What's new

PS4 Lag Issues after installing asus AC88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

reddevil09

Occasional Visitor
Since installing the RT-AC88U from asus I have been having serious lag issues on the PS4.
The only setting I have modified is the VPN client, so I can turn on when needed. The PS4 lags with the VPN client in the off position, so really no changes to the standard settings.

Any ideas?

Since installing the RT-AC88U from asus I have been having serious lag issues on the PS4.
The only setting I have modified is the VPN client, so I can turn on when needed. The PS4 lags with the VPN client in the off position, so really no changes to the standard settings.

Any ideas?

You’re redirecting PS4 internet traffic through VPN client?

Also what PS4 model are you using? I ask because I had wifi issues with the latest model PS4 pro. I returned it 3 times before finally giving up and getting a refund. I’m convinced Sony used crappy parts in the latest model because my older PS4 and PS4 Pro work fine.

You’re redirecting PS4 internet traffic through VPN client?

Also what PS4 model are you using? I ask because I had wifi issues with the latest model PS4 pro. I returned it 3 times before finally giving up and getting a refund. I’m convinced Sony used crappy parts in the latest model because my older PS4 and PS4 Pro work fine.

So...the vpn is turned off when running the ps4. Since my post I have done two things which worked really well:
1) forwarded ports as described by Sony's ps4 connection troubleshooting website.
TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
UDP: 3478, 3479

2) setup static ip for the ps4 using Google's dns servers.

The change was dramatic.

So...the vpn is turned off when running the ps4. Since my post I have done two things which worked really well:
1) forwarded ports as described by Sony's ps4 connection troubleshooting website.
TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
UDP: 3478, 3479

2) setup static ip for the ps4 using Google's dns servers.

The change was dramatic.

Sony advise doing port forwarding not because it’s safe but because they want their customers to be able to use the product instead of returning it for a refund. It’s a brute force method of making the PS4 bypass the firewall to ensure internet reachability. Unfortunately that means the firewall can’t do its job blocking incoming connections from attackers. Network security is your responsibility. Port forwarding doesn’t increase speeds, it just opens holes. It’s a bad solution that in most cases shouldn’t ever be necessary for a PS4 to work.

Changing the DNS is safe and may have contributed to less latency by improving routing across the net or bypassing dnsmasq filtering... I would also recommend trying 1.1.1.1 from cloudflare instead of 8.8.8.8 from google

I’m not sure what you mean by VPN off. You didn’t answer whether you were redirecting the traffic through VPN. That would obviously slow down the net and cause lag.

Sony advise doing port forwarding...
Regarding those ports listed above... There is nowhere where Sony says to forward them. The confusion seems to come from an inability of people to understand what they are reading :rolleyes:. Sony says those ports should be "open", i.e. outgoing connections to those destination ports should not be blocked. That is not the same as port forwarding.

Regarding those ports listed above... There is nowhere where Sony says to forward them. The confusion seems to come from an inability of people to understand what they are reading :rolleyes:. Sony says those ports should be "open", i.e. outgoing connections to those destination ports should not be blocked. That is not the same as port forwarding.

Please see screenshot from Sony support. You will see open (forward) which to me is port forwarding.

I have disabled the vpn when running the ps4 so no traffic is being routed to the vpn server first. I was just trying to paint a picture of what settings were modified on the router when I first posted!

Great support guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190303-190613_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190303-190613_Chrome.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 671
Please see screenshot from Sony support. You will see open (forward) which to me is port forwarding.
No, open and forward are not the same thing. I can't find the original version of your screenshot but it looks like a tweet from CS. It is very common for people (even official support staff) to conflate the two words. Notice how the word "forward" never appears anywhere other than the title. Always refer to the exact wording of the official help guides on Sony's website and not tweets or forums posts.

FWIW My son is an avid online gamer and has had the PS3 and PS4 since they were launched. I've never had to forward any ports because UPnP does that automatically. On the router I can see which ports have been automatically forwarded and in all those years I've never seen the ports listed above. Think about it.... ports 80 and 443 are web server ports. For the PS4 the ports that are typically forwarded by UPnP are 9305, 9306, etc.

No, open and forward are not the same thing. I can't find the original version of your screenshot but it looks like a tweet from CS. It is very common for people (even official support staff) to conflate the two words. Notice how the word "forward" never appears anywhere other than the title. Always refer to the exact wording of the official help guides on Sony's website and not tweets or forums posts.

