What's new

QM2-2S M.2 2280 SSD PCIe Card opinions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeptical.me

Very Senior Member
I've just purchased the QM2-2S card for my TS-253Be and I'm just wondering if anyone here has installed it or the pricier QM2-2S10G1T (edit : not compatible) or QM2-2P10G1T with 10 GbE Network port. Have you found significant performance increases as advertised? I chose the cheaper option as I don't really have a need at this time for the ethernet port.

Last edited:
I've just purchased the QM2-2S card for my TS-253Be and I'm just wondering if anyone here has installed it or the pricier QM2-2S10G1T or QM2-2P10G1T with 10 GbE Network port. Have you found significant performance increases as advertised? I chose the cheaper option as I don't really have a need at this time for the ethernet port.

The SoC on the TS-253Be can't take advantage of ether card - the NVMe or 10Gbe...

Cancel the order or send the expansion card back...

The QM2-2S is neither, I checked the compatibility list again, and it's compatible.

See here:

eea0106e58a1c34a573034ab7dfe30a1.jpg

Also for the 10GbE version (QM2-SP10G1T) is compatible according to the QNAP site:

cd4b9f451b265a5e1e15895c99db8881.jpg

ca1ca2c807a2df690857951292035e94.jpg

Although, this appears to contradict the QNAP compatibility list concerning the QM2-2S10G1T and the QM2-2P10G1T (but it doesn't contradict the one I've purchased, the QM2-2S):

4f3d16abb1f7fe06deb40d750768b8c4.jpg

I have emailed support for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
The SoC on the TS-253Be can't take advantage of ether card - the NVMe or 10Gbe...

Cancel the order or send the expansion card back...

I've installed it, and its working well. The little TS-253Be is supercharged lol

Hi Mr Skeptic,

i have a TVS 672Xt on the way and have had my eye on a 4 slot qnap M2 card. How have you got yours set up? Qtiering or Cache'ing? Was the speed a worthwhile upgrade? with the quad card it can get expensive pretty quickly $300 AUD for the card + 4 x M2 NVME 1TB ssd @ $225 each is around a $1200 upgrade, just wondering if it was worth it.

Thanks Pal

Hi Mr Skeptic,

i have a TVS 672Xt on the way and have had my eye on a 4 slot qnap M2 card. How have you got yours set up? Qtiering or Cache'ing? Was the speed a worthwhile upgrade? with the quad card it can get expensive pretty quickly $300 AUD for the card + 4 x M2 NVME 1TB ssd @ $225 each is around a $1200 upgrade, just wondering if it was worth it.

Thanks Pal

That's a lot of money. I guess you'd have to weigh up your financial priorities first. Is the Qtiering or Cache acceleration worth it for you?

For my self it was not as expensive and I'm using it for cache acceleration, which has been great, it certainly helps.

I have not tried Qtiering as yet, I will when I purchase larger capacity M.2 SSD's

Ok No Probs, i just realised the 672xt has 2 x inbuilt m2 slots, so i might buy a couple of ssd's and try out an SSD Cache, if it doesn't work out, they can always be allocated to storage.

Thanks

Ok No Probs, i just realised the 672xt has 2 x inbuilt m2 slots, so i might buy a couple of ssd's and try out an SSD Cache, if it doesn't work out, they can always be allocated to storage.

Thanks

Ahh, yeah it would have the slots. I wish I could afford that model NAS. Although, the much cheaper TS-253Be is a great buy if all you need is an entertainment hub for multiple devices to stream to. But it lacks the power to, say, stream to 3 devices, plus have QVRPro recording video from multiple cameras, and run other .qpkg all at once.

So i just looked up the specs to your TS-253BE as i also have an older TS653a as my media server (the TS653 has a slower processor than yours) and i consistently can stream to 8 devices at once without any buffering at all - 2 ipads, 2 android tvs, 2 MBP's, 2 iphones - movie file - played in native format (no transcoding) 1080p mp4 anywhere from 2-4 GB in size. on my unit i run deluge, itunes server, time machine and a few other qpkg's. So its interesting that your's maxes out at 3 streams - how much ram do you have?

So i just looked up the specs to your TS-253BE as i also have an older TS653a as my media server (the TS653 has a slower processor than yours) and i consistently can stream to 8 devices at once without any buffering at all - 2 ipads, 2 android tvs, 2 MBP's, 2 iphones - movie file - played in native format (no transcoding) 1080p mp4 anywhere from 2-4 GB in size. on my unit i run deluge, itunes server, time machine and a few other qpkg's. So its interesting that your's maxes out at 3 streams - how much ram do you have?

Yeah, I discovered the culprit, it was the .qpkg Raddar, for some reason, I'll have to look into it, it was using 4+ gigs of RAM. Things are working much better since disabling it.

Edit: I'll have to test how many streams I can actually push it to without experiencing any buffering

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!