What's new

PoE for DOCSIS 3.1 (Xfinity)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

splunge2020

Occasional Visitor
Ugh, so Xfinity went and started using spectrum above 1GHz in my area. After an upgrade to their equipment, my CM1150V shows the start of the downstream OFDM channel at 955MHz, which means the top is at around 1150MHz :( I've configured my goCoax to give me 4 channels starting at 1250, so no problem there...the issue is that my PoE filter is now blocking a good chunk of the downstream OFDM. I only have 400Mbps service and still get that, but I do get a blinking downlink light on the cable modem (which indicates "partial service"). I suppose I could try removing the PoE filter and see what happens, but don't think that's viable long term.

Has anyone seen any new PoE filters that work for the newer DOCSIS frequencies? I know @krkaufman has posted a link to a Lindsay Broadband filter (here), but that seems to be a standard 5-1002MHz pass band.

Sure wish they hadn't neutered the spectrum analyzer on my modem :(

Have a look at the following Lindsay Broadband MoCA POE filters.

Don't know why that POE filter has a spec sheet but doesn't show up in the products page.

Other Lindsay Broadband 1.2 Ghz filters, shown as suitable for MoCA ops:

Here's the link to the Lindsay Broadband filter page:

Last edited:
Ugh, so Xfinity went and started using spectrum above 1GHz in my area. After an upgrade to their equipment, my CM1150V shows the start of the downstream OFDM channel at 955MHz, which means the top is at around 1150MHz :( I've configured my goCoax to give me 4 channels starting at 1250, so no problem there...the issue is that my PoE filter is now blocking a good chunk of the downstream OFDM. I only have 400Mbps service and still get that, but I do get a blinking downlink light on the cable modem (which indicates "partial service"). I suppose I could try removing the PoE filter and see what happens, but don't think that's viable long term.

Has anyone seen any new PoE filters that work for the newer DOCSIS frequencies? I know @krkaufman has posted a link to a Lindsay Broadband filter (here), but that seems to be a standard 5-1002MHz pass band.

Sure wish they hadn't neutered the spectrum analyzer on my modem :(
When Xfinity installed my setup, they installed their own filter.

I've configured my goCoax to give me 4 channels starting at 1250, so no problem there.
How?

...the issue is that my PoE filter is now blocking a good chunk of the downstream OFDM....
I suppose I could try removing the PoE filter and see what happens, but don't think that's viable long term.
Agreed. Can you get creative with your PoE placement?

Place the PoE filter after a splitter to the cable modem, feeding the modem with the full Xfinity spectrum feed, then filter just the downstream devices that'll consume MoCA. The only downside to this is that the Xfinity cable TV boxes will never be able to utilize the new DOCSIS spectrum, which will probably never be a noticeable downside to you as a user.

Code:
                                   +--+     +----------+
                                   |  +---->|  MoCA.   |
                                   |  |     +----------+
       +--+    +----------+        |  |
       |  +--->| PoE.Fltr +------->|  |
       |  |    +----------+        |  |
       |  |                        |  |     +----------+
------>|  |                        |  +---->|  MoCA.   |
       |  |                        +--+     +----------+
       |  |    +----------+
       |  +--->|  Modem   |
       +--+    +----------+

Xfinity went and started using spectrum above 1GHz in my area.
Does anybody know what Xfinity is planning on doing for their own MoCA clients in the X1 and related families? Is the general gist that internet only customers get 1Ghz+ DOCIS service while TV customers are just expected to be comfortable in the traditional band plan? Clearly many of the X1 services are Linear TV and DOCSIS and MoCA based today.

Last edited:

I posted this awhile ago.

Agreed. Can you get creative with your PoE placement?
Not really, sadly. Pretty much my only option is to add coax for a dedicated run to the modem, and then run MoCA over the currently existing plant. But since I'm just using the MoCA for backhaul between my two routers, if I were to run cabling, I'd rather just run ethernet to connect the routers and be done with MoCA.