What's new

[Preview] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 pre-release test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of staying with the stock version (3.0.0.4.384.10007), until the release of the new Merlin firmware (384.3). Do you believe that it is the best choice?

If you can live without the extra features then probably yes. If you’re stable stick with it. With all the changes from Asus recently it’s gonna be a while before normal service comes back to Merlins world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To those asking if this will include AI Mesh or if Merlin will support AI Mesh just need to do a little searching ....

I don't have a final answer yet, but initial tests are hinting that supporting it properly might not be possible. While merging the GPL code I already spotted a couple of problems that might prevent AiMesh from working on Asuswrt-Merlin. Inter node communications is entirely closed source, including the trigger for new firmware checks and uploads. The new firmware check procedure for instance didn't work at all, possibly because the procedure is hardcoded inside the closed source AiMesh service, so it was contacting Asus's servers instead of mine.

For now my focus is just on getting all models to run on 384_10007. After that I will take a closer look at AiMesh, but at a first look, the chances of Asuswrt-Merlin supporting AiMesh are very slim.

I just updated to the 382.2_beta3 and will report if anything weird happens.

So does this mean AiMesh will be included under this release?
And what does it mean for supporting 3 branches!? I read various posts, and it sounds like you are abandoning 382 branch in favour of 384?
Sorry if these have been answered elsewhere but couldn’t find a definitive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would think that 380 is nearing EoL - the only routers that 382 and probably 384 wont work with are the MIPSEL based ones, the 66u (n and ac). @RMerlin has gently suggested people should start looking into John's fork for continued support...and that's my read of the announcements/chatter.

For developers: please note that the asuswrt-merlin.382 Github repository was renamed to asuswrt-merlin.ng (for New generation), to avoid any potential confusion since the version is being bumped to 384. While Github should alias the old URL, I recommend updating your local repo's remote URLs to point at the one URL. Typically (if using the git protocol):

Code:
git remote set-url origin git@github.com:RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng.git

Is there any way to turn off cfg_server permanently?
I tried nvram set cfg_master=0 / nvram commit and rebooted router, but it didn't work.

Hello,

I haven't been able to find much of an answer elsewhere so I'll ask here. With 384.x builds, is there a chance we'll be seeing IPSec VPN functionality become available on the RT-AC68Us? I saw it was introduced in 382.x, but I don't see it available on the 68U GUI on the 382.3 build, nor can I really find a feature list for the 68U and these newer firmware builds. Just wondering if I should get my hopes up with 384 or stick to my janky OpenVPN configuration for the time being.

Thanks for all your hard work, hope this goes better for you than 382.x did!

As with the fw 384.10007, media bridge mode is broken.No internet acces to devices connected to the bridge . Yellow triangle.
Everything back to normal with 380.69

AC68U (AP Mode) upgraded from official 384.10007 to 384.3_alpha1-gf682bb3, works normal.

Merlin, I seemed to recall that you mentioned some differences in nvram, especially dhcp_staticlist.
Given that, should we NOT attempt to use Johns nvram-restore software to migrate from an earlier version of firmware?

I haven't been able to find much of an answer elsewhere so I'll ask here. With 384.x builds, is there a chance we'll be seeing IPSec VPN functionality become available on the RT-AC68Us?

Will have to be enabled by Asus first. Enabling it requires recompiling some of the closed source kernel modules.

Merlin, I seemed to recall that you mentioned some differences in nvram, especially dhcp_staticlist.
Given that, should we NOT attempt to use Johns nvram-restore software to migrate from an earlier version of firmware?

The differences are between stock and my firmware, not between revisions. The same differences have been there for years now.

AiMesh would be nice but I understand if Merlin can't support it, the main thing keeping me on Merlin firmware is the Wireless log, it's so much superior to the stock one, I'm surprised Asus hasn't done something similar for the official firmware.

AiMesh would be nice but I understand if Merlin can't support it, the main thing keeping me on Merlin firmware is the Wireless log, it's so much superior to the stock one, I'm surprised Asus hasn't done something similar for the official firmware.
Agreed. The wireless log is very sweet and so clean, when compared to the official firmware.

Good build so far except for the wireless "site survey" is not showing the signal strength.
strenght.jpg

signal.jpg

RT-AC68P 384.3 Alpha1

Status
Not open for further replies.