What's new

pixelserv pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And so does amtm, it uses the same line of code, just have to select the static beta install.

I also use the static beta install so probably why I didn't have any issues.

Very, very beautiful! Thank you very much for the implementation.

Unfortunately I'm not a web developer, but Photoshop & Co are no strangers. ;)

:)

Thank you vm for your contribution. I like the favicon a lot!

It's also implemented in less than 600 bytes. That's a reduction of more than 50% from the last time I tried more than a year ago. Sweet.

I had to enable a setting to see favicons on tab pages, but still don’t see them in the address bar.

Oh, so it works in iPad then.

Safari doesn't show favicon in address bar.

True the only way to fully block ads in youtube is to use an ad blocker, which unfortunately messes with your stats in pixelserv.

So best approach that I use on my laptop is to have the ad blocker on just for the YouTube site and turned off for everything else.
The other method to block YT ads is to pay $11.99/mo for YouTube premium. :eek: ;)

Just finished reading a thread on the topic using regex feature in pi-hole to block YT ads here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/95y9l0/now_that_we_have_regex_blocking_is_it_possible_to/

But attempts failed as it may also prevent the video from loading. Using an ad blocker browser add on or paying for the premium subscription are the only methods that appear to work at the moment.

There was mention in the thread that using a MITM technique to intercept the certificate would be a sure fix to the issue. Those posts were a little dated so I decided to let it be.

Last edited:
No, unfortunately no change.

I had to enable a setting to see favicons on tab pages, but still don’t see them in the address bar.
That’s the amount of it as far as I know. It only shows on tabs.

Oh, so it works in iPad then.

Safari doesn't show favicon in address bar.
Works on iPhone mobile safari on ios 12 as well. Just have to turn the fav icons option on mobile safari.

How to view favicons in Safari tabs in iOS 12
  1. Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Tap Safari.
  3. Tap the switch next to Show Icons in Tabs.

The other method to block YT ads is to pay $11.99/mo for YouTube premium. :eek: ;)

I was trying with this set of rules for uBlock Origin. Haven't spent much time testing though. So can't comment if they are actually effective or not.

I was trying with this set of rules for uBlock Origin. Haven't spent much time testing though. So can't comment if they are actually effective or not.
Thanks for sharing the link. I'll try it out when I get back home at the end of the week and let you know how it works.

I'm surprised that someone uses uBlock would have to ask about this, because I just used default lists came with uBlock and have never seen YT ads on Chrome. Before that, I used the EasyList for Adblock Plus on both Firefox and Chrome, didn't see any YT ads, either.

Btw, recently I've noticed there is an app named Quantumult for iOS which is mainly a web analyzing app, but can be customized to add filter rules, hence we can turn it into an ad blocker app. My local blocking list maintainer did some tests and commented that it is currently the best app for him to make a YT ads blocking list, and he has recently decided to create a list for it. I'm not techie, so don't know if that would help giving some ideas/suggestions for you, but you can buy the app for trial and request for refund if it's not helpful.

- Some similar apps are Surge (free, but the feature to decrypt https to detect YT ads costs more and not as efficient), Shadowrocket (not good). They are developed by Chinese developers, so I guess that's why they haven't had much attention.
- For reference, the current blocking list for Quantumult by our local blocking list maintainer:
https://github.com/bigdargon/hostsVN/blob/master/option/hostsVN-quantumult.conf

Last edited:
They must be thinking light and fast. For example, I only have "my filter" enabled on the filter page. :)
As a side note to any desktop safari users, AdGuard has released a proper Mac App Store stand-alone app that accomplishes this task (user filter) and is compliant with the changes/removal of safari extension support going forward.

[S]@kvic[/S] the pixelserv export for webui certificate fails to generate .crt files. The script replaces router.asus.com but leaves no other files anywhere I can find them. Nothing in /opt/var/cache/pixelserv that relates to the webui. I need some help. This is not the first time I have had trouble. This used to work really well. The script no longer relaunches the webui. The cert shows up on the administration tab, but that's it. Thanks in advance for your help.;):)

Last edited:
?? I just tried it in chrome and it worked fine: <actual pixelserv IP>/ca.crt exports a crt file.
That's not what I meant my friend. I was trying to follow this. It just doesn't do what it's supposed to do. This is working fine after reinstalling Pixelserv. ;):)

Last edited: