What's new

QNAP’s Intros Budget-Friendly NAS With Auto-Tiering, PCIe Expansion and 10 GbE SFP+s

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
qnap-ts832x-nas.jpg
The 8-bay quad-core QNAP TS-832X desktop NAS is now available and includes several interesting features built into a budget friendly package.

Via QNAP’s Qtier application, TS-832X supports auto-tiering, which takes advantage of SSD and HDD hardware, keeping frequently used “hot” data on faster storage, while keeping moderately used “cold” data on larger capacity disk drives.

Two PCIe expansion slots inside the NAS can add either M.2 caching SSDs and/or 10 GbE networking via QNAP’s QM2 expansion card products, or can be used to add USB 3.1 Gen2 and/or wireless networking cards.

QNAP TS-832X is powered by an AnnapurnaLabs Alpine AL-324 quad-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A57 processor and is available in 2 GB or 8 GB DDR4 models (both expandable to 16 GB).

Other TS-832X interfaces include two 10 GbE SFP+ ports, two GbE RJ45 ports, three USB 3.0 ports, and a line-out jack.

For additional storage, the TS-832X can use up to two QNAP UX-800P and UX-500P expansion enclosures.

Pricing for the TS-832X 2 GB DDR4 model is $749, while the 8 GB DDR4 model is priced at $899.

Nice, but what would be important is the ability to moving data from one NAS maker to a different NAS maker. Otherwise there's a kind of "lock-in".

I think I saw someone say this can be done with rsynch? I'm going to need to do this soon. I'll have to google what is it and how it works. There must be a way for units from various vendors to talk nicely to each other?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!