What's new

Powerline ethernet for greater reliability?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mugatu

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I'm wondering if a powerline ethernet adapter would help my situation.

I am experiencing interruptions when streaming hi-res content from Tidal.

Current setup is a cable modem Technicolor TC4400 plugged to an ASUS RT-AC1750 B1 router running the latest Merlin firmware. ISPs current service package is 100Mbps downstream and 30Mbps up.
My laptop is set on the 5Ghz frequency and the Ookla Speedtest confirms I get 110Mbps down, 30Mbps up and around 10-12ms ping.

I have been exhausting all the probable causes for these damned interruptions and was wondering if physically linking my router to the laptop via an ethernet powerline adapter (let's say the TPL-421E2K) could produce a more stable Internet connection?
The router and laptop are in the same room but passing an ethernet cable would be "difficult" thus the interest for the powerline.

Let me know what you think.
Laptop is an HP elitebook running a fresh installation of Windows 10.
Tech support @Tidal is supposedly working on a solution but it's been over a month and I feel like I'm being led down the garden..

Thanks for your time and good day!

I ran a powerline adapter for years streaming internet video. It worked great. For a quick test just drape a Ethernet cable and test it. Do you still have interruptions? I would think 5GHz would work well in the same room so you may be looking for an issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!