What's new

[Preview 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 early test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It is happening to me too. RT-AC5300 on the latest stack firmware and with the latest stable 384.4_2. I haven't tried the alpha 2.
Glad to see I'm not the only 1 then, not sure what can be done about it, if I recall the network map is closed source

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Everything has been running smooth on the rt-ac5300 except one issue, which I haven't seen anyone else mention unless I overlooked it. But, when logged into the router on the main page, I sometimes click on the network map and block internet access from my main entrance IP cam after arriving home.

A few seconds looking at the number of clients(without clicking on the network map icon), or clicking on the network map to view interfaces, or clicking on the network map icon to block or unblock internet access. All client's will disappear and it will read 0 clients, after some time the clients sporadically start reappearing or if I refresh the page the clients will show up again until it does the steps mentioned above

This has been happening since Alpha 2, and the reason I haven't mentioned this earlier is because I was waiting to see if any other rt-ac5300 or other models were experiencing this issue. However, it seems this time it's only happening to me. Outside of this issue, everything else is running silky smooth

Me too on AC86U with latest ASUS firmware and Merlin's alpha 2.

You guys are talking about running ASUS firmware and Merlin? How does that add up? Doesn't Merlin replace ASUS or have I missed something?

Edit: Now I see it, you've tested it with both...

My AC86U works fine with the alpha 2 build! :)
Is there anyone who can tell me how the Wi-Fi Radar works? I pressed Start Data Collection but nothing happened. What are wrong?

Yes, it's fixed. Only the WiFI scheduler is still not working correctly

Is working ok for me now. (Was broken for quite a while).

Edit: Hmmm, hold that thought. After a number of days working, scheduling appears to have given up again.
The scheduled times are still in the router, just has decided to ignore them.....
Maybe a reboot every few days might keep it focussed??

Last edited:
I've discovered that after 3 days and a few hours of up time I had a bunch of uncleared upon leases, it seems that other I forgot to enable reboot schedule or it turn it self off, which is strange. I guess my unit needs to be rebooted everday to work properly, I'm not sure since its an early revision unit.

Alpha2 seems rock solid for me too, has been up for days now without any issues, but one: I still can't use Adaptive QoS, but that has been the case since the 382 branch. Still wondering if I'm really the only RT-AC68U owner with that issue, as I don't see any other reports?

However, going back to 380 is not an option anymore and as I have a 400/40 Mbit connection I convinced myself that it shouldn't be a real issue anyway. Nevertheless, it would have been nice to have.

Other than that, very satisfied with 384.45. Truly impressive for an alpha build. Thanks Eric!

@RMerlin Any gut feeling on when the Beta's for 384.5 may start to appear?

Alpha2 seems rock solid for me too, has been up for days now without any issues, but one: I still can't use Adaptive QoS, but that has been the case since the 382 branch. Still wondering if I'm really the only RT-AC68U owner with that issue, as I don't see any other reports?

However, going back to 380 is not an option anymore and as I have a 400/40 Mbit connection I convinced myself that it shouldn't be a real issue anyway. Nevertheless, it would have been nice to have.

Other than that, very satisfied with 384.45. Truly impressive for an alpha build. Thanks Eric!

It sounds like you need to factory reset your router and it should clear your problems. just remember that if you do a reset to unplug any USB storage or anything plugged into your USBs first. Don't plug them back in until you finish the basic install.

It sounds like you need to factory reset your router and it should clear your problems. just remember that if you do a reset to unplug any USB storage or anything plugged into your USBs first. Don't plug them back in until you finish the basic install.

Thanks for your advice, but I've done countless factory resets in the meantime. As a habit, I usually do completely clean installs when upgrading to a next release (even with alphas and betas), including factory resets, power cycles, the whole ritual. Just to make sure I don't post issues that are actually user errors (in other words: to rule out I screwed something up). I've tried everything anyone suggested around here, but Adaptive QoS just doesn't work anymore. The 380 branch was the last branch where it worked flawlessly, but as ASUS felt the need to make more parts closed-source, starting with 382 and now 384, my QoS died and never came back to life (yet). I don't want to roll back to stock firmware, even though that would give me an opportunity to reach out to ASUS for support on the matter, but that way I would loose way too much functionality. As my bandwidth is beyond sufficient (overkill basically, we're not heavy users) and Eric as other matters to attend to, I decided to let it be. Hopefully it gets fixed in one of the future GPLs. But with every next alpha/beta/final release I can´t resist to give it another try :D

I am also running into the "unauthorized Registration Request" for Asus DDNS on this release. Any fixes for this other than full factory reset?

