What's new

Port forwarding with 2 routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TomAce

Occasional Visitor
I've got new internet and the service provider gave me a Huawei GPON HG8247H router with 192.168.100.1
I connect the Huawei GPON HG8247H to my Asus RT-ACU66 router (192.168.1.1) via Lan (LAN at HUAWEI WAN at Asus).
On the Asus RT-ACU66 router I have an external HDD and I would like to use the Download Manager. My problem is that the currently I am in passive mode.

I've tried to set up the port forwarding but I am not sure due to the 2 routers how to setup them.
Any Idea?

Thank you!

Either bridge the Huawei if you can or put the ASUS' WAN port IP address in DMZ in the Huawei. The forward the required ports on the ASUS.

Either bridge the Huawei if you can or put the ASUS' WAN port IP address in DMZ in the Huawei. The forward the required ports on the ASUS.
Thank you! Unfortunately I can not find either bridge or DMZ on Huawei.
The main menus:
  • Status
  • WAN
  • LAN
  • WLAN
  • Security
  • Forward Rules
  • Network Application
  • System Tools

Check all the submenus.

If you don't have DMZ, open port range 0 - 65,535 (or as wide as allowed) for
TCP and UDP ports.

If you can't open a wide range, open only the ports you need on the Huawei to the WAN IP address of the ASUS. Then open the same ports on the ASUS, to the LAN IP machine.

Check all the submenus.
If you don't have DMZ, open port range 0 - 65,535 (or as wide as allowed) for
TCP and UDP ports.
If you can't open a wide range, open only the ports you need on the Huawei to the WAN IP address of the ASUS. Then open the same ports on the ASUS, to the LAN IP machine.

Thank you It is working. One more question if i am using utorrent my speed is 50 MB/s if i am using the same torrent with the ASUS download manager with external HDD attached to the router i only can get 2500 KB/s. How can I reach the same speed with the router?

Try asking your ISP if they can put your modem into bridge modes. Some ISPs can remotely do so.

Thank you It is working. One more question if i am using utorrent my speed is 50 MB/s if i am using the same torrent with the ASUS download manager with external HDD attached to the router i only can get 2500 KB/s. How can I reach the same speed with the router?

Router speed could be affected by it's peering ability and also the max read/write of the external USB attached to the router. In personal use I haven't seen the download manager in Asus match my on PC torrent handling.

I googled they can do it remotely. But what difference will it cause?

Once their router is bridged, it means you have complete control over port forwarding within your own router. Relying on your torrent client's NAT-PMP/UPNP support for instance will automatically handle port forwarding for you.

Once their router is bridged, it means you have complete control over port forwarding within your own router. Relying on your torrent client's NAT-PMP/UPNP support for instance will automatically handle port forwarding for you.

Yes but if I forward the specific ports I get the same result, right?

Another question:
I connected an external HDD to the router, my computer is connected to the router with lan cable and the copying speed from the computer to the external HDD is only 10 MB/s instead of 100 MB/s? What could be the reason?
Resolved: the router has only USB 2.0

Last edited:
Yes but if I forward the specific ports I get the same result, right?

Provided you don't have anything relying on UPNP to forward other ports at random times, or that your forwarded ports are static.

There can also be a few applications that might have issues when run in double NAT mode.

Provided you don't have anything relying on UPNP to forward other ports at random times, or that your forwarded ports are static.

There can also be a few applications that might have issues when run in double NAT mode.

Thanks I asked my Huawei to bridge mode, now I connect with my ASUS RT-AC66U with PPPOE. Ever since the internet drops 2-3 times day I have to plug out the router and then plug in to get back to the internet. What can be the reason? Download master is running on an external HDD connected to the router.

Last edited:
Thanks I asked my Huawei to bridge mode, now I connect with my ASUS RT-AC66U with PPPOE. Ever since the internet drops 2-3 times day I have to plug out the router and then plug in to get back to the internet. What can be the reason? Download master is running on an external HDD connected to the router.
Check your MTU setting. i think MTU should be 1492 for PPOE.
Check the link timeout for maximum idle time. you want infinite to never timeout. this might be 0 or something like 999.
if there is an option for reconnect mode, use always on

you should look up the ASUS directions for establishing a PPPOE connection if that is what you have to use.

Check your MTU setting. i think MTU should be 1492 for PPOE.
Check the link timeout for maximum idle time. you want infinite to never timeout. this might be 0 or something like 999.
if there is an option for reconnect mode, use always on

you should look up the ASUS directions for establishing a PPPOE connection if that is what you have to use.

MTU alreade 1492, idle 0 ,Connect to DNS Server automatically YES.
And while I used the Huawei in modem mode, the connection was automatic, everything was ok. Now That I've changed it to bridge / PPPoe now the problems started.

MTU alreade 1492, idle 0 ,Connect to DNS Server automatically YES.
And while I used the Huawei in modem mode, the connection was automatic, everything was ok. Now That I've changed it to bridge / PPPoe now the problems started.
Check with your ISP (or look in the Huwai configuration perhaps) for the account settings section and special requirements sections.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011715/

The ISP is probably familiar with this issue. It may be they are forcing a reconnect. There was another thread here that had similar issues that were resolved by replacement of the ONT power supply by the ISP. Don't know if that would be the case here.

Have you looked at the connection/system logs in both devices ?

Check with your ISP (or look in the Huwai configuration perhaps) for the account settings section and special requirements sections.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011715/

The ISP is probably familiar with this issue. It may be they are forcing a reconnect. There was another thread here that had similar issues that were resolved by replacement of the ONT power supply by the ISP. Don't know if that would be the case here.

Have you looked at the connection/system logs in both devices ?

Since I've changed the Huawei from router to bridge I could not log in. I've checked the log of the ASUS but to be honest it is chinise for me.

Please delete the log postings since it would appear that you might be doing something questionable with the torrent. Don't want to cause issues for the forum or yourself.
i don't see anything that jumps out at me, but i am not familiar with the ASUS router.

Contact your ISP about settings for the ASUS to avoid losing the connection. Also ask them if they have had power module issues with the ONT.

I've tried to set up the port forwarding but I am not sure due to the 2 routers how to setup them.
Any Idea?

just so others reading this may get a better idea of how to port forward through two router our friends over at portforward.com have it covered

see

https://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm

forget the detector and just read the blog as its pretty well explained

the issues with forwarding through 2 router have been mentioned in posts above and most devices behind the second router will be stuck with dual nat plus you only have so many port forwards you can do in most routers

it is by far easier to ether dmz the second router or

bridge the primary and use the second router to control everything

or

run the primary router as normal and wan bypass the second router to use as a switch and wireless access point only

the instructions of how to do this can be found

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basi...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

pete

Since I've changed the Huawei from router to bridge I could not log in.

this is normal and there is no need to access the Huawei once bridged as its acting as nothing more than a transparent bridge between your isp and the wireless router