What's new

Parental control not working via wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crash486

Occasional Visitor
The unit is the asus rt-n66u with latest merl in build.
Parental controls restrict internet access via schedule corrected when accessing via LAN but does not work when accessing via wireless.

Suggestions to debug?
Thanks

reboot router

It's consistent across reboots. Once you disconnect from lan and go to wifi the restrictions are avoided.

The unit is the asus rt-n66u with latest merl in build.
Parental controls restrict internet access via schedule corrected when accessing via LAN but does not work when accessing via wireless.

Suggestions to debug?
Thanks

Did you look at the MAC address of the device when connected by WiFi?
To block most machines, you need two entries since the wired interface uses a different MAC address than the wireless interface. The two MAC addresses means that the machine will also get different IP addresses based on the MAC address on the interface.

Yes, my son figured this out the other day on our Xbox. It's hard-wired and I had the internet shut off at that particular time. He ended up just switching to wifi and was back up and running! I added the wifi mac too now! Darn kids. ;)