What's new

Port Forwarding question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hungarianhc

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

I am out of town this week, and I set up port forwarding on my router such that if I go to my dyndns.whatever.com site, it takes me to my synology admin UI. I believe I just forwarded port 80 to the synology. Obviously now I can't get at my router config... is there a way to forward a different port to port 80 so I can access my router config page as well? Or... is there some other way to do this that's not related to port forwarding? Thanks!!!

Depends on your router. Look for remote admin settings that allow you to change the admin port.

You had better have a real good password on whatever you expose to the internet. Your Synology is probably getting attacked as I write this. I would change its port # to something non-standard, too.

Depends on your router. Look for remote admin settings that allow you to change the admin port.

You had better have a real good password on whatever you expose to the internet. Your Synology is probably getting attacked as I write this. I would change its port # to something non-standard, too.

Tim, isn't part of the point of having a NAS with advanced features (dropbox style file sync'ing, remote access, etc) being able to access that stuff remotely? It seems like you're insinuating that I shouldn't open up any ports or anything like that... Thoughts?

Tim, isn't part of the point of having a NAS with advanced features (dropbox style file sync'ing, remote access, etc) being able to access that stuff remotely?
Sure. But implementations vary. Some depend on UPnP automatically opening ports in your router firewall and dynamic DNS. Others use hosted portals and web browser or iOS/Android apps.
Synology has a "Quick Connect" feature. But last I checked, it relies on UPnP or manual port forwarding.

It seems like you're insinuating that I shouldn't open up any ports or anything like that... Thoughts?
Any open port is a security risk. An open standard port to a service like HTTP, Telnet, FTP is guaranteed to get probed constantly. One way to mitigate the risk is to use a non standard port, like 34563 to access HTTP. You can set the port for both HTTP and HTTPS in Control Panel > DSM Settings > HTTP Service in the DSM GUI