What's new

Passing optical fiber from one phone socket to another

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gommm

Occasional Visitor
Probably a strange question. I'm renting an apartment and there are some old fashioned phone/dsl sockets in the different rooms. I would like to pass some optical fiber cables through them to wire with 10gbps optical fiber cable two different rooms.

I can get a cable and attach it to the existing phone cable and pull the phone cable from the other socket to bring the optical cable to the other room. What I'm confused about is what optical cable to use, how do I end it after I do that? and does anyone have any gotchas I should look out for?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not sure your landlord would appreciate you replacing his property's internal telephone wiring with your own bespoke fibre solution. It might cause issues when he wants to rent it out to the next tenant. Or are you planning on reinstalling the original wiring when you leave?

I actually checked, and was told by the building management that the telephone wiring was removed, so this phone cable no longer connects at all to the exterior of the building or to anything. The internet connection is done through optical fiber that replaced the old phone line.

To cover yourself 100%, put your request (be specific) in writing and save the 'approval' reply they give you, preferably on company letterhead.

Management 'people' come and go. Cover yourself from the corporate entity which may interpret the events differently in the future.

Thanks for the advice. Good idea, I'll do that. Any advice on the wiring question? a bit confused there :)

Terminating Fibre 'wire' isn't hard (I've seen techs do it many times). But I certainly can't do it (and sadly, I've tried). But that doesn't mean it can't be learned. :)

Pulling Fibre isn't easy either I'd expect. Unless it was a straight run from one box to the other. If there is even one bend between the boxes, I'd be looking for a professional to do it. And they should have the equipment to fully test their work afterward.

hmm, given the prices in hk, it'd cost me a lot of money to get someone to do it... So I'd rather try my luck (and learn new skills) before I end up paying 200+ usd to get someone to do it :)

Can you explain bit more about what you're trying to achieve? Are you wanting to run one fibre cable between two locations or multiple cables between multiple locations?

If it's just one cable what is the reason. Are you trying to extend the fibre cable coming into the apartment so that you can relocate the ONT to another location? Or do you have fibre switches and/or clients that you're trying to network together?

I have my NAS, my media server and a qnap 10gbits switch at the place where the ONT is, At the other end of my apartment (33 feet away), I have my office, when I work in my office, I sometimes want to be able to access files quickly from my NAS. Currently wifi signal is very weak in my office (all walls in my apartment are thick concrete with rebar and there's a lot of interference from wifi signals because I live in a tower) .

So the idea would be to pass through an optical fiber cable to the office and connect it to another switch so that when I work there, I can easily use internet and have access to my NAS.

This might help:

I guess another decision is whether to just have the cable coming out of a hole in the wall (where the phone socket used to be) straight into the switch, or to terminate the cable in a wall outlet (see below) and then run a short fibre patch cable between the switch and the wall.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!