What's new

pixelserv pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DM is pretty good here too. If DM is the benchmark, then v5 is in pretty good shape.
It's significantly smoother on test 5.

NIcLyri.png

@pattiri

From the servstats numbers, it appears your CA cert isn't properly imported. I would suggest you start with Firefox on Windows 10. Go through the steps slowly and get it to work first. When a CA cert is imported properly, you'll see a green padlock in Firefox, and register one count in slh.

I'm 17 hour in on Test 4.

I've imported The CA cert in FF on my main desktop and google chrome on my Blackberry Keyone. The only other machines would be my Sony Vaio Laptop which is offline currently and my HTPC which just runs Kodi and I never browse on it so haven't bothered on those devices yet.

Beatiful

Code:
slh    2880    # of accepted HTTPS requests
slm    5    # of rejected HTTPS requests (missing certificate)
sle    0    # of rejected HTTPS requests (certificate available but bad)
slc    123    # of dropped HTTPS requests (client disconnect without sending any request)
slu    6    # of dropped HTTPS requests (unknown error)
sct    82    ssl cache: # of cached cert
sch    878    ssl cache: # of cache hit
scm    16    ssl cache: # of cache miss
scp    0    ssl cache: # of purge to free up slots

I've imported The CA cert in FF on my main desktop and google chrome on my Blackberry Keyone. The only other machines would be my Sony Vaio Laptop which is offline currently and my HTPC which just runs Kodi and I never browse on it so haven't bothered on those devices yet.

Did you restart your machine after installing the certificates? I remember one incident when a restart helped.

Did you restart your machine after installing the certificates? I remember one incident when a restart helped.

I didn't restart right after the import.

However I just updated to test 5 and a reboot was done this morning so we shall see how the count adds up in the next 18 hours.

On that note I will reboot the Android phone just in case also.

Forgive me if you’ve already covered it, but another common snag that causes this is if pixelsev can’t write to the certificate directory because the ownership/permissions aren’t set properly (which by default they aren’t)

Forgive me if you’ve already covered it, but another common snag that causes this is if pixelsev can’t write to the certificate directory because the ownership/permissions aren’t set properly (which by default they aren’t)

How does one check this?

How does one check this?
Code:
l /opt/var/cache
may result in something like this:
admin@RT-AC1900P:/tmp/mnt/sandisk/entware/var/cache# l /opt/var/cache
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin root 4096 Mar 10 13:59 pixelserv/
If it is owned by admin and not writable by other users, that's the problem. Easiest fix is to change the ownership to "nobody" which is the user pixelserv runs as by default
Code:
chown nobody /opt/var/cache/pixelserv

Code:
l /opt/var/cache
may result in something like this:

If it is owned by admin and not writable by other users, that's the problem. Easiest fix is to change the ownership to "nobody" which is the user pixelserv runs as by default
Code:
chown nobody /opt/var/cache/pixelserv

Makaveli@R7000-D601:/tmp/home/root# l /opt/var/cache
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody root 9216 Mar 9 19:21 pixelserv/

Makaveli@R7000-D601:/tmp/home/root# l /opt/var/cache
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody root 9216 Mar 9 19:21 pixelserv/
You're all set on that front, then. I've only ever installed certificates on macOS and iOS, so I'm not sure what to suggest. I see you're using AB, I'm not a user myself but I believe it automates most of the router side certificate stuff properly (@thelonelycoder ?), so I'd only suggest checking the certificates are properly loaded on the client machines.

I'm not sure sch is initializing correctly. I just restarted pixelserv t5 after upgrading to 384.4b3 and the entware repos.

The cache reloaded, I immediately got 4 slh, but also 34 sch. This with a total of 39 requests of all types.

If I'm looking at this right, I haven't seen it exceed 10M. 3.8% of 250M = 9.5M. Correct?

hR81ma5.png

That's right. MEM% is the percentage of RAM currently used by the process. Btw, it's a common definition in both top and htop.

On my two pixelserv-tls nodes:
node1. 82 cached certs (sch) / 2102 hits (slh), RAM use ~7MB at the moment
node2. 81 cached certs (sch) / 662 hits (slh), RAM use ~6MB

Both cases use less RAM than in test.3.

In @pattiri's case, he also found adblock add-on was enabled in browser. Disabling the add-on, numbers back to normal. Worth a try.

I'm not sure sch is initializing correctly. I just restarted pixelserv t5 after upgrading to 384.4b3 and the entware repos.

The cache reloaded, I immediately got 4 slh, but also 34 sch. This with a total of 39 requests of all types.

sch looks correctly initialised to me. The prefetch logics is easily reproducible. So you could reboot a fews times and check. However, the external events (Internet access) are probably not. I'm guessing the access events were real but from a browser action (e.g. with a few tab already there) or appliances.

DM is pretty good here too. If DM is the benchmark, then v5 is in pretty good shape.
It's significantly smoother on test 5.

NIcLyri.png

Didn't I make enough noise about that and implied Km-test.5 a must upgrade for people? :D

Considering how little code was added to make DM and alike happy..it's a marvelous trick..

Last edited:
In @pattiri's case, he also found adblock add-on was enabled in browser. Disabling the add-on, numbers back to normal. Worth a try.

I do have Ad block installed on FF so I will give that a try.

Hi everyone so after reading the thread throughly I understand that we need to import the certificate on the client devices too ( previously I was using it without importing ) but now I'm getting strange behavior and I don't know if this is the correct place to post it so I'm sorry if it's not.

I'm on iPhone and I regularly use Speedtest.net app and before today I never get any ads popups in the app while I'm using AB-Solution with pixelserv installed ( without importing certificate ) but now it's showing it like the images below ( the ad is still not loaded but it's showing the frames )

With certificate enabled on iOS:
cb7a65c0fec6e572edfdedccd23096f3.jpg

Without certificate enabled on iOS:
18751e0b3a05593fb6e1a537910e136b.jpg

How does one check this?
You're all set on that front, then. I've only ever installed certificates on macOS and iOS, so I'm not sure what to suggest. I see you're using AB, I'm not a user myself but I believe it automates most of the router side certificate stuff properly (@thelonelycoder ?), so I'd only suggest checking the certificates are properly loaded on the client machines.
I have uploaded a silent update for AB-Solution that re-checks ownership of the /opt/var/cache/pixelserv directory.
Use 1233 in the AB UI to re-download all files, the re-check is done during this process and subsequently every time the AB UI is started.

Hi everyone so after reading the thread throughly I understand that we need to import the certificate on the client devices too ( previously I was using it without importing ) but now I'm getting strange behavior and I don't know if this is the correct place to post it so I'm sorry if it's not.

I'm on iPhone and I regularly use Speedtest.net app and before today I never get any ads popups in the app while I'm using AB-Solution with pixelserv installed ( without importing certificate ) but now it's showing it like the images below ( the ad is still not loaded but it's showing the frames )
I'm not seeing any ads at all on iPhone and iPad.
Could it be that partially cellular data is used while connected to the wireless?

I'm not seeing any ads at all on iPhone and iPad.
Could it be that partially cellular data is used while connected to the wireless?

Tested again after totally disabling cellular but still same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk