What's new

Parental Control Not Working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wraith

New Around Here
So I'm not sure where to put this and I'm hoping it's OK. Basically the issue I'm having is parental controls never working. I have reset to factory. Updated latest firmware. Nothing works and the device just stays connected. Some times resetting the device will make parental controls kick in. I have tried just about everything I can think of (making sure the time server is right and updating, deleting and re adding devices) and it still doesn't work. This goes for both LAN and Wireless clients.

I'm using a RT N66U
Any suggestions?

Which version of Merlin's firmware are you using?

You said you "reset to factory. Updated latest firmware...." If read literally, that says you reset to factory default settings (RFDS) first and then updated the firmware. You probably didn't intend it to be read literally, so please confirm that you updated your firmware and only then did you carry out the RFDS.

Yeah sorry. Updated firmware first in the hope of fixing it but it didn't. Running the latest 380.58

Thought the NTP server could be the issue and not updating the time but I changed the server and it gets the time fine now.

So yeah not sure what to do.

Was there anything in the log to indicate why the Parental Control (PC) didn't activate at the time you'd set?

There have been one or 2 posts in the past about problems with PCs; if you haven't already done a search, it might be worth your while.

Nothing I could find. I am trying to control a phone, laptop and a set top box so it's leading me to think it's router related.

Just going over your question again and you say "sometimes resetting the device will make parental controls kick in". By that you mean simply rebooting the router sometimes makes it work (and sometimes doesn't)? And on those occasions when it does get it going again, how many daily cycles will Parental Controls work for before it stops again?

Resetting the actual device (laptop, set top box etc) causes it to disconnect (parental controls kicking in when it attempts to reconnect to the router I'm assuming) Rebooting the router doesn't seem to affect it.

NAT acceleration is disabled. Yellow writing next to it says NAT traffic is processed by CPU.

Yeah sorry. Updated firmware first in the hope of fixing it but it didn't. Running the latest 380.58

Thought the NTP server could be the issue and not updating the time but I changed the server and it gets the time fine now.

So yeah not sure what to do.

Recommend you upgrade to 380.59 (final) instead and continue troubleshooting there if needed. The version you're using is known to be 'buggy' for many users and for many issues.

Make sure you do a proper reset to factory defaults after you have flashed the latest version and then do a manual and minimal configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-380-59-is-now-available.32469/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!