What's new

Unbound Youtube Addblock via VPN Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

langesgnu

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everybody,

I am runnning an Open VPN server on my router to connect from my mobile to home when away. On the router I am running unbound and diversion, where in unbound I have only activated the youtube addblock function and other adds are filtered via diversion. When at home the youtube addblocking seems to work pretty fine, while when connected via the VPN only diversion addblocking is working, but youtube addblocking not. In the server settings, the DNS is advertised to the clients and also manually adapting the DNS server in the VPN client of the phone to the router IP does not change anything.

Am I missing something here or is it not possible to get the unbound addblocking to work for the VPN server?

You can't get adblocking for youtube through DNS filter programs. They inject the ads into the player.

At home it seems to be working pretty fine, at least when directly connected to the router I do not recall to see any ads prior to the videos while on the phone after 2-3 videos there is always an add.

At home it seems to be working pretty fine, at least when directly connected to the router I do not recall to see any ads prior to the videos while on the phone after 2-3 videos there is always an add.
I don't know what mechanism that controls that. I have experience periods where there is no ads on my phone and then i have experience periods where i get hammerd with ads.
The only true adfree experience is on the computer where the webbrowsers adblocker (adguard) blocks the ads. But Alphabet are hammering hard on those who block ads and they are trying to block the video out instead.

The only real solution to get rid of ads from youtube is to not visit youtube. To me youtube has become cancer in so many ways, not just the ads, but the videos and their crap algorithms aswell.

Am I missing something here or is it not possible to get the unbound addblocking to work for the VPN server?
If you want to block YouTube ads the most reliable way is through web browser plugins or specific YouTube player mobile apps created to specifically block YouTube ads. Generally using DNS to block ads doesn't work due to how YouTube serves up the ad (usually from their own servers). If you haven't done so already, search this site for blocking YouTube ads. Fair number of past discussions on why certain methods, like using DNS filtering or blocking methods, are not successful at doing so.

The ultimate way to block YouTube ads is to simply pay for YouTube Premium. Or like already suggested, simply stop using YouTube.

:);)

not using youtube is for sure sort of a solution, but not really the one I was looking for ;)
and I did search the forum prior to posting the question, but could not really find something on that topic. I also still have the impression that the feature is working when directly connected to the router, but not when connected through vpn, but I also did not test it extensively as I do not whatch that many videos.