What's new

QNAP Releases TBS-453DX NASbook For The Mobile Worker

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
qnap-nasbook.jpg
Designed for workers on the go, QNAP’s portable TBS-453DX NASbook is a portable caching NAS device.

It uses four M.2 2280 SATA SSDs (not included) for storage and is powered by Intel’s 14nm Celeron J4105 quad-core 1.5 GHz processor and 4 GB/ 8 GB DDR4 dual-channel RAM (upgradable to 8 GB).

When enabled with the upcoming Cloud Gateway Service (available in the upcoming QTS 4.4.1 release), QNAP says their new desktop NAS lets customers map up to 20 cloud storage spaces and access cached online files as quickly as if those files were sitting on local storage.

TBS-453DX runs QTS operating system and can also be used as a media device via Plex or Roon server and also supports video play to TVs and displays via HDMI 2.0 (4K @ 60Hz), and can convert 4K videos to various universal formats.

The current TBS-453DX lineup includes:
  • TBS-453DX-4G: 4 GB DDR4 RAM (2 x 2 GB), upgradable to 8 GB
  • TBS-453DX-8G: 8 GB DDR4 RAM (2 x 4 GB)
Additional interfaces include one 10GbE LAN port (based on Aquantia’s Multi-Gig controller, one GbE LAN port, three USB 3.0 Type-A ports, four USB 2.0 Type-A ports, two 3.5mm microphone jacks, one Line-Out audio jack, an IR sensor and two speakers.

The QNAP TBS-453DX is available now while the Cloud Gateway service release is slated for Q1 2019. No pricing was given.

I can see a few use case scenarios
Best one being small offices that work out of something like a co-working space.
Every user gets a laptop with under <=500GB SSD.
Files everyone is accessing would be stored in something like Dropbox or Onedrive.
Even if the internet connection is crap the users would still have decent access to the files

Another failed thing. I remember there were similar failed stuffs such as wireless HDDs, USB flash drives and SSDs. I think sharing a laptop is much better than this.

'm honestly curious, who is this product for?

NAS on the RUN...

Kidding though... I kind of like it...

For many - the 45* series are HomeTheater focused boxes, and this is probably the end-result...

QTS and features within, make it a bit useful for other things...

I can see a few use case scenarios
Best one being small offices that work out of something like a co-working space.
Every user gets a laptop with under <=500GB SSD.
Files everyone is accessing would be stored in something like Dropbox or Onedrive.
Even if the internet connection is crap the users would still have decent access to the files

Yep, and it would be an absolutely killer TV box -- seriously...

It's not fanless, however no spinning rust, so it has to fairly quiet -- has a decent GPU in the J4105 for 4K and transcoding on the fly... one obviously won't do gaming on a small intel CPU, but for TVBox type applications, should be good enough...

Considering what QTS has to offer with containers, vm's, and their whole "station" experience, with a good catalog of QTS apps, it's a decent option for some looking on the high end.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!