What's new

qnap 459 pro => SMB Block Size ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NASTom

New Around Here
Hello !

After a few days reading the smallnetbuilder site I decided to buy a qnap 459 Pro.
Now it is running with 3 x 2TB Hitachi HDS :)

Atto Disk Benchmark show’s me the same results like the reviews !!

But my Windows network performance is poor => 38MB/sec. :confused:

After reading again, I think it is a block size problem:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-howto/30679-how-to-build-a-really-fast-nas-part-6-the-vista-sp1-difference
Because my Client OS was WinXp SP3 (max 64KB SMB blocks).

Now I installed Win 7 Professional. If I copy a large File between 2 Win7 computer the process monitor show me 1MB blocks
win7win7.jpg

But the qnap block size is still 32/64KB ?
win7qnap.jpg

Thank you for any hint !

Tom

Last edited:
Hello Community,

please help me breaking my 30 MB/s barrier :)

I think the new SMB2 in Windows Vista SP1 or higher, can’t help because the samba in the qnap use SMB1 ?

But for testing I just installed a fresh Windows Vista with SP1, like Mr thiggins.

But it doesn’t work:

Please help,
Tom

The performance boost in Vista SP1 doesn't depend on SMB2.

Performance does depend on how fast your client can go, however. My test client has a two-drive RAID 0 array. But a single SATA drive should be able to get you to
at least 50 MB/s.

What's the hardware configuration of the test client? Also, disable jumbo frames if you are trying to use them. Make sure no other programs are running on the test client and be sure that the NAS isn't rebuilding an array or indexing media files (shut off the Media server)

Hello Tim,
thank you for your reply !

My test-computer use:
- 1 x Raptor 74GB 10.000 sata harddrive
- 1,5 RAM
- AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
- Marvell Yukon PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controler

All three harddisk in the NAS are healthy and the raid5 idle. I never used jumbo frames.

I read your “How To Build a Really Fast NAS - Part 6” article again. You reached over 100MB/sec because you used two computer (Vista SP1 <=> Vista SP1) => 1.045.576 blocksize SMB2.

This weekend I’ll install Windows 7 on my main computer (E6600, 4GB, 150GB VelociRaptor, PCIx NIC) and I´ll post my test results again.

In your reviews of the nas, you test them with robocopy ? Is it much faster than “drag and drop” ?

Regards’,
Tom

I use robocopy because it can be scripted to automate the test. Results should be the same as drag and drop.

YEAAAHH !! WRRRRUUM

I’m successful jump above my 100MB/sec barrier :) Please cool my lan cable ;)

This morning I installed Win7 and here are my new results:

Tim: Thank you for this great site and forum !!

Have a nice weekend,
Tom

I thought you originally were using Win 7, no? That's what it sounded like in your first post.

No I'm Xp User :cool: It takes about 3 days to reinstall my computer with Win7 :)

So I'll do this later...

YEAAAHH !! WRRRRUUM

I’m successful jump above my 100MB/sec barrier :) Please cool my lan cable ;)

This morning I installed Win7 and here are my new results:

Tim: Thank you for this great site and forum !!

Have a nice weekend,
Tom

So, just by using W7 that increased your speed?

Do you know why?