What's new

[Q] VPN IPV6 and more

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Facsi

Occasional Visitor
Hi all.
I have some questions about Vpn and IPV6. Actually my confusion is mostly about ipv6.
Since 2015 when all the stuff about ipv6 was starting to emerge, i tried to understand how it was going to be handled for new and legacy devices. I didnt understand at that time and i decided to wait to see in practice how it was going to be.
Now in 2020 i understand a little bit more about it but there are some stuff that i do not understand and could not find the answer easily on the web.

I always thought that there would be 2 ipv6 handling methods for the home networks. One would be a unique ipv6 IP for each machine and also would simplify the Nat stuff. Second would be the router acquiring one ipv6 in wan and lease ipv4 ips for legacy devices in lan and Nat could still be used (over ipv6!).

It seems that the last one does not exist as i cannot find nothing in the web about it.

The use case for it would be: i have an old cctv system that works on ipv4 in my LAN network. I cannot access from outside because i have changed to another ISP last week and now I'm on cgnat. I have never been behind a cgnat before and didn't know much about it. I have studied it and understand more now. i understand it as a limitation because of the ipv4 exaustion. But I have a valid /64 ipv6 address. I tried and could manage to enable a FTP server on my Asus 68u. I could not access through ipv4 address obviously but trying with the router ipv6 address i could access it. im not going to lie, but I thought the port blocking was some BS that the ISP was doing to me to obligate paying higher prices to get "full internet".

So my question is: how can i setup an ipv6 vpn on the Asus 68u and also, how can i update my new ipv6 dyndns automatically? Every site ive been it seems that those services still rely on old ipv4 stack...
I guess setting up an ipv6 vpn could help me accessing my internal cctv cameras once I'm inside my own Vpn network.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I always thought that there would be 2 ipv6 handling methods for the home networks. One would be a unique ipv6 IP for each machine and also would simplify the Nat stuff. Second would be the router acquiring one ipv6 in wan and lease ipv4 ips for legacy devices in lan and Nat could still be used (over ipv6!).

It seems that the last one does not exist as i cannot find nothing in the web about it.

That was my assumption as well. Like many ppl, I've decided to avoid IPv6 at all costs unless and until left w/ no other options.

When it comes to CGNAT, you do have two IPv4 alternatives; establish a VPS w/ your own OpenVPN server and tunnel back into your network (obviously at cost, and a bit complex to setup), OR, use ngrok to do the same thing w/ SSH. At least the latter is free for simple tunneling. And both keep you on IPv4.

Not exactly what you were looking for, I know, but I find ngrok in particular an interesting means to prolong the usefulness of IPv4, esp. for remote access purposes. And I'm just not sure how ppl are aware of it.

Last edited: