What's new

pixelserv pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm still on 2.2.0 looks like its time to update to the rc.2 version

Code:
pixelserv-tls 2.2.0 (compiled: Oct 9 2018 10:35:46 flags: tls1_3) options: 192.168.1.3

uts    13d 20:49    process uptime
log    1    critical (0) error (1) warning (2) notice (3) info (4) debug (5)
kcc    13    number of active service threads
kmx    28    maximum number of service threads
kvg    1.53    average number of requests per service thread
krq    122    max number of requests by one service thread
req    48845    total # of requests (HTTP, HTTPS, success, failure etc)
avg    928 bytes    average size of requests
rmx    47587 bytes    largest size of request(s)
tav    7 ms    average processing time (per request)
tmx    20022 ms    longest processing time (per request)
slh    12058    # of accepted HTTPS requests
slm    45    # of rejected HTTPS requests (missing certificate)
sle    0    # of rejected HTTPS requests (certificate available but not usable)
slc    18348    # of dropped HTTPS requests (client disconnect without sending any request)
slu    13691    # of dropped HTTPS requests (other TLS handshake errors)
v13    11858    slh/slc break-down: TLS 1.3
v12    200    slh/slc break-down: TLS 1.2
v10    0    slh/slc break-down: TLS 1.0
uca    0    slu break-down: # of unknown CA reported by clients
ucb    6593    slu break-down: # of bad certificate reported by clients
uce    1    slu break-down: # of unknown cert reported by clients
ush    162    slu break-down: # of shutdown by clients after ServerHello

clean up servstats page

I would think the following counters are rarely looked at and/or used. They passed their usefulness and intended purposes. I had wanted to remove them for quite some time. Perhaps now is the moment.

I would re-consider if some ppl are making interesting use of some of them. So let's take a poll. Feel free to leave your opinion..

WRmbGeN.png

Have to admit I don’t look at most numbers at all; “it just works!”...

Numbers for nuts. Lol. Charts for commons like you and me..

It seems I've seen a couple of enterprise IT ppl on this forum. I wonder if some are pixelserv-tls users. As I briefly touch upon before, data mining on pixelserv-tls logs should be very interesting..

One way to do it is to use the so called "ELK stack" - Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana stack. If you haven't played with it at work before, I want to speak to you.

The last number in the servstats page I look at is ssp. I don't even know what the numbers after that means.

clean up servstats page

I would think the following counters are rarely looked at and/or used. They passed their usefulness and intended purposes. I had wanted to remove them for quite some time. Perhaps now is the moment.

I would re-consider if some ppl are making interesting use of some of them. So let's take a poll. Feel free to leave your opinion..

WRmbGeN.png

I usually always check the number of javascript requests..just to make sure my NoScript browser extension is doing its job.

The last number in the servstats page I look at is ssp. I don't even know what the numbers after that means.

A few interesting counters are below those e.g. "pst." It indicates how many times websites attempt to upload "huge" amount of your personal data. Usually >100KB these days.

I usually always check the number of javascript requests..just to make sure my NoScript browser extension is doing its job.

This is an interesting usage! Thanks for sharing.

One query for 2.2.1-rc2 the default cert cache size via https://kazoo.ga/pixelserv-tls/ is listed at 500, on adding switches via Diversion -c default is listed at 100

Simply remove the '-c' switch in your setup. Then the 500 default will take effect.

Only if you want a different value than 500 (e.g. bigger ...or smaller), then specify '-c' command line option.

One query for 2.2.1-rc2 the default cert cache size via https://kazoo.ga/pixelserv-tls/ is listed at 500, on adding switches via Diversion -c default is listed at 100
I got caught by this ..... it is because the default has changed from when 'Diversion' was written and the help text needs to be changed.

For what it’s worth, that was my one hesitation - I also look at that on occasion.

A few interesting counters are below those e.g. "pst." It indicates how many times websites attempt to upload "huge" amount of your personal data. Usually >100KB these days.

This is an interesting usage! Thanks for sharing.

No prob! As someone who's still "learning the ropes" I appreciate more the glimpses into the inner workings.

I do look at the 'Get Requests ...' stats now and again but do not use them for anything groundbreaking.
If they really need to go I would not be greatly inconvenienced.

I read this entire thread this past weekend because I didn’t really understand the purpose or need for Pixelserv-tls. I am really impressed by the dedication of @kvic and his willingness to answer the same questions repeatedly over the years to earn acceptance of his baby pixelserv-tls. Now that I’m caught up I am very anxious to install pixelserv-tls with Diversion to protect my home network. I’m also feeling a bit sad (like finishing a novel with great characters). While I compressed years of development into a weekend read, it doesn’t really feel like a happy ending to me. @kvic seems to lose some of his enthusiasm in this novel (seemed to be when Entware closed the issue for OpenSSL). I also think this is a never ending battle as browsers and the web evolve. I hope we all continue to support @kvic and spread the love of pixelserv-tls.

If the idea of the CA certs turns you off, please read the entire thread and understand the origins and how you are not trusting anyone except your own router by trusting the CA certificate generated for pixelserv-tls. Part of me feels that @thelonelycoder has done a minor disservice by abstracting the simplicity and clear demarcation of pixelserv by automating it in his menu driven scripts, but it’s the only way most of us would ever consider installing it and we are thankful for that.

This project really comes across as a labor of love over the years and I hope kvic will continue to share his talent and enthusiasm with us all.

Part of me feels that @thelonelycoder has done a minor disservice by abstracting the simplicity and clear demarcation of pixelserv by automating it in his menu driven scripts, but it’s the only way most of us would ever consider installing it and we are thankful for that.
With AB-Solution and its successor Diversion I believe I have significantly increased the userbase and spread the love for pixelserv-tls.
This simplification of the install is done as a service to this community, along with amtm which also helps installing beta versions of pixelserv-tls.

Many users run into various problems when installing scripts with manual copy-and-paste instructions. Either not following them correctly or running into problems doing so.
My UI driven apps make these processes a lot simpler and accessable to a much wider audience, they profit by having complex tasks made easy.
This is expected today, we should not have to bother with commands for things that can be menu driven.
This is my opinion and also what drives me to create, support and continually improve my apps.

With AB-Solution and its successor Diversion I believe I have significantly increased the userbase and spread the love for pixelserv-tls.
Yes, I completely agree and thank you for making it simple. I think many users had a difficult time understanding where Diversion ended and pixelserv-tls began when trying to fix a broken site. You can say it proves a great synergy between the two products! :D

Yes, I completely agree and thank you for making it simple. I think many users had a difficult time understanding where Diversion ended and pixelserv-tls began when trying to fix a broken site. You can say it proves a great synergy between the two products! :D
While Diversion has a front end to use and change settings, pixelserv-tls itself does not.
Along with Dnsmasq, it serves its services in the background when viewed from the Diversion perspective. When, in fact, those two along with services and tools used in Asuswrt-Merlin do the real work.
Diversion is just a front-end to configure settings.

I don't want this to draw extra attention to me. Doing so would trigger a long list of praises for the firmware maintainers, Asus, Entware devs and many, many more. And don't forget Skynet or @Xentrk's scripts and the many that offer their help and time here to solve users problems.