct channels (with a 20MHz width in the 2.4GHz band and a 40MHz width in the 5GHz band).

Okay, expert advice given: priceless.

My price? $150. :) :) :)

(No, far from an expert. But hope this helps).

Thanks for the guidance. That looks like it couldn't miss. I had made the channels the same because the Padavan instructions on the GUI directed and I made the SSID's the same because I was going for a single SSID (the single cloud concept). However, I am guessing that is a big source of my problem - the cloud confusion caused by that. Thanks again! -Tom

Just switched over from ASUS stock firmware to the latest padavan 075 after tons of disconnections and it seems to have improved the 5ghz wireless signal. Am now getting consistent -65dbm in contrast to -80dbm on stock ASUS, no regrets in switching to this :)

enabling ntpd :: adding firewall rules and starting services

Hi! i use 3.4.3.7-075 and entware.
i want to enable ntpd on my n56u but i dont know how to permit tcp/udp 123
on my device (at this moment i want only for local net but i will want also from wan).
Also, now that i have the ntpd installed i dont know how to start the service.

Thanks!
Adrian

Guys I am on the latest firmware "RT-N56U_3.4.3.7-075_base", first time configuring this particular firmware.

Under Port Forwarding I need to supply a Port range, what is the delimiter?

e.g. Port 991 through 999 to Local Port 111

Do I input 991-999 or 991:999 or ?

Secondary question, it does not seem to be possible to add a Port forwarding rule and select to disable/enable it, seems if you add it is ON and no method to retain it but disable it right?

Does anyone know where to post or email Andy Padavan for feature requests?

Anyone looking for the latest version of this firmware, I currently have a spare server I've put to use as an automatic build server that detects changes in the GIT repo then builds the firmware automatically on an hourly basis.

At the moment i'm using a pretty minimal config which is all I need for personal use but I may be open to building custom configurations for others in the future.

http://198.23.248.102/

Hi! i use 3.4.3.7-075 and entware.
i want to enable ntpd on my n56u but i dont know how to permit tcp/udp 123
on my device (at this moment i want only for local net but i will want also from wan).
Also, now that i have the ntpd installed i dont know how to start the service.
Why?
In the administration window you can set up time synchronization, and it will synchronize the time on each reboot. No need for entware or any extra software.

But to answer you questions: you shouldn't need to open any ports since ntpd will connect to a time server, not the other way around.
Entware services can be started from /opt/etc/init.d/S...

edit: The firmware uses and includes some ntpd itself, see: /usr/sbin/ntpd

Last edited: