What's new

[Preview 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 early test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Indication of bad cable or port. Change the Ethernet cable (5e above) or plug Ethernet to a different port.
Yes, I had the cable coming in from my Fiber Optics Router going into a surge protector and then into my RT-AC86U. So I bypassed the surge protector and ran the cable from my Fiber Optics Router straight into my RT-AC86U. Now it works. Thank you very much for your help and reply.

Yes, I had the cable coming in from my Fiber Optics Router going into a surge protector and then into my RT-AC86U. So I bypassed the surge protector and ran the cable from my Fiber Optics Router straight into my RT-AC86U. Now it works. Thank you very much for your help and reply.

& provided you use a cable rated 5e, or greater, that link should report Gb, rather than 100 mb capacity. :)

& provided you use a cable rated 5e, or greater, that link should report Gb, rather than 100 mb capacity. :)
I have a Cat 6 cable and still reporting 100mbps. But you know I don't think my ISP offers gbps downloads. I think the highest they go is 100Mbps. I really appreciate your reply. :)

Last edited:
Alpha 3 working as expected on my 88u, so far no quirks I noticed, though I'm praying for a mesh support on day.

I have a Cat 6 cable and still reporting 100mbps. But you know I don't think my ISP offers gbps downloads. I think the highest they go is 100Mbps. I really appreciate your reply. :)

My own connection is 100mbs max. The link capacity shown is 1gb. I can make that change instantly back to 100mb by simply changing out to an old cat 5 cable I have lying around.
It probably won’t affect practical throughput, but removing bottlenecks is always a good thing.
Try a different cable maybe?
I am no expert, maybe forum members with greater experience than I can chime in?

My own connection is 100mbs max. The link capacity shown is 1gb. I can make that change instantly back to 100mb by simply changing out to an old cat 5 cable I have lying around.
It probably won’t affect practical throughput, but removing bottlenecks is always a good thing.
I am no expert, maybe forum members with greater experience than I can chime in?
I’ll try that. I’ll buy a new one.

Upgraded on my AC86U. So far so good. I think my 5ghz is more stable, but its too early to tell. I haven't disconnected so far, usually its 3-4 times (once every few hours) a day for a few seconds.

Yes, I just ordered a Cat 6 1Gbps cable. The one I have now was a Cat 6 when I bought it back in Jan 2017. So it's pretty old. Thank you for your advice.

Yes, I just ordered a Cat 6 1Gbps cable. The one I have now was a Cat 6 when I bought it back in Jan 2017. So it's pretty old. Thank you for your advice.

Could be on the providers end. My fiber connection in my apartment is limited to a 100Mpbs linkrate, not sure the exact technical reasoning but as their highest plan is only 100/40 I'd say it plays a factor. Admittedly it took me trying about 4 different Ethernet cables to figure it out :p

Could be on the providers end. My fiber connection in my apartment is limited to a 100Mpbs linkrate, not sure the exact technical reasoning but as their highest plan is only 100/40 I'd say it plays a factor. Admittedly it took me trying about 4 different Ethernet cables to figure it out :p
Thanks for the reply. So it shows 100Mbps under your link state?

1 Year old cable is old ? I'm using cat 5e cables that are 6 years old , maybe I;ll change them .

Thanks for the reply. So it shows 100Mbps under your link state?

Correct, but as my connection is only 100/40 it doesn't realistically make a difference. On speedtests I get 94/36 give or take which is mostly to-do with TCP overheads.

Correct, but as my connection is only 100/40 it doesn't realistically make a difference. On speedtests I get 94/36 give or take which is mostly to-do with TCP overheads.
Got it. Yeah, I only pay for 50Mbps download but I only get between 35 and 45 Mbps. I appreciate your input. :)

The link rate will depend on your Fiber optics router port since we know the 86U's all ports(WAN/LAN) are rated 1 G. Find out the fiber optic routers port rating, if it's 1G then the connection is underperforming.

Last edited:
And even Cat5 can support Gigabit on short range like 5m, Cat5e and Cat6 both support it, but I too think your modem got only 100MB ports.
Sensless to throw away your new Cat6 cable except its defective, 1 year is like just ordered, they have to last for decades.

So far, there has been zero problems running alpha3 on my RT-AC86U.

And even Cat5 can support Gigabit on short range like 5m, Cat5e and Cat6 both support it, but I too think your modem got only 100MB ports.
Sensless to throw away your new Cat6 cable except its defective, 1 year is like just ordered, they have to last for decades.
Yeah, I must only have 100Mbps ports on my Fiber Router. I'll get with my Provider and see if they will change it. If they won't, then I won't worry about it. Thank you for your input.

I have a question. Would a soft reset interrupt my internet connection?

Apr 22 02:35:14 ovpn-client1[2776]: TLS: tls_process: killed expiring key
Apr 22 02:35:15 ovpn-client1[2776]: TLS: soft reset sec=0 bytes=22487718/-1 pkts=53062/0

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!