What's new

RT-AX86U slow WiFi, no settings have improved it. Is this normal performance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grizzly_Canoe0153

New Around Here
Needed a new router and read good things about the Merlin compatible devices, saw good reviews for the AX86U. Setup was very simple, and I only had a few issues that were resolved by disabling Smart Connect.

My biggest issue is that my WiFi is slower than I'm used to, and wired upload is a bit slower. My ISP offers approximately 50Mbps down, 40Mbps up. Wired I can achieve 50Mbps+ down, but only 25Mbps down. Used to get better upload.

Devices on WiFi only get approximately 25Mbps down, 10Mbps up, no matter if my signal is incredible (-16dB) or poor (-82dB). My old router (a Linksys WRT3200ACM) could achieve mid 40Mbps in both directions with the WiFi, and I can't see why the AX86U can't get me more.

2.4GHz is set to auto, Noise level is -93dB

5GHz is set to auto, Noise level -94dB

I have tried manual channel settings, and pro settings detailed in other posts on this forum, no improvements except an unexpected increase in 5GHz range. I tried hard resets, rebooting multiple times, no luck. Currently running Merlin 388.2_2 but it's also present in the most recent firmware from Asus

Is this expected performance? If not, what else can I try?

Welcome to the forums @Grizzly_Canoe0153.

No, definitely not expected performance.

Try forgetting the SSID's and rebooting a client device or two, then, re-associating them.

Or, add a Guest Network with a new SSID to test with various devices.

What devices are you using for the testing?

What features and options are you using past the defaults?

Have you been toggling options on/off?

Have you been using a saved backup config file?

What are the prices for you to get a GT-AX6000 instead?

Try forgetting the SSID's and rebooting a client device or two, then, re-associating them.

Or, add a Guest Network with a new SSID to test with various devices.
No improvement unfortunately.

What devices are you using for the testing?
I've tried 2 Android phones (Samsung and Google), an iPhone, a Nintendo Switch, a smart TV, a Dell XPS 13 9370. For wired testing, a Dell PC.

What features and options are you using past the defaults?
I disable UPnP and GeForce NOW QoS UPnP Control, disable WPS, set WPS button to toggle radio, Enable HTTPS over LAN, Disable 160MHz, change 2.4GHz preamble type to short, Enable WMM No-Acknowledgement, Disable Universal Beamforming.

Have you been toggling options on/off?
Yes, but I've also been rebooting to make sure they stick.

Have you been using a saved backup config file?
No

AX86U was $280 CAD after tax and shipping. GT-AX6000 will be $470. Money is not really a concern if it'll perform much better.

Seems I either didn't have the latest Asus firmware or I'm misremembering the speed test results I did. Oops.

I did a hard factory reset, went back to Asus' latest release, checked for updates, did another hard factory reset (no idea if it's actually required), set everything exactly the same as I have been, testing speeds after each change, ending with a reboot, and my speeds are pretty good. Both radios started with 45Mbps+ dl speeds, but after about 40min, the 5GHz connected device all drop to about 15-20Mbps down, 5-10Mbps up and so far have stayed there.

Both radios started with 45Mbps+ dl speeds

Your RT-AX86U 5GHz radio can do >500Mbps to 2-stream AC client and >800Mbps to 2-stream AX client at 80MHz wide channel. Don't change settings in Wireless Professional, set channels 36-48 or 149-161 at 80MHz. Check link speeds in Wireless Log for clues what is happening. For speed you need AC (866Mbps link) or AX (1200Mbps link) to the client at signal levels -60dBm or better (lower number).

When flashing between RMerlin and stock firmware, a reset is (almost always), required. Always reset after flashing the firmware you want to use.

Are you able to further test if changing Ethernet cables will help? Try ones from a different brand/company (it's not just the cable itself that may be wonky, it may just be incompatibilities with the connectors and the router itself).

Right now. The performance of the RT-AX86U you have is not what I consider a typical example. I would return it (no exchange).

That price difference to the GT-AX6000 is very large, but note that the RT-AX86U won't be receiving 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware (which has already started trickling out already for a few models), and this fact alone would make me not want to hold on to the RT-AX86U, no matter the superficial savings, right now.

