What's new

potentially unexpected fatal signal 11

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Er, yes. We know that. You're replying to a three year old post. See post #16.
Talk to the person that responded here...

cheers

cheers
I did respond to yesterday's post in #16.

Cheers

Last edited:
Everyone says it's TrendMicro, but since one is also running third party scripts...
I was able to trigger a crash just by creating a virtual network interface (which is why scripts like Diversion trigger it too, as they create a virtual interface to handle ad blocking). I suspect that dcd is sorely lacking in error handling, probably running into buffer overruns here and there.

Ah! So it's an interaction between two different router settings. I don't think I'd ever have worked that out.

So if it's mostly the pixelserv code that's causing the issues, then using Diversion Lite could potentially be more robust. I'm giving that a go, but it seems I've not set it up correctly yet, as it's not reporting having blocked anything yet...and indeed I can still see adverts. On the plus side, I've only seen one register dump so far (about 3 hours ago), and none at all since I subsequently rebooted the router. But then if Diversion Lite isn't actually doing anything, I guess that's not too surprising.

Thanks for the info!
I don't know whether this is of any use to you, but I use the uBlock Origin ad-blocker on my laptops and for my mobile phones, I have set my router to use AdGuard, which seems to work quite well. For example, you can see where the advert would have been using the Ookla speed tester:
Screenshot_20230727_181321_Speedtest.jpg

Also, with uBlock Origin browser extension, it fills in the gaps where the adverts would have been, so you see this:
Screenshot - 27_07_2023 , 18_19_13.png

instead of:
Screenshot - 27_07_2023 , 18_17_33.png

Last edited:

cheers
If you are referring to me, then I asked on this thread as it seemed to describe the symptoms I was getting, but the thread fizzled out with a number of speculations and suggestions to avoid the problem, but nothing definitive. I know it was an old thread, hence asking whether there was ever a conclusion.

And the @ColinTaylor was kind enough to summarise information that I assume had been discussed on other threads. And @RMerlin has backed that up pretty conclusively.

So now I know the cause, I'm just thinking out loud (to those interested) about the best course of action....give up the safety of TrendMicro's tools, or the convenience of getting rid of some adverts. It seems I can't have both without making the router unstable.

I have to admit I'm still a bit puzzled how Diversion and DCD interact. If Diversion is calling DCD as part of it doing it's thing, then why does it matter whether Trend's other tools are actually enabled or not. Not that it really matters much, I guess....we know the cause and just need to deal with it.

I don't know whether this is of any use to you, but I use the uBlock Origin ad-blocker on my laptops and for my mobile phones, I have set my router to use AdGuard, which seems to work quite well. For example, you can see where the advert would have been using the Ookla speed tester:
View attachment 51978

Also, with uBlock Origin browser extension, it fills in the gaps where the adverts would have been, so you see this:
View attachment 51982
instead of:
View attachment 51983

Cheers, @TheLyppardMan . That all looks interesting. I'd prefer something that I don't need to install on each individual PC/Mac/Tablet/Phone (I do have lots!), which is why Diversion or Pi-Hole are attractive solutions. There are obviously quite a few options - more than there are alternatives to the TrendMicro web security tools, which is why I think I would rather keep them active.

Is it this AdGauard: https://adguard-dns.io/en/welcome.html ? You just set the router to point to their DNS servers rather than my ISPs? And it's free? That could definitely be worth as look.

Well, yeah, I got that bit...creating a virtual network interface is calling a function in the dcd package (written by TrendMicro), and their lack of adequate error handling is causing the issues, right? But I guess what I don't get is why should there is any difference calling this function with the other TrendMicro tools enabled or not. Diversion is presumably calling the function the same way, so why does it matter whether AIProtection is turned on?

Obviously I'm looking at this too simplistically (I'm a hardware engineer, not a softie). And I don't really need to understand why....just that there is an interaction. Thank you for the work you and others have done to determine this, and I'll just need to work around it.

Well, yeah, I got that bit...creating a virtual network interface is calling a function in the dcd package (written by TrendMicro), and their lack of adequate error handling is causing the issues, right?
Wrong. Diversion isn't calling anything. Diversion is creating a virtual interface for it's own use. Separately, dcd (which is a core component of the TrendMicro engine) is noticing the appearance of this new interface and because it wasn't programmed to handle this situation is crashing.

Wrong. Diversion isn't calling anything. Diversion is creating a virtual interface for it's own use. Separately, dcd (which is a core component of the TrendMicro engine) is noticing the appearance of this new interface and because it wasn't programmed to handle this situation is crashing.
Aaaah, OK, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers, @TheLyppardMan . That all looks interesting. I'd prefer something that I don't need to install on each individual PC/Mac/Tablet/Phone (I do have lots!), which is why Diversion or Pi-Hole are attractive solutions. There are obviously quite a few options - more than there are alternatives to the TrendMicro web security tools, which is why I think I would rather keep them active.

Is it this AdGauard: https://adguard-dns.io/en/welcome.html ? You just set the router to point to their DNS servers rather than my ISPs? And it's free? That could definitely be worth as look.
Yes, that's what I've done. How you do that does vary, depending on what firmware you are using and what you want to achieve. In my case, using the latest Merlin firmware, I just set all the devices I wanted to go through AdGuard in DNS Director in the LAN section, but DNS Director isn't available with stock firmware, so when I was using that, I had to apply static IPs to all the devices I wanted to use AdGuard DNS and then adding in the IP information for the AdGuard DNS servers (94.140.14.14), rather than just leaving it blank.

This is my current setup:
AdGuard Devices.png

All my other DNS traffic gets directed to CloudFlare.

If you want everything to go via AdGuard, then you wouldn't even need to do what I have done but just change the setting on the WAN page. In my case, it's set like this, but you would probably want to set it to use AdGuard and that should work for all your devices:
WAN DNS Setting.png

Last edited:
sigsev signal 11...

• Dereferencing null pointers - A null pointer is a reserved value that does not point to any object. As a result, the null pointer does not point to any valid memory location. Attempting to access a memory location through a null pointer leads to a SIGSEGV error.
  • Buffer overflows - Buffers have a fixed memory size. Writing data that does not fit into a buffer leads to overflowing to adjacent memory locations.
  • Invalid permissions - Some memory locations are read-only and reserved for operating system resources. The SIGSEGV error happens when attempting to write data to a read-only memory location leads.
  • Freed pointers - If a program references a pointer that is freed, the OS returns a SIGSEGV error.
  • Stack overflow - When a program runs out of memory in the call stack and does not have enough allocated memory to run, it leads to a SIGSEGV error.

Everyone says it's TrendMicro, but since one is also running third party scripts...

It could be those scripts and interaction with TrendMicro...
These are not minor issues. Has anyone confirmed if the problem is more on Trend Micro, or is the underlying problem Diversion/pixelserv-tls?

Hi ...

I'd say that the Trend Micro issue in not related with any scripts. I just use one script to update my DDNS that obviously doesn't create any virtual adapter/interface, and Trend Micro crashes if enabled.

Having a VPN server or client running in the router also creates/removes virtual interfaces, but from what I recall when I had a look into this, I didn't notice any relation between the Trend Micro crashes and the activation/deactivation of the VPN server/client interfaces. I'll have a look again soon.

Anyway, the Trend Micro code is definitely defective and Asus should ask them to fix it.

The "dcd Tainted" can occur with any firmware version when using the Trend Micro feature.
I concluded that it is not worth worrying about.
dcd_tainted.png

And newer firmware will have more Trend Micro related problems.
Of course, this is an official firmware issue, not Asuswrt-Merlin.