What's new

pixelserv pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not keen to give up pixelserv after these several years. Outside of the certificate stuff, what further development is needed? More a rhetorical question.
None at the moment. And if/when the new changes to certificate validity requirements come to your favorite browser, it is a very minor change in the source code to adjust for that.

Did something happen overnight? On my 87U everything seems to be fine, but I've got ads now.

Did something happen overnight? On my 87U everything seems to be fine, but I've got ads now.
Follow the Diversion log. See if your browser switched to a DoH provider.

A reboot doesn't fix this. Disabling pixelserv and reenabling it doesn't fix it. Following the diversion log doesn't show any blocked domains. This is google Chrome, and "Secure DNS Lookups" flag was default; I set it to disabled, in case Google and changed the default, and ads are still there.

I uninstalled diversion, and then reinstalled.

I uninstalled unbound, and reinstalled it.

Still puzzled.

Last edited:
A reboot doesn't fix this. Disabling pixelserv and reenabling it doesn't fix it. Following the diversion log doesn't show any blocked domains. This is google Chrome, and "Secure DNS Lookups" flag was default; I set it to disabled, in case Google and changed the default, and ads are still there.

Still puzzled.
Run dnsleaktest.com from your browser to figure out where it's sending DNS traffic. If it's the router and Unbound, you will see your WAN IP from your ISP.

If not, check what your client machine has for DNS server (ipconfig /all on Windows). It should be your router IP. If not, figure out what happened on the client or in the router DHCP server. Lots of people are using work VPN clients now that might be interfering. Not sure your situation.

This is totally solvable. Double-check your Diversion screen to make sure the blocking list is up-to-date.

Still puzzled.
Everything works fine here on Chrome Version 80.0.3987.149 with Linux. I tried my go to ad bombardment test links, FiveEightyThree and DailyMail.co.uk no ads anywhere. I did find that DailyMail.co.uk had some loading issues, and see that Skynet did a massive update (+54k) domains addeded to banmalware.

Where is that "Secure DNS Lookups" at? I found nothing in Settings or "Chrome:flags"? :confused:

Run dnsleaktest.com from your browser to figure out where it's sending DNS traffic. If it's the router and Unbound, you will see your WAN IP from your ISP.
dnsleaktest.com is showing my WAN IP from the ISP.

Doesn't dnsleaktest.com always show your WAN IP? Even without using unbound?

Try https://ipleak.net/ instead.
Your IP should be the same as the DNS on this website when you are using unbound.

@elorimer
On which website you see ads?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    139.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
dnsleaktest.com is showing my WAN IP from the ISP.
Good. So you know everything is going through the router's dnsmasq and Unbound.

Check that the Diversion blockinglists are in dnsmasq.conf.
Code:
cd /etc/
grep blocking dnsmasq.conf
ll /opt/share/diversion/list/blockinglist

Good. So you know everything is going through the router's dnsmasq and Unbound.

Check that the Diversion blockinglists are in dnsmasq.conf.
Code:
cd /etc/
grep blocking dnsmasq.conf
ll /opt/share/diversion/list/blockinglist
Yes on both.

My WAN ip also shows in ipleak.com.

I had upgraded to 13_5 yesterday. Can't think why that would have changed anything, but I've downgraded to 13_4 again.

Yes on both.

My WAN ip also shows in ipleak.com.

I had upgraded to 13_5 yesterday. Can't think why that would have changed anything, but I've downgraded to 13_4 again.
I have no WAN IP leaks on any sites. All show my VPN exit node IP. Are you using a VPN or something else?

No change. I don't use a VPN for internet connections, just the Spectrum cable connection.

No change. I don't use a VPN for internet connections, just the Spectrum cable connection.
What blocking list in Diversion (Small, Standard, Medium, Large, Custom)?

Standard+

I've completely uninstalled unbound and diversion, and reinstalled unbound. Reinstalled diversion but not from backup, and it looks like I'm functioning again. What a strange trip. Thanks all.

EDIT: This morning, busted again.

Last edited:
I nuked (see @L&LD) the 87U, and started all over with 13_5. I reclaimed the DDNS address, formatted the drive, reformatted the drive and added only Diversion and pixelserv, and Skynet, and for about 10 minutes it worked, and then ads came back. (I haven't experienced this in a few years. Wow.)

I nuked (see @L&LD) the 87U, and started all over with 13_5. I reclaimed the DDNS address, formatted the drive, reformatted the drive and added only Diversion and pixelserv, and Skynet, and for about 10 minutes it worked, and then ads came back. (I haven't experienced this in a few years. Wow.)
What device is this happening on

e: by which I mean, what browser/os/hardware