1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Phicomm K3C AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigabit Router Reviewed

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Mar 20, 2018.

1. jigglywiggly

jigglywiggly New Around Here

Anyone have the latest firmware for the k3c? The link on the website does not finish downloading for me and is very slow. SW_K3C_703004848_V33.1.33.197.bin is the file name if it is in your downloads folder

EDIT: It finally finished, if anyone else needs it I rehosted it

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TQg-Q5oe2HpBWhMVSY7xqGDlRRZ8pxLQ

2. CrystalLattice

CrystalLattice Regular Contributor

There is also a matching toaster!
    They don't do firmware updates since March 2018. But, There is also a matching toaster! : https://gizmodo.com/the-toaster-that-longed-to-be-a-vcr-5139135

3. Busta

Busta New Around Here

well, this dropped to $28 bucks on Amazon. Seems like something to buy and try out?

4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Regular Contributor

they still haven't updated firmware, so I wouldn't recommend buying it if you want to plug it into the internet, unless you want to download the custom firmware from the Chinese message board.

5. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

It's that low for a reason. Leave it.

avtella likes this.
  6. jdmc

jdmc New Around Here

Okay, but then why does this router still show up as the #3 Overall highest-rated router on SmallNetBuilder?! That makes no sense.

7. thiggins

The ratings are based on performance only. You also have to look at the date of review. We also have paused reviews since about a year ago.
    Phicomm tested the U.S. market by introducing a few products. They decided they didn't want to stay in the market.

As others have noted in the thread, if you are ok with having no support other than what you can dig up, then it's your money.

8. CrystalLattice

only useable as ap's

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. Easy Rhino

Interesting... When I tried to use the k3c as an AP it would get screwed up, it was like it was still trying to assign dhcp up addresses. Did you see any problem like that or devise a fix?

10. CrystalLattice

assign dhcp range to itself, like a guy above said. if you assigned it to 192.168.1.2, just assign range to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.2 . or use static ip settings. more keypresses

11. Easy Rhino

huh, so it would try to grant a IP address to other devices, fail, and then my real dhcp server in my router would be able to respond with the real IP address?

12. karasuhebi

karasuhebi New Around Here

May I suggest adding a small update note at the top of the review stating these caveats? I bought one of these on Amazon for $38.74 back in May of last year based on your review. It would've been nice to know that it hasn't received firmware updates in a while and that PHICOMM pretty much pulled out of the US market so you'll get no support.

Also if I may ask, why have router reviews paused?

13. thiggins

L&LD likes this.