What's new

Please bring back the VOIP and instant messaging adaptive QOS category

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@dave14305 I have started a conversation with you and sent you a link to the video of me replicating the issue for you (didn't want to post wan IP etc publically).

This is what thesystem log says below after clicking "apply" in flexQOS:

Download limiter does not work again for adaptive QOS unless I restart VPN clients on router (I have sent in a separate private message the system log of me stopping and starting both clients which fixes issue), restart router, and/or turn internet connection of on router homepage (internet connection ON:OFF switch).

Notice anything strange in the logs (in this message AND the two I sent you via private message)?

Why does simply restarting VPN tunnels rectify the issue?
I was hoping to see some evidence of the Download rate "not working" versus how you apply settings in the GUI. :)

Your issues may have to do with the special QoS vpn up/down handler in Merlin's code (not suggesting fault, just the interaction between the two needs investigating). Please run this command before and after your tests (I prefer to see the rules plainly with -S, then see the stats with -nvL):
Code:
iptables -t mangle -S
iptables -t mangle -nvL
If the -A POSTROUTING -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 rule is missing in the "after" output, we may have to check with RMerlin on what the expectation should be for reapplying the VPN QoS fix when QoS is restarted but the VPN client is not.

I don't have any VPN clients setup, so I do not test any VPN scenarios.

I was hoping to see some evidence of the Download rate "not working" versus how you apply settings in the GUI. :)

Ahh, I thought you wanted me to show exactly how I was triggering the issue.

I check it with DSL reports - withQOS on it is always below 80mb max speed (normally around 75) and with A+ bufferfloat (the download limit) and as soon as a click "apply" settings and rerun the dsl report test I get 90 ish mb speed and my bufferfloat is through the roof (600ms latency during test in the downloading part) and a C or D score.

I'm 100% sure download limit is not working after I click "Apply" settings in FlexQOS.

Your issues may have to do with the special QoS vpn up/down handler in Merlin's code (not suggesting fault, just the interaction between the two needs investigating). Please run this command before and after your tests (I prefer to see the rules plainly with -S, then see the stats with -nvL):
Code:
iptables -t mangle -S
iptables -t mangle -nvL
If the -A POSTROUTING -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 rule is missing in the "after" output, we may have to check with RMerlin on what the expectation should be for reapplying the VPN QoS fix when QoS is restarted but the VPN client is not.

I don't have any VPN clients setup, so I do not test any VPN scenarios.

You've absolutely nailed it - when I run those two commands BEFORE clicking apply to flexqos settings this code is present after the command ending in -S:

-A POSTROUTING -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000

AFTER clicking apply to flexqos settings - the above postrouting line of code is missing.

I have sent you via PM the ssh logs showing me running the code before and after clicking "Apply".

So yes, your guess was completely correct - that line is emitted from the output after clicking apply and flexqos restarting.

Please see link I have sent to your PM.

As expected - after then restarting VPN clients and then running "iptables -t mangle -S" the code below reappears:
-A POSTROUTING -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000

How to fix?

Last edited:
As expected - after then restarting VPN clients and then running "iptables -t mangle -S" the code below reappears:

How to fix?
This is a "sad choice" I made when I decided to switch the FlexQoS restart from triggering a qos+firewall restart to only triggering a qos restart. I will need to think about the best way to fix this. In the meantime, you can probably "fix it" on-demand by running service restart_firewall after you apply FlexQoS settings.

This is a "sad choice" I made when I decided to switch the FlexQoS restart from triggering a qos+firewall restart to only triggering a qos restart. I will need to think about the best way to fix this. In the meantime, you can probably "fix it" on-demand by running service restart_firewall after you apply FlexQoS settings.

Got it - well thank you for taking the time to look into the issue for me!

I am assuming you made that decision as restarting the firewall+qos would drop connections (i am guessing, i have no idea) whereas restarting qos doesn't?

A potential solution could be to add a toggle option in flexqos settings that adds the "service restart_firewall" command anytime you click "Apply" settings in flexqos and therefore restart the qos?

All the best,

I am assuming you made that decision as restarting the firewall+qos would drop connections (i am guessing, i have no idea) whereas restarting qos doesn't?
There were some users who complained of dropped connections when the firewall restarted with conntrack flushing enabled. It came to a head when @Jack Yaz integrated AutoBW into spdMerlin with a qos restart potentially every 30-60 minutes (can't remember). Seemed like a simple solution at the time, but now we see how it impacts VPN clients.

So I'll have to revert to requiring a firewall restart when FlexQoS applies settings. Jack will probably want to do service "restart_qos;restart_firewall" regardless of whether FlexQoS is installed or not.
A potential solution could be to add a toggle option in flexqos settings that adds the "service restart_firewall" command anytime you click "Apply" settings in flexqos and therefore restart the qos?
I would need to label that option "Do you want your VPN Client to work properly? o Yes o No". :p

Someone will need to be unhappy. The people who didn't like their connections dropping can disable Conntrack flushing but then be sad that their pre-existing traffic isn't reflecting correctly in the graphs. Or they can have accurate graphs and deal with connections dropping. spdMerlin users may have more frequent complaints if they also use FlexQoS w/ conntrack flushing. I'll work it out with Jack.

There were some users who complained of dropped connections when the firewall restarted with conntrack flushing enabled. It came to a head when @Jack Yaz integrated AutoBW into spdMerlin with a qos restart potentially every 30-60 minutes (can't remember). Seemed like a simple solution at the time, but now we see how it impacts VPN clients.

So I'll have to revert to requiring a firewall restart when FlexQoS applies settings. Jack will probably want to do service "restart_qos;restart_firewall" regardless of whether FlexQoS is installed or not.

I would need to label that option "Do you want your VPN Client to work properly? o Yes o No". :p

Someone will need to be unhappy. The people who didn't like their connections dropping can disable Conntrack flushing but then be sad that their pre-existing traffic isn't reflecting correctly in the graphs. Or they can have accurate graphs and deal with connections dropping. spdMerlin users may have more frequent complaints if they also use FlexQoS w/ conntrack flushing. I'll work it out with Jack.
Following the last complaint about spdMerlin restarting things too often a threshold option was put in place to only change QoS values if it was exceeded. I seem to remember that I needed to make it clear the threshold was applied to an average of the last 10 results and I was going to consider making the number of tests to average configurable. (note to self: stop writing new scripts the maintenance on the existing ones is very time consuming!)

Please continue the discussion in the FlexQoS thread.