What is the price for an RT-AX88U Pro? This may be an option if you can't wait for a sale on the GT-AX6000 (and is also a proven model).

While you have the router, you may want to see if the following may help you too. But even if it does, the points above would still make me look for another model today.

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

Are you able to further test if changing Ethernet cables will help
I did try that, switching from the cable I've been using for years to a brand new cable. No difference.

What is the price for an RT-AX88U Pro? This may be an option if you can't wait for a sale on the GT-AX6000 (and is also a proven model).
About $340, but out of stock locally. GT-AX6000 I could have in 1-2 days.

I tried the nuclear reset this morning and left pro settings where they were, but it seems to be the same issue. Things start great, but after about an hour, 5GHz connected devices drop to at least half the max speed.

I'll try to return this AX86U first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully it's an easy process.

I did try that, switching from the cable I've been using for years to a brand new cable. No difference.

About $340, but out of stock locally. GT-AX6000 I could have in 1-2 days.

I tried the nuclear reset this morning and left pro settings where they were, but it seems to be the same issue. Things start great, but after about an hour, 5GHz connected devices drop to at least half the max speed.

I'll try to return this AX86U first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully it's an easy process.

Have you disabled universal beamforming on both bands? It is a common pain point so worth a try.

The fact that it seems to work initially then slows down tells me that either you have more devices that connect from a different area (thus the old universal beamforming tries to kick in and slows down all devices) or maybe that your wifi channels are getting hit with radar and reducing their bandwidth, changing to another congested channel, etc. Or for some reason your 5ghz devices are jumping over to 2.4 and it is very saturated in your area.

Or you just got a dud router.

Have you disabled universal beamforming on both bands? It is a common pain point so worth a try.

The fact that it seems to work initially then slows down tells me that either you have more devices that connect from a different area (thus the old universal beamforming tries to kick in and slows down all devices) or maybe that your wifi channels are getting hit with radar and reducing their bandwidth, changing to another congested channel, etc. Or for some reason your 5ghz devices are jumping over to 2.4 and it is very saturated in your area.

Or you just got a dud router.
Initially I did have universal beam forming disabled, but left it enabled since the hard reset.

I only had 3 devices connected to 5GHz, so it seems unlikely. No improvement as I disconnected them.

Radar interference I can't see. I'm the only AP that exists in the area, as my nearest neighbor lives way down the road. Also not set to DFS channels.

I considered my smart TV being the issue, as it seems to broadcast it's own hidden network on a very narrow but completely overlapping channel (which it'll change to whatever channel the router changes to, even if manually set), but even when it's completely disconnected/unplugged, there's no improvement.

Lots of folks mess with the WIFI settings then complain about it. Use the defaults including Dual Band SmartConnect! Leave it on WPA2 Personal and auto channel. Do not use DFS channels. Let it run for a while to see which channels the router uses then set the channels. I usually set 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz and let the 5 GHz find its own way.

Initially I did have universal beam forming disabled, but left it enabled since the hard reset.

I only had 3 devices connected to 5GHz, so it seems unlikely. No improvement as I disconnected them.

Radar interference I can't see. I'm the only AP that exists in the area, as my nearest neighbor lives way down the road. Also not set to DFS channels.

I considered my smart TV being the issue, as it seems to broadcast it's own hidden network on a very narrow but completely overlapping channel (which it'll change to whatever channel the router changes to, even if manually set), but even when it's completely disconnected/unplugged, there's no improvement.
It is likely the TV remote using WIFI. Roku remotes also use WIFI. The remote will broadcast on the same channel the TV connects to but will not hurt the router bandwidth.
If you are speed testing with a phone or tablet, don't expect good results.

It is likely the TV remote using WIFI. Roku remotes also use WIFI. The remote will broadcast on the same channel the TV connects to but will not hurt the router bandwidth.
If you are speed testing with a phone or tablet, don't expect good results.

Phone or tablet should be able to hit 50M on a speed test no problem. My 3 year old pixel can hit several hundred megs.

