What's new

PPTP VPN server on Merlin RT-N16 performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skatastic

New Around Here
As the title says I'm running a PPTP VPN server on my RT-N16 with Merlin. My problem is that despite having a 5mbit upstream connection when I connect to my home router externally I'm only able to download at about 200KB/s or 1.6mbit. Clients on my home network are able to upload at much better speeds so it isn't my ISP and the clients from which I am remoting in from can download from better speeds so it isn't the remote ISP (my LTE phone). When I connect to my PIA VPN server from my phone I can download at much faster speeds so it isn't my phone's processing power (right?).

Anyway, my question is, is my router's processing power the bottleneck? If it isn't clear cut based on the info I've provided how can I determine what the bottleneck is? Would the new RT-N66U be able to handle the traffic without the same bottleneck?