What's new

[Preview 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 early test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alpha 2 seems to no longer respect the "exclusive" DNS setting for my VPN clients on my RT-AC1900P. It's leaking to the WAN DNS.

UPDATE: Manually ran dnsmasq on router using terminal. Works now.

Last edited:
My understanding as well....he was asking about providing an option to set the DDNS url when exporting the server ovpn file. Maybe Merlin can add it to his 'todo' list.

Correct. The ISP already does all the work, the router doesn't need to update anything on its own. I access it through the DDNS address all the time. It's just that, since I can't get it configured to know that it's on a DDNS address, the .ovpn file only has whatever IP address the router has at the time of configuration, and I always have to edit it manually.

There's already a "custom" entry for DDNS. I am pretty sure that will do exactly that.

It doesn't work well for me at all. The "custom" option assumes a third party DDNS service for which you not only have to input a forced refresh interval (meaningless for me, since i don't know how often i get a new IP address) but I also have to create a custom ddns-start script, as i already mentioned (and the router complains a lot if the script is not there, and I also don't know how to do it and gave up on figuring it out years ago). Again, in my case i only need the router to be aware of an internet address, not do anything about it itself. Besides, one common theme on this forum is people having problems with software upgrades because of running scripts (at least it requires an additional step to be performed). If it's possible and quick to implement, great. If not, I'll keep doing it the old way.

) but I also have to create a custom ddns-start script, as i already mentioned (and the router complains a lot if the script is not there, and I also don't know how to do it and gave up on figuring it out years ago).

But you don't actually have the make a script does anything useful and actually updates your ddns entry since you already have it setup.

All the script has to do is return success or fail, when the router periodically checks the status of the ddns entry, so the the router knows the task is finished stops retrying to update the ddns entry.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-DDNS

Write the following lines in an ssh session. (Feel free to read the prerequisites section of my QOS thread and the skim the windows portion of the instructions for a link where to download a windows ssh client. )

Code:
touch /jffs/scripts/ddns-start
chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/ddns-start
echo "#!/bin/sh" >> /jffs/scripts/ddns-start
echo "/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1" >> /jffs/scripts/ddns-start

Giving up is not the answer when RMerlin implemented the exact feature you requested and wrote up a guide !

Got the following appeared in my log (AC3200) if anyone knows what it is ?

Apr 16 05:50:01 Mastiff: Got AAE_SIG_EULA_FLAG_SIGNED
Apr 16 05:50:01 Mastiff: Got AAE_SIG_REMOTE_CONNECTION_TURNED_ON
Apr 16 05:50:01 Mastiff: select error

Got the following appeared in my log (AC3200) if anyone knows what it is ?

Apr 16 05:50:01 Mastiff: Got AAE_SIG_EULA_FLAG_SIGNED
Apr 16 05:50:01 Mastiff: Got AAE_SIG_REMOTE_CONNECTION_TURNED_ON
Apr 16 05:50:01 Mastiff: select error

AAE is related to IFTTT support, what exactly triggered the log entry is another question.

Little bug.
I can't change language in Advanced_VPN_OpenVPN.asp page.

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'value' of null
at submit_language (state.js:1743)
at HTMLAnchorElement.onclick (Advanced_VPN_OpenVPN.asp:1)

if(obj.id != document.getElementById("preferred_lang").value){

I have not gone through all the posts here (so sue me) but does this firmware fix the issue on the 86 when it comes to not saving QoS settings after a reboot?

I have not gone through all the posts here (so sue me) but does this firmware fix the issue on the 86 when it comes to not saving QoS settings after a reboot?

It should, tho I haven't tested it myself.

Looks like I just noticed they released ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.20648----- one of the things I noticed in this was
- Fixed traffic analyzer UI bugs.
Suport multi-langue(UTF-8) network name* (FYI some one at asus is getting chewed out for misspelling by now)
* Windows XP and Windows 7 do not support UTF-8 format SSID. These two OS may see gibberish if using multi-language SSID. ----------- ready for some more firmware language issues muwhahahahaha.(brought to you by asus)

This is the overall spill on this batch.
ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.20648
Suport multi-langue(UTF-8) network name*

Security fixed
-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability. Thanks to Haitan Xiang and Fand Wang.
-Fixed CVE-2018-8826 remote code execution vulnerability. Thanks to Chris Wood.

Bug fixed
- Improved AiMesh stability.
- Fixed AiMesh mac filter bugs
- Improved system stability.
- Fixed DST related bugs.
- Fixed client list related bugs.
- Fixed traffic analyzer UI bugs.

* Windows XP and Windows 7 do not support UTF-8 format SSID. These two OS may see gibberish if using multi-language SSID.

Btw.... Merlin your alpha 2 is still running strong. I have it running on three routers and it has been stable for 2 weeks almost. Keep up the hard work!

Everything has been running smooth on the rt-ac5300 except one issue, which I haven't seen anyone else mention unless I overlooked it. But, when logged into the router on the main page, I sometimes click on the network map and block internet access from my main entrance IP cam after arriving home.

A few seconds looking at the number of clients(without clicking on the network map icon), or clicking on the network map to view interfaces, or clicking on the network map icon to block or unblock internet access. All client's will disappear and it will read 0 clients, after some time the clients sporadically start reappearing or if I refresh the page the clients will show up again until it does the steps mentioned above

This has been happening since Alpha 2, and the reason I haven't mentioned this earlier is because I was waiting to see if any other rt-ac5300 or other models were experiencing this issue. However, it seems this time it's only happening to me. Outside of this issue, everything else is running silky smooth

Everything has been running smooth on the rt-ac5300 except one issue, which I haven't seen anyone else mention unless I overlooked it. But, when logged into the router on the main page, I sometimes click on the network map and block internet access from my main entrance IP cam after arriving home.

A few seconds looking at the number of clients(without clicking on the network map icon), or clicking on the network map to view interfaces, or clicking on the network map icon to block or unblock internet access. All client's will disappear and it will read 0 clients, after some time the clients sporadically start reappearing or if I refresh the page the clients will show up again until it does the steps mentioned above

This has been happening since Alpha 2, and the reason I haven't mentioned this earlier is because I was waiting to see if any other rt-ac5300 or other models were experiencing this issue. However, it seems this time it's only happening to me. Outside of this issue, everything else is running silky smooth
It is happening to me too. RT-AC5300 on the latest stack firmware and with the latest stable 384.4_2. I haven't tried the alpha 2.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!