What's new

[Preview 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 early test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Installed alpha3 - was looking ok then lost all external connectivity. Router UI was still showing connected, but 0 traffic flow from either router itself or from wireless or wired devices. Nothing I could see in the logs, or even dmesg.

Rebooted and though I had an external IP, ddns was throwing an error, and there remained no connectivity.
After 5 mins I went to reboot my cable router, but as I did the page I was loading *appeared* to load, though it's possible it hit cached pages.

So currently tough to identify the cause, though this issue has seemingly been cropping up since the release of 384.4 approximately..

Thanks for the update.I have been running 384.3 for more than a week and it has been stable. Still cannot figure what is causing sudden loss of outbound internet connectivity issue with 384.4 and 384.5 builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes when vpn client is not connected request is made each 2 seconds but in this case when vpn client is connected then start to make request each 2 seconds but then 1 request fail and then make 2 request at the same time then from 2 request 1 fail and start 2 new reques then make infinite request that was caused when 1 request fail. Maybe the problem is in the javascript request when 1 request fail start 2 new request and continue the same bucle until make a ddos attack.

I get ~ 9000 request in 60 seconds and then continue infinite until browser crash. Is just using vpn client and seeing vpn status connection.-

Odd. I couldn't see anything abnormal when I forced my VPN tunnel to fail its connection, but I'll take another look at the mechanics behind those Ajax calls.

Is there anyone who is having httpd crash problem ?
I am suffering quite often in the start page. (index.asp)
Watchdog do restart_httpd immediately, so that is not a big problem but it is a bit annoying.
I suspect get_ethernet_ports as the cause.

I am testing without the function for a day, and it seems to be fine (removed in router_status.asp)

I can't see anything wrong with that function. What do you get if you run the following over SSH?

Code:
ATE Get_WanLanStatus

@RMerlin You recently made some improvements to the textareas for keys/certs. Another improvement would be to add a spellcheck="false" attribute to the textarea tags. That would prevent the red wavy lines from appearing (and also improve performance by avoiding unnecessary spelling checks in up to seven of those 7999 character textareas on a page).

The default for textareas is spellcheck="true" in all browsers:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Global_attributes/spellcheck

This affects these pages:
Advanced_OpenVPNClient_Content.asp
Advanced_System_Content.asp
Advanced_VPN_OpenVPN.asp

Most textareas on other pages are not affected because they have a readonly attribute.

Feels like there are new HTML attributes appearing all the time... First time I hear about this one.

I can't see anything wrong with that function. What do you get if you run the following over SSH?

Code:
ATE Get_WanLanStatus

W0=G;L1=X;L2=X;L3=X;L4=X;

I don't have any wired devices.
If I recall correctly, when the feature added first, it was displayed when router had wired devices.
It changed to always display.

I suspect there is wrong point there.
httpd crash never happened again since I removed get_ethernet_ports function 3 weeks ago.

Whenever I reboot my RT-AC86U I get the following error. I'm running Alpha 3. I have qos running.

Apr 25 11:01:08 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3356] qos_ops is not registered!
Apr 25 11:01:08 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!

If this is a known issue, I'm sorry for the post.
Try the freshjr script for qos and see if it waves the error message

No, I have it set to Adaptive, Automatic and sfq. I don't know a lot about QoS.
Automatic is for 10 GB connections, use manual bandwidth and fq-codel also what connection type are you running?

W0=G;L1=X;L2=X;L3=X;L4=X;

I don't have any wired devices.
If I recall correctly, when the feature added first, it was displayed when router had wired devices.
It changed to always display.

I suspect there is wrong point there.
httpd crash never happened again since I removed get_ethernet_ports function 3 weeks ago.

I can't see any reason for that function to cause a crash then if that command returns a valid string.

I'm running Fiber Optics lines. I appreciate your help.
Your welcome just run a speed test and enter the values in to the field I recommend setting it to 95% of values or I can give you the commands Freshjr told me to use to get the script to do it automatically just send me a pm and I'll try to help further.

Running Alpha 3 on RT-AC1900P. Just noticed my home automation outlets are no longer accessible if I am not on wifi/LAN. Tried rebooting. They still say offline, but they are not. Was there a change in the firewall that might affect this? Thank you.

I don't think it was alpha 3,... Just my tinkering, with the WiFi settings. It was not the IOT devices. I just completed a wipe, and they connect freely now.

I had experimented with trying out smart connect again and this seems to have caused the issue AFAIK. I am in a small window here I noticed my original issues after a few hour of uptime last week. But so far no issues at all after 20 minutes.

At this point all of my signs point to user error, on my end. I had turned off SmartConnect over a year ago and for some reason decided to give my self another headache and try it again.

I didn't do anything differently. Never had to configure any firewall rules before. Just now my five power sockets are not visible from the WAN side anymore. I'll wait to see if this gets resolved in another build before I try to fix it myself.

I don't think it was alpha 3,... Just my tinkering, with the WiFi settings. It was not the IOT devices. I just completed a wipe, and they connect freely now.

I had experimented with trying out smart connect again and this seems to have caused the issue AFAIK. I am in a small window here I noticed my original issues after a few hour of uptime last week. But so far no issues at all after 20 minutes.

At this point all of my signs point to user error, on my end. I had turned off SmartConnect over a year ago and for some reason decided to give my self another headache and try it again.

Alpha 3 installed on AC86U which was running Alpha 2 and all ok (left the USB drive in :). Also installed ok on AC87U running Alpha 2 as AP. Thank you @RMerlin for your excellent product!!

yea do a factory reset using initialize option. I had to do that, it fixed both my ipv6 connection problem and my ddns connection issue

is there a way to fix the "unauthorized Registration Request" without doing a factory reset and redo all the settings by hand (I guess it won't work if I restore a backup)?
I'm asking the question because I have like 25 devices on my wireless network with most of them assigned with specific settings for QoS, firewall, port redirection or DHCP lease.
I don't mind reconfiguring some settings by hand... but I would prefer to somewhat have a way to restore most of my previous settings to make sure I do not forget anything in the process.

is there a way to fix the "unauthorized Registration Request" without doing a factory reset and redo all the settings by hand (I guess it won't work if I restore a backup)?
I'm asking the question because I have like 25 devices on my wireless network with most of them assigned with specific settings for QoS, firewall, port redirection or DHCP lease.
I don't mind reconfiguring some settings by hand... but I would prefer to somewhat have a way to restore most of my previous settings to make sure I do not forget anything in the process.
make screenshots of all pages
if you restore backup youre will have same issues as before, same as when you never have made any factory reset!

Odd. I couldn't see anything abnormal when I forced my VPN tunnel to fail its connection, but I'll take another look at the mechanics behind those Ajax calls.

I tested other vpn provider what show the public ip of connection and then i think the problem is just with this vpn provider

https://www.vpnbook.com/

using open vpn files.

Using this vpn provider don't return the vpn public ip and then that ajax request fail.

Here a video sorry for quality

https://streamable.com/s24fk

Last edited:
Why does my Download Master show ver. 9.1.0.104 while others on 86U see ver. 3.1.0.104 ?
Usually 9.. is beta and 3.. are official releases, so why do I stick on a beta and no updates are found.
I always used merlin or asuswrt and even dont know how I could load a different version, so only installed it or updated by gui USB setup, nothing done else.

PS: and thanks to delete (censoring) PM ! George Orwell is greeting you ... only 24 years later

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!