FWIW My son is an avid online gamer and has had the PS3 and PS4 since they were launched. I've never had to forward any ports because UPnP does that automatically. On the router I can see which ports have been automatically forwarded and in all those years I've never seen the ports listed above. Think about it.... ports 80 and 443 are web server ports. For the PS4 the ports that are typically forwarded by UPnP are 9305, 9306, etc.

So you left UPnP enabled? I’ve had it disabled. But yeah definitely we have 3 ps4s and over all the years and with different routers I’ve never had to manage ports at all. I just connect to wifi and it works.

I have also never had to do this. Since installing the dsl ac88u the ps4 has been very laggy. Can't play a game without lag. So naturally I was looking for router settings that would be best. It's supposed to be a good router as well. I have seen you tube videos that suggest dns server changes alone make a big difference. I just done everything I could to get a decent game in! I am upgrading my internet to fibre as internet speeds was not greater than about 6mb/s with an upload less than 500 kb/s. Making these changes seemed to increase the upload speed...but really I am a bit lost for words. Suggestions?

To be fair no basic isp provisioned home router should be blocking outbound connections to those ports in the first place, so instead the average user would conclude that Sony must have meant PS4 required permitting incoming connections by port forwarding rules in the router. And when they turn to google this problem the first result would be the link below which encourages people to forward the ports on the router:
https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-ps4/

Sony communicate poorly and I can’t blame anyone out there for being confused by it because I’m right there with you. They need better support documentation.

I have also never had to do this. Since installing the dsl ac88u the ps4 has been very laggy. Can't play a game without lag. So naturally I was looking for router settings that would be best. It's supposed to be a good router as well. I have seen you tube videos that suggest dns server changes alone make a big difference. I just done everything I could to get a decent game in! I am upgrading my internet to fibre as internet speeds was not greater than about 6mb/s with an upload less than 500 kb/s. Making these changes seemed to increase the upload speed...but really I am a bit lost for words. Suggestions?

You can make changes to wifi settings like using set channels (2,6,11) and frequencies (20mhz only) and disabling beam forming and seperate SSID for 2.4ghz and 5ghz and not using certain channels on 5G because they get affected by weather radar etc. all of this has been discussed many times across the forums. You’ll have to do some searching for the specifics, especially in the Merlin forum threads where most talk happens.

Try plugging in via Ethernet and see what your performance is like. If it is perfect then the issues may be due to the wifi connection. That could be fixed by router changes. It may also be that the hardware wifi cards built into the PS4 is crap. Network issues are a bitch to diagnose.

To be fair no basic isp provisioned home router should be blocking outbound connections to those ports in the first place, so instead the average user would conclude that Sony must have meant PS4 required permitting incoming connections by port forwarding rules in the router. And when they turn to google this problem the first result would be the link below which encourages people to forward the ports on the router:
https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-ps4/

Sony communicate poorly and I can’t blame anyone out there for being confused by it because I’m right there with you. They need better support documentation.
Yes, that's the point isn't it. On home routers all outgoing ports are open by default. This is why people need to read the official document I linked to where it's clear that the open ports they are talking about is not a typical home scenario but something like an office environment:
When you're using PlayStation™Network at an office or other location with a shared network, a firewall or other security measures might prevent your PS4™ system from connecting to PlayStation™Network

It annoys me greatly that portforward.com is still spreading and perpetuating this misinformation after all these years.

Anyway, rant over and back on topic.....

@reddevil09 Is your router an RT-AC88U or a DSL-AC88U? With an upload speed of less than 500 kb/s you're going to struggle whatever you do.

Yes, that's the point isn't it. On home routers all outgoing ports are open by default. This is why people need to read the official document I linked to where it's clear that the open ports they are talking about is not a typical home scenario but something like an office environment:

It annoys me greatly that portforward.com is still spreading and perpetuating this misinformation after all these years.

Anyway, rant over and back on topic.....

@reddevil09 Is your router an RT-AC88U or a DSL-AC88U? With an upload speed of less than 500 kb/s you're going to struggle whatever you do.
Sorry for the delay it's a dsl-ac88u

Sorry for the delay it's a dsl-ac88u
You implied in post #3 that your problem was mostly resolved by changing DNS settings? Given that this was only effecting one game and you're about to change your internet connection to fibre it's probably not worth doing much more until then.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!