What's new

poor Roku performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinh

I'm having trouble streaming higher bitrate movies from my local Plex server to the wireless Roku 1, and the best I can tell it is a networking issue. Is there a particular 2.4GHz setting that can cause poor performance for the Roku?

ASUS RT-AC68P says it has a 72/72 link
Roku says:
  • download is 7Mbps (way lower than my internet speed)
  • signal is Excellent
  • strength is 52
  • antenna 1 is 65 (Mbps?)
  • SNR is 51dB
  • noise is -88dBm
  • RSSI is -35dBm
The stats appear to be okay, but I wonder if it just can't keep consistent throughput or can't get much throughput at all.

I tested a laptop in the same room and it can stream fine. No other devices on the wireless network.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble streaming higher bitrate movies from my local Plex server to the wireless Roku 1, and the best I can tell it is a networking issue. Is there a particular 2.4GHz setting that can cause poor performance for the Roku?

ASUS says it has a 72/72 link
Roku says:
  • signal is Excellent
  • strength is 52
  • SNR is 51dB
  • noise is -88dBm
  • RSSI is -35dBm
The stats appear to be okay, but I wonder if it just can't keep consistent throughput or can't get much throughput at all.

I tested a laptop in the same room and it can stream fine. No other devices on the wireless network.

I don't know but try disabling 2.4 Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming on the router under Wireless\Professional.

OE

ASUS says it has a 72/72 link
Roku says:
  • signal is Excellent
  • strength is 52
  • SNR is 51dB
  • noise is -88dBm
  • RSSI is -35dBm

How are you playing anything from a Plex Server on a Roku?

edit: Nevermind. Did a little research and see that Roku has a plex channel and you can set all that up. Looks to me like it would be very slow in general just based on how it's designed to work with one interface connecting to the other and transferring etc. There are better ways to stream from Plex to your tv than going through roku interface.

Last edited:
How are you playing anythingj from a Plex Server on a Roku?

edit: Nevermind. Did a little research and see that Roku has a plex channel and you can set all that up. Looks to me like it would be very slow in general just based on how it's designed to work with one interface connecting to the other and transferring etc. There are better ways to stream from

plex is indeed an app/ channel that you can stream VIA a Roku device but it's not much chop , Roku device's are not geared up to stream third party apps , it can be done but quality of services would be dubious at best

plex is indeed an app/ channel that you can stream VIA a Roku device but it's not much chop , Roku device's are not geared up to stream third party apps , it can be done but quality of services would be dubious at best
That's pretty much what I said, thanks for confirming. :)

My Roku 3 has a Tx 130 Rx 130 or better connection to 2.4 GHZ band. Streaming from my NAS can be choppy if I download videos at a high resolution. Otherwise the old device works fine!

Airtime was already off. I turned off Universal Beamforming and adjusted the antennas. This squeezed out 5Mbps more and 4dBm more RSSI (according to the Roku's stats), but this doesn't help the streaming.

I don't understand the mystery of Roku having a Plex app. The only way you can use Plex is via an app, and every app has to have a device to host it. The smart TV app has a different set of issues.

Maybe the Roku is just junk? (At least for anything over 480p content?)