What's new

Qnap Rounds Out 9-Bay NAS Series With Kaby Lake-Based TS-951X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
qnap-tvs-951x.jpg
The third in QNAP’s SMB-targeted 9-Bay NAS series (TS-932X is AnnapurnaLabs-based and TS-963X is AMD-based), the TS-951X sports a 7th-generation Kaby Lake 14nm Intel Celeron 3865U low-power dual-core 1.8 GHz processor and is available in either 2 GB DDR4 RAM or 8 GB DDR4 RAM flavors with both models upgradeable to 32 GB RAM.

Designed for storage tiering, the 9-bay hybrid NAS has five 