I am also running into the "unauthorized Registration Request" for Asus DDNS on this release. Any fixes for this other than full factory reset?
yea do a factory reset using initialize option. I had to do that, it fixed both my ipv6 connection problem and my ddns connection issue

Thanks for your advice, but I've done countless factory resets in the meantime. As a habit, I usually do completely clean installs when upgrading to a next release (even with alphas and betas), including factory resets, power cycles, the whole ritual. Just to make sure I don't post issues that are actually user errors (in other words: to rule out I screwed something up). I've tried everything anyone suggested around here, but Adaptive QoS just doesn't work anymore. The 380 branch was the last branch where it worked flawlessly, but as ASUS felt the need to make more parts closed-source, starting with 382 and now 384, my QoS died and never came back to life (yet). I don't want to roll back to stock firmware, even though that would give me an opportunity to reach out to ASUS for support on the matter, but that way I would loose way too much functionality. As my bandwidth is beyond sufficient (overkill basically, we're not heavy users) and Eric as other matters to attend to, I decided to let it be. Hopefully it gets fixed in one of the future GPLs. But with every next alpha/beta/final release I can´t resist to give it another try :D

Hmmm..your issue sounds similar to what I thought was going on with my own RT-AC-68P, but is now resolved in a completely different manner. To explain: around the same time the Merlin NG branch (everything post-380.xx) started, I started seeing terrible bufferbloat results on the DSLReports speed test. I tried all sorts of things on the router to solve this, different alphas and betas, only to ultimately discover that what was causing my poor result was having the latest generation of Malwarebytes active and running on my system when doing these tests. It is strictly coincidence that these updates (in both Malwarebytes and the Merlin NG branch) occurred at around the same time: by disabling Malwarebytes temporarily on my test computer, I get perfect A or A+ scores across the board on the DSLReports speed test site. Yes, I am aware that the speed test site points this possibility of some security software interfering, but since it had never affected me previously, I went along for a very long time looking elsewhere.

I just wanted to point out that it might not be a true failure of the QOS system on your router that can sometimes skew the results of tests like these. Perhaps you have other signs of QOS not starting up correctly: system logs, etc...? Also, I think I did read somewhere in this forum that in order for the QOS setup to work correctly, you do have to accept the terms of the Trend Micro AI Protection, as it uses parts of that (closed source) setup to classify the types of traffic.

Good Luck

I have a lot of those events on my RT-AC86U with Alpha2 firmware version.
Apr 19 16:33:27 rc_service: watchdog 827:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Apr 19 16:33:57 rc_service: watchdog 827:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Apr 19 16:34:27 rc_service: watchdog 827:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Apr 19 16:34:57 rc_service: watchdog 827:notify_rc start_cfgsync

I just wanted to point out that it might not be a true failure of the QOS system on your router that can sometimes skew the results of tests like these. Perhaps you have other signs of QOS not starting up correctly: system logs, etc...? Also, I think I did read somewhere in this forum that in order for the QOS setup to work correctly, you do have to accept the terms of the Trend Micro AI Protection, as it uses parts of that (closed source) setup to classify the types of traffic.

Yes, several checks on the router itself actually point out that QoS isn't active. The fq_codel patch gets applied, but that's about it. As for your last suggestion, that's actually something I haven't read or tried before, so I'm definitely going to give that a shot. Normally I don't use anything which requires the ToS from Trend Micro to be accepted, so it's worth a shot. I'll keep you posted.

I've discovered that after 3 days and a few hours of up time I had a bunch of uncleared upon leases, it seems that other I forgot to enable reboot schedule or it turn it self off, which is strange. I guess my unit needs to be rebooted everday to work properly, I'm not sure since its an early revision unit.

Interesting! How do I see if I have ‘uncleared leases’?
(Above my pay grade. ;-)

@RMerlin Any gut feeling on when the Beta's for 384.5 may start to appear?

Not in the coming days is all I can tell for now. Currently waiting on Asus before I build a third alpha release, they've been slowly trickling new GPL drops to my FTP server these past few days.

There are also a few other things I need to look into before I reach a feature-freeze state and begin the beta stage.

As initially indicated, I'm expecting the whole development cycle for 384.5 to last around 2-3 months.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!