What's new

[Preview] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 pre-release test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like libwdpi.so is different between 382_10050 and 384_10007. Unsure if it's because of model-specific code in there or something, but switching libbwdpi version seems to have resolved it. For now I will split that library by model on the SDK 6.37 platform.

I'll have to see if the RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 versions are different as well. if they are, it means that library contains model-specific code in it, and I will have to provide separate versions per model.

No idea if it's the same thing, but on my fork there were cases where qos would attempt to start before the WAN was fully up and silently fail. You can make a qos-start script (there are two cases with args init and rules on traditional qos) to put some data in the syslog to check the sequencing.

I suspect that might be the problem I initially had with 382_18991, where on my RT-AC88U it would randomly fail to initialize at boot. And the behaviour would change whether the RT-AC88U was hooked to my cablemodem, or within my LAN to another upstream router, what you've observed might explain that difference as well.

Well, looks like it's indeed different between models.

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~$ md5sum asuswrt.384-10007-ac3100/release/src/router/bwdpi_source/asus/prebuild/libbwdpi.so 
2d8e2a9035176bc66da4a0135d8bae94  asuswrt.384-10007-ac3100/release/src/router/bwdpi_source/asus/prebuild/libbwdpi.so
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~$ md5sum asuswrt.384-10007-ac88/release/src/router/bwdpi_source/asus/prebuild/libbwdpi.so 
876ea00674b6419f959a272b014bfe32  asuswrt.384-10007-ac88/release/src/router/bwdpi_source/asus/prebuild/libbwdpi.so

Another component that will have to be split per model...

Refreshed test builds, should take care of networkmap, CTF/PPPoE (for most models) and ipset (I need people to test this one out) issues.

Just to be sure I'm getting the refreshed build, is it the ones located at the below site? (I'm still on 382.2_beta2)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC86U/

I ask as those all show as 382.

Maybe I have the wrong DL site?

As it is still in alpha stage, you need to download it from the pre-beta test build folder: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuCcWdNeYuXMixNmNrWhl9Np1Zlg
Just pay close attention to your router type in the filename and download the zip with alpha3 in the description.

Updated my 86U with today's test build. As expected it works fine with the latest Skynet as the fixes has been integrated . Thanks guys! Merlin / ab-solution / Skynet FTW!

I updated both my AC68U and AC3100 and much to my surprise QOS is working and I have stats on the stats page. Nice work Eric!

Traffic stats work again with this refreshed alpha.

Does anyone know if the latest test build for RT-AC86U includes the latest GPL code for this model? It does not seem so by the changelog

Does anyone know if the latest test build for RT-AC86U includes the latest GPL code for this model? It does not seem so by the changelog

No. Eric said it won't be merged in this build cycle release, i.e won't be untill after pre-test builds become stable.

Uploaded 384.3_alpha3-g0462c71 for my RT-AC68U last night, experiences so far:

Unfortunately QoS still doesn't work for me (didn't expect it, as the changelog didn't mention it, but after seeing @skeal's comment above, had to give it another try.)
WebUI seems somewhat less responsive, it feels be a bit sluggish. Reboot and clearing the browser cache didn't give a noticeable improvement.

Another thing I noticed, which I never noticed before (allthough I'm not sure whether this is related to the 384 branch or something I just never noticed before): memory usage in the WebUI is way higher than reported by htop. I tried it with memory management enabled and disabled, bot show a difference between the usage reported in htop and the WebUi.In the latest alpha the difference seems even bigger:

OjMgWUJ.png

Is this a known 'issue'?

EDIT: This not an issue. Htop calculates 'available' memory differently than free -m or top, which makes the values incomparable. See post below. And please ignore the above.

If I notice something else, I'll report it here. Other then things mentioned above, it seems to run stable, no strange things in syslog or something alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? 380.69_2 still works fine.
for some reason my 5300 has some sporadic stuttering issues when streaming which is perfect on 384. im honestly not sure what the difference is but with asus 384 i have had perfect smooth streaming since i loaded it. i tried once again going back to 380.69_x (tried _2 and previous) and get the issue back. its not terrible but here and there ill get a very slight stutter. otherwise everything else on 380 is good.

RT-ac86u with Merlin 384 latest alpha

Under Tools/memory Total memory is showing as 430.10MB.

Checking with putty free -m 440420

asus_merlin-mem-jpg.11829

Attachments

• asus_merlin-mem_2.JPG
    asus_merlin-mem_2.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 641
  • asus_merlin-mem.JPG
    asus_merlin-mem.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,579
Last edited:
The PPPOE NAT throughput issue isn't resolved in alpha3 on the 68u.
In get 990mbps+ if I connect my laptop directly to the gateway and only ~500mbps if I connect it through the router ( same cat6 cable )

Edit : No QOS / AI Protect. Only dnscrypt / AB / Skynet

Last edited:
Uploaded 384.3_alpha3-g0462c71 for my RT-AC68U last night, experiences so far:

Unfortunately QoS still doesn't work for me (didn't expect it, as the changelog didn't mention it, but after seeing @skeal's comment above, had to give it another try.)
WebUI seems somewhat less responsive, it feels be a bit sluggish. Reboot and clearing the browser cache didn't give a noticeable improvement.

Another thing I noticed, which I never noticed before (allthough I'm not sure whether this is related to the 384 branch or something I just never noticed before): memory usage in the WebUI is way higher than reported by htop. I tried it with memory management enabled and disabled, bot show a difference between the usage reported in htop and the WebUi.In the latest alpha the difference seems even bigger:

OjMgWUJ.png

Is this a known 'issue'?

If I notice something else, I'll report it here. Other then things mentioned above, it seems to run stable, no strange things in syslog or something alike.
I think my big difference was NAT Acceleration. When I disabled and rebooted QOS just started on its own.

@RMerlin this new alpha 3 is awesome! Very stable with no strange log entries or anomalies to report. Rock on Man!

Same here.
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 440420 411416 29004 0 440 124528
-/+ buffers/cache: 286448 153972
Swap: 0 0 0

RT-ac86u with Merlin 384 latest alpha

Under Tools/memory Total memory is showing as 430.10MB.

Checking with putty free -m 440420

asus_merlin-mem-jpg.11829

I think my big difference was NAT Acceleration. When I disabled and rebooted QOS just started on its own.

Just gave that a try, I disabled NAT Acceleration, enabled QoS and rebooted. Waited 5 minutes, but unfortunately nothing.
Toggled QoS off and on, waited another 5 minutes, but again, it's not working yet.
Classification rules aren't loaded either, so it's really not running:

Code:
marco@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# tc filter show dev eth0
marco@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# tc filter show dev br0
marco@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#

So either your router is having a better day than mine, or it must be something else than Hardware Acceleration. Hopefully @RMerlin finds a way to fix it, because my son is increasingly consuming bandwidth as he gets older and I sure ain't going back to stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!