What's new

Please recommend an ASUS wifi 6 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ryanrulez

New Around Here
Hello Lovely people of SNB forums.

I'm on a look out for an awesome wifi6 router which would be an upgrade over my current Netgear R7000 router ( ill still use this router to have my backup WAN line from different ISP and for IPTV comms((NVR and 6 IP cameras connected via a PPOE switch) )

ISP Speed : 350mbps (up and down)

Devices that will connect to new router : 1 x Gaming rig (2.5gig interface) 1 x Intel NUC used as a NAS and torrent / downloading device/ Plex (2.5gig interface) , 4 x Laptops with wifi 6 cards, 2 x 4k Smart tvs and 1 x Nvidia shield pro (1gig) , 2 x Alexa Echo connected

Area of coverage : 1200 sqfeet

Requirements :
Preferably ASUS but open to other brands provided they have good firmware support from merlin and the likes
Support for Merlinwrt firmware
Good range and speeds ( use 4k netflix and other streaming apps extensively)
Gaming acceleration and bells and whistles if they really make a difference
Available in India (amazon.in or flipkart.com)

Current options available in India that i could find :
AX92U (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07YD49FZT/)
AX88U (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07J3JQWNS/)
AX82U (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08XGH6S2L/)

PS AX86U is not available in India and AX11000 is super expensive here (500 usd)

AX86U is highly recommend. Sorry you can not get one. Do not recommend the AX88U.

Just as an FYI, AX92u does not have Merlin Support. So if Merlin is a must, you won't want to pick the AX92u.

I've been using the AX92u for many years and it's by far one of the best routers I've had. Unlike routers that look like bugs, the AX92u can be run with antennas down. So, you can place it anywhere in your house or office. In addition to looking good, it has great performance. Other than one bad firmware upgrade, it's been solid. It's a tri-band router, so it can easily handle 70 clients -- and up to 9 separate guest networks. I have 1gbps service and AX92u will handle 1gpbs (940 mbps) wired. I run QOS, Traffic Analyzer, AI Protect, NAS, OpenVPN -- with these services running, I still can download at more than 750mbps wireless. If I turn off these features, wireless speeds will jump up to 900 mbps. It also has great range. Unless you have a lot of concrete walls, one unit, centrally located, would easily cover 1200 sq ft.

On the con side, no merlin support or 2.5gbp wan/lan port. It's also an older model.

how is AX11000 its like super expensive here in India, if i dont have any other option then i might as well increase my budget

how is AX11000 its like super expensive here in India, if i dont have any other option then i might as well increase my budget
Before going with an expensive tri-band router like the GT-AX11000, I recommend you ask yourself whether you truly need tri-band or not.

The RT-AX88U is a very nice router (I've been using one for a few years now), however it's a bit expensive when compared to newer alternatives such as the RT-AX86U or the slightly less expensive RT-AX86S.

The RT-AX82U might be an interesting alternative now that @GNUton supports it with his Asuswrt-Merlin fork. I don't have any hands-on experience with that model to comment about it however.

I agree with Merlin, if you have a choice of AX86u or AX86s those may be better alternatives. But if you can't get those in India, I did notice Amazon India has a renewed AX11000 (30,000) for just a little bit more than the AX88u (27,500). For the extra money, the renewed AX11000 is a deal. As Merlin indicated, its way overkill for a 1200 sq foot apartment but for the extra 2500 rupees, it's a bargain, if you can trust the seller. The AX11000 is triband router and has a 2.5 gbps WAN/LAN port. There's only one in stock, as I write this. If you have to pay the regular price of 40,000, I'd go with AX88u, if you need Merlin.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07VBGK5X2/

My gaming friends who live in India told me that online retailers are often expensive and make a considerable mark up over MSRP therefore they buy products from trusted dealers from brick and mortar stores. If it's an option try and find something local. In the meanwhile I've asked in the Indian Twitch Discord community and if they find an Asus AX86U online from a reputable e-tailer I'll report back.

Edit they said to message Jay JD Desai at Elite Hubs. I checked that website and it seems most Asus routers are sold out and the AC86U isn't stocked.

Last edited:
The RT-AX88U is a very nice router (I've been using one for a few years now), however it's a bit expensive when compared to newer alternatives such as the RT-AX86U or the slightly less expensive RT-AX86S.

I tend to agree - the RT-AX86U, for most folks shopping for Asus routers, it's the better choice.

Feedback in the forums is good, and it's at a decent pricepoint balancing capability vs. cost.

Feedback in the forums is good, and it's at a decent pricepoint balancing capability vs. cost.
I find having one 2.5 Gbps port more useful than having four extra LAN ports which could be provided by adding a 20$ switch if one needed it.

I have 3 router Huawei Ax3 pro wired mesh, one in each floor ( the house have 3 floors).

I´m thinking to change these 3 units to Asus with a 1x Main Router AX86U and 2xUnits wired mesh to asus (don´t know which one must get cheaper and not to expensive with good range and support mesh asus,) Have read about ax55u, ax56u, ax68u..

Any recommend with my setup or and change?

Regards

All you need is one Asuswrt-Merlin supported Router and use what you already have as Access Points.

AiMesh may give you Guest Network, but it doesn’t control anything else. If you expect better roaming, look somewhere else. AiMesh is no different than wireless repeaters or wired access points.

Hello Lovely people of SNB forums.

I'm on a look out for an awesome wifi6 router which would be an upgrade over my current Netgear R7000 router ( ill still use this router to have my backup WAN line from different ISP and for IPTV comms((NVR and 6 IP cameras connected via a PPOE switch) )

ISP Speed : 350mbps (up and down)

Devices that will connect to new router : 1 x Gaming rig (2.5gig interface) 1 x Intel NUC used as a NAS and torrent / downloading device/ Plex (2.5gig interface) , 4 x Laptops with wifi 6 cards, 2 x 4k Smart tvs and 1 x Nvidia shield pro (1gig) , 2 x Alexa Echo connected

Area of coverage : 1200 sqfeet

Requirements :
Preferably ASUS but open to other brands provided they have good firmware support from merlin and the likes
Support for Merlinwrt firmware
Good range and speeds ( use 4k netflix and other streaming apps extensively)
Gaming acceleration and bells and whistles if they really make a difference
Available in India (amazon.in or flipkart.com)

Current options available in India that i could find :
AX92U (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07YD49FZT/)
AX88U (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07J3JQWNS/)
AX82U (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08XGH6S2L/)

PS AX86U is not available in India and AX11000 is super expensive here (500 usd)