What's new

Problems with new RT-Ax88U rounter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you have other ideas?
Not really. Sorry. When I got my RT-AX88U a month ago, I installed Merlin firmware and manually configured the router after resetting to defaults. I have no issues with any of my many legacy 2.4Ghz devices, I don't run Samba as I have multiple NAS units and I have no issues with SSH. Essentially though the only thing I added from default was VPN client and server.

I still strongly suggest you reset to factory and install / configure the bare minimum of items and test along the way. Add only 1 or 2 changes a day until you find what is causing your problems. SSH is pretty basic so should be an easy thing to test.

Although you do not feel all those services are related to your issues, my 40 years of experience throws up red flags immediately when I read your post. I could've wrong, but I could be right. You are trying to use a device that was designed and engineered for a specific task (router) and a NAS and a half dozen other things. The ad blocking alone uses huge amounts of memory to store the block lists. Playing videos via SMB uses huge chunks of CPU.

Just my opinion, but the same unit works just fine in my setup, but I'm only using it for basic functions.

Not really. Sorry. When I got my RT-AX88U a month ago, I installed Merlin firmware and manually configured the router after resetting to defaults. I have no issues with any of my many legacy 2.4Ghz devices, I don't run Samba as I have multiple NAS units and I have no issues with SSH. Essentially though the only thing I added from default was VPN client and server.

I still strongly suggest you reset to factory and install / configure the bare minimum of items and test along the way. Add only 1 or 2 changes a day until you find what is causing your problems. SSH is pretty basic so should be an easy thing to test.

Although you do not feel all those services are related to your issues, my 40 years of experience throws up red flags immediately when I read your post. I could've wrong, but I could be right. You are trying to use a device that was designed and engineered for a specific task (router) and a NAS and a half dozen other things. The ad blocking alone uses huge amounts of memory to store the block lists. Playing videos via SMB uses huge chunks of CPU.

Just my opinion, but the same unit works just fine in my setup, but I'm only using it for basic functions.
Thanks for your advice and attempts to help! Unfortunately I did all of that initially. At first I installed Merlin and after resetting to defaults configured the router manually (I did that twice without success). But these problems existed before I installed any user scripts. Maybe the first signs of problems 2 and 3 are linked to turning on Samba server (as for me this is ridiculous because the router have enough resources to work fine with this service, especially if previous models fulfilled the same tasks successfully). So I decided to ask here for any help, because community should know much more then me. Now I can reset the router at third time but I don't expect that will solve the problem as did the same twice before. So I will be very grateful for any other ideas.

After resetting to defaults and configured only wifi, wan, lan, samba and ssh I faced all 4 problems again as I only tried to get use network shared folders or ssh or connecting the legacy devices to 2,4 GHz wifi... definitely the resetting to factory defaults doesn't help at all an the problem linked to the firmware 384.12

Hope it will be solved in next version of Asuswrt-Merlin

I restored factory firmware and after resetting to factory defaults configured the router manually (minor changes), but these problems still here :(( do anybody have any ideas how to solve that?

1. Every 5-10 minutes of using Samba shares on connected to the router USB disks, my laptop loses connection with shared folders and the router for about minute. As result the movie playing always interrupts. But the wifi connection looks as stable at the time of these troubles.

2. Using SSH the sessions are interrupting too, but more frequent - about 1 time per 3-5 minutes during active using this connection.

3. Even if I change the USB connection mode to USB 2.0, the router shows that my disks are still connected as USB 3.0 and I can't change that.

4. There are some problems with DDNS, my DDNS status: "Request error! Please try again." if I try to use the old name which used on RT-AC68U (now I don't use it there and this name still linked to the IP of my RT-AX88U but this warning is still showing)

did you release the old name on 68U (change to any other name you wont need)?
It may last 6 month till it get free on Asus server to be reused on another router.

Did you have a look at the temps (CPU higher than 80°C)?
Could be a problem too.
Change power adapter, or maybe some other device in your household takes it down. Unplug just everything if it solves your problems.

At last return your router or RMA with HW-fault!

IMO you are still trying to do too much at once to properly diagnose your problems.

Reset back to factory (follow the link Grisu posted).

Then ONLY try one thing. Since SSH is an issue, test it. DON'T configure samba or anything else.

If it works, then try and configure your DDNS.

Personally, I still think you will find your issue is USB and/or SMB related.

did you release the old name on 68U (change to any other name you wont need)?
Yes, I did and even turned off ddns on the old router.

Did you have a look at the temps (CPU higher than 80°C)?
Could be a problem too.
Change power adapter, or maybe some other device in your household takes it down. Unplug just everything if it solves your problems.
The temperature in lover than 80°C. I unplugged all devices from router too, but it didn't help.

At last return your router or RMA with HW-fault!
I created a ticket to technical support of Assus and am waiting for their response too. Possibly it will be the best decision to return the router as faulty.

Reset back to factory (follow the link Grisu posted).
I tried all that and already reset to factory default at fifth time and reflashed the factory firmware but still without success.

Then ONLY try one thing. Since SSH is an issue, test it. DON'T configure samba or anything else.

I will try it now

the problem exist on the step one - using SSH without any configuring of Samba or DDNS. The SSH connection is loosing after 1-10 minutes (always different time after session starting).

All devices were unplugged from router including USB disks and Ethernet devices. I used only Wifi to connect (but problem is because of wifi, as I tested the Ethernet connection too and the problem is the same).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!