What's new

ProtonVPN on Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NB_8

Occasional Visitor
If anyone has anyone gotten this to work, would you mind sharing your settings?

I'm able to connect to their service but I've been getting DNS leaks.

Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive and that should take care of your DNS problem. Also you can add +f1 or +f2 to your username to block malware and ads. +f1 is for malware only and +f2 is for malware and ads. username+f1 or username+f2.

Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive and that should take care of your DNS problem. Also you can add +f1 or +f2 to your username to block malware and ads. +f1 is for malware only and +f2 is for malware and ads. username+f1 or username+f2.
How do you have your WAN DNS settings configured?

With exclusive you don't have to set WAN DNS settings, you're using ProtonVPN's DNS. If you want to use WAN DNS then set Accept DNS Configuration to Disabled, then you can use DOT. With ProtonVPN's DNS you can view Netflix, Prime video, Disney while behind the VPN. If you decide to use WAN or DOT DNS you can't.

Last edited:
With exclusive you don't have to set WAN DNS settings, you're using ProtonVPN's DNS. If you want to use WAN DNS then set Accept DNS Configuration to Disabled, then you can use DOT. With ProtonVPN's DNS you can view Netflix, Prime video, Disney while behind the VPN. If you decide to use WAN or DOT DNS you can't.
You should always set valid WAN DNS servers, either automatically or manually, even if you don't intend to use them.

You should always set valid WAN DNS servers, either automatically or manually, even if you don't intend to use them.
I don't normally do that. I haven't ever had any problems not adding a WAN DNS, that I know of. So please explain to me why I should add one.

Edit: I see what you're talking about, you don't have to change it from automatically setting one. I've never put one in manually.

Last edited:
Is there a walk-thru for setting up Proton VPN on a RT-AC68U by chance? I would like to give it a try. I only have the free account so not sure if that will work or not.

Is there a walk-thru for setting up Proton VPN on a RT-AC68U by chance? I would like to give it a try. I only have the free account so not sure if that will work or not.
It will work. But Proton says that Netflix and the others may see you're behind a VPN unless you use their Plus servers. Then you'll need a paid account. You'll also need a Plus account if you want to use their malware and ad blocking options.

This is how to do the setup. You'll have to download a free OpenVPN file from Proton. Then you will have to go to the Client setup under VPN, once there go to choose file and locate the OpenVPN file that you downloaded and then upload it. Then you go down to username and password and type the OpenVPN/IKEv2 username and password that you setup on Proton. Not the username and password to log into their website with. Once that's done then you turn it on, then you're good.

Thank you Billy. That was very easy to setup. Asus Router Proton Setup

Mine shows :

Connected (Local: 10.29.0.18 - Internet not redirected)

I don't think it is going to work for me. My RT-AC68U is connected to a NanoStation Loco M2 which is bridged to another one down the street which is connected to a Netgear Orbi Router which is connected to a Huawei Fiber Optic router which is connected to the ISP :eek:

Last edited:
Thank you Billy. That was very easy to setup. Asus Router Proton Setup

Mine shows :

Connected (Local: 10.29.0.18 - Internet not redirected)

I don't think it is going to work for me. My RT-AC68U is connected to a NanoStation Loco M2 which is bridged to another one down the street which is connected to a Netgear Orbi Router which is connected to a Huawei Fiber Optic router which is connected to the ISP :eek:
Yeah I'm pretty much lost on that, sorry. Someone else may be able to help you out with that, hopefully.

Is there a way to force it to use USA instead of whatever it wants?

1661454188775.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!