Universal beamforming can start to have a negative impact as soon as device #2 is connected. I'd shut it back off. You can leave AC/AX beamforming enabled (explicit beamforming), that is fine.

Good news, I had to wait a week but I got the GT-AX6000 on sale, $80 off. Should have it by Tuesday. Thanks for the recommendation.

The AX86U has had new strange issues so the sooner the better. It started disconnecting devices attached to the 2.4GHz network and refusing to let them reconnect until a reboot was done. Phones, smart TV, game console, but never my IoT devices.

Good news, I had to wait a week but I got the GT-AX6000 on sale, $80 off. Should have it by Tuesday. Thanks for the recommendation.

The AX86U has had new strange issues so the sooner the better. It started disconnecting devices attached to the 2.4GHz network and refusing to let them reconnect until a reboot was done. Phones, smart TV, game console, but never my IoT devices.

If hard reset didn't help (with mostly default settings) then sounds like the hardware was failing so yeah, sounds like the replacement/upgrade was warranted.

Just to update you all, I got the GT-AX6000 today. Installed Merlin, did a hard reset, did only the very basic setup (new SSID, disable UPnP, disable WPS, disable access from WAN). Left all WiFi settings at auto/default, though I did make separate networks for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

WiFi is fantastic in comparison. Range is even a bit better. The speeds hit max quickly and there's very little stuttering. 5GHz still is inexplicably slower than 2.4GHz, but much better than the AX86U. Was getting 20-25Mbps, and now I can consistently achieve 35-40Mbps. 40-60Mbps on 2.4GHz. Uploads are identical and great.

Thank you all for your help and recommendations.

Just to update you all, I got the GT-AX6000 today. Installed Merlin, did a hard reset, did only the very basic setup (new SSID, disable UPnP, disable WPS, disable access from WAN). Left all WiFi settings at auto/default, though I did make separate networks for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

WiFi is fantastic in comparison. Range is even a bit better. The speeds hit max quickly and there's very little stuttering. 5GHz still is inexplicably slower than 2.4GHz, but much better than the AX86U. Was getting 20-25Mbps, and now I can consistently achieve 35-40Mbps. 40-60Mbps on 2.4GHz. Uploads are identical and great.

Thank you all for your help and recommendations.

5Ghz should be able to peg your connection and outperform 2.4 no problem, unless there is some nasty high frequency interference in your area. Is this from multiple device still that you see this behavior?

Try disabling universal beamforming on both bands, that has made a big difference for many people. That's really the only advanced wireless setting you should have to touch. You can try disabling MU-MIMO or setting it to one of the newer ones like TX/RX or whatever it is called. But in reality most devices don't support that feature and it usually doesn't have negative impact.

5Ghz should be able to peg your connection and outperform 2.4 no problem, unless there is some nasty high frequency interference in your area. Is this from multiple device still that you see this behavior?

Try disabling universal beamforming on both bands, that has made a big difference for many people. That's really the only advanced wireless setting you should have to touch. You can try disabling MU-MIMO or setting it to one of the newer ones like TX/RX or whatever it is called. But in reality most devices don't support that feature and it usually doesn't have negative impact.
Can't see where any interference would come from. House is out in the middle of nowhere. Yes, multiple devices still have slower 5GHz speeds, even when within 15ft, signal strength -20dB to -57dB.

Can't see where any interference would come from. House is out in the middle of nowhere. Yes, multiple devices still have slower 5GHz speeds, even when within 15ft, signal strength -20dB to -57dB.

Very strange. My really old AC1900 can push 500M over 5ghz no issue.

Did you try disabling universal beamforming? Also try disconnecting all but one nearby wifi device and test from that. A device that has a poor signal can drag down the performance of the entire band, or it could be a device that is misbehaving or not connecting correctly (really low link rate etc).

Very strange. My really old AC1900 can push 500M over 5ghz no issue.

Did you try disabling universal beamforming? Also try disconnecting all but one nearby wifi device and test from that. A device that has a poor signal can drag down the performance of the entire band, or it could be a device that is misbehaving or not connecting correctly (really low link rate etc).
My ISP offers approximately 50Mbps down, 40Mbps up.

He doesn't have that much speed to push

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!