What's new

Preparing RT-AC5300 for an RMA. I need a <$75 router (used is ok) for the next three weeks.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dragnerok_X

New Around Here
Title pretty much says it all. Unfortunately, going wired is not an option due to the placement of our modem and the number of clients that need to connect.

1800 sq ft single-story home. Router signal needs to travel 30 ft through multiple drywall walls. Primary clients are two desktop PCs with ASUS PCE-AC88 adapters, one PS3, two smart TVs and several iOS devices. Being a temporary device, I am willing to prioritize reliability at the expense of speed. If it can provide a stable 50mbps to said 30 ft clients I'll be happy.

Again, my budget is $75, but the less I have to spend the better. So far I've been leaning towards a used/refurbished RT-AC68U or a used high-end Wireless N router (RT-N66U, WNDR4500). Granted, I'm not sure what the state of the used router market is, used router caveats, or if there are other models I should be looking out for, so I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

there are plenty to choose from, asus, linksys and so on. If stability is your concern just get yourself a ubiquiti AC AP which is a 2x2 wifi AC and it has good range too.

You gotta remember that tx output isnt everything. If your devices arent powerful enough to talk back than you will find issues.

If you have skills, some mikrotik routerboards have wifi and are a good router, otherwise the RB9xx have a couple within your budget.

As long as you have less than 32 clients to connect theres no problem with every wifi AP. Its only when you have more that you should really be looking. There are many wifi routers that are also good too. Speed and mixed protocols are the real determination factor in buying a wifi AP. There are many other wifi routers you could use or even use wireless N for a while.

Other than weird wifi the 2 other things you should worry about are if the PSU of the router is good and if the wifi chips havent been overheated a lot.

Get EA8500/EA7500

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Title pretty much says it all. Unfortunately, going wired is not an option due to the placement of our modem and the number of clients that need to connect.

1800 sq ft single-story home. Router signal needs to travel 30 ft through multiple drywall walls. Primary clients are two desktop PCs with ASUS PCE-AC88 adapters, one PS3, two smart TVs and several iOS devices. Being a temporary device, I am willing to prioritize reliability at the expense of speed. If it can provide a stable 50mbps to said 30 ft clients I'll be happy.

Again, my budget is $75, but the less I have to spend the better. So far I've been leaning towards a used/refurbished RT-AC68U or a used high-end Wireless N router (RT-N66U, WNDR4500). Granted, I'm not sure what the state of the used router market is, used router caveats, or if there are other models I should be looking out for, so I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Sent you a pm.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!