What's new

PIA client refuses to start working fine before

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goobi

Regular Contributor
68U running 384.3 using PIA VPN on router.

I had to reboot my router and noticed that the VPN did not start back up. When I went to investigate I see the following errors logged:

Feb 25 22:22:58 ovpn-client3[22526]: Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in config.ovpn:35: pull-filter (2.4.4)

Feb 25 22:22:58 ovpn-client3[22526]: Use --help for more information.

Feb 25 22:22:58 syslog: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 492: Starting OpenVPN failed...

This has been working fine for a while. Here are my custom settings:

tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-nocache
mute-replay-warnings
disable-occ
pull-filter "auth-token"
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "route-ipv6"
persist-tun
persist-key
fast-io
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

I removed all the pull filter options and in fact even removed all options, but I still get the same error. Not sure where it is pulling this option for and why it has an issue with this "pull filter" now option. I even reset the vpn client back to default and manually configured everything by hand but still the issue persists.

Any suggestions or if anyone can confirm they are having no issues with PIA @384.3 would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I removed all the pull filter options and in fact even removed all options, but I still get the same error.
If you're still getting the same error, it looks like there might be a pull filter somewhere because that error seems to be related to it.

pull-filter "auth-token"
This line seems to be missing accept|ignore|reject after pull-filter.

PS: I'm not an OpenVPN expert, so just trying to help with what you provided.

It appears I had some kind up problem with the ovpn file I uploaded. I downloaded an updated one from the PIA site and got it working. It does appear though that perhaps the PIA servers don't like those pull-filter options anymore as I got the same error again when I tried to put it back in. They must have changed something since the last time I had to restart openvpn. Thanks for the tip though!

This is my custom config with PIA on Merlin 384.3 using latest PIA files on a RT-AC 68U and not experiencing any problems

tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
disable-occ
mute-replay-warnings
pull-filter ignore "auth-token"
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "route-ipv6"
fast-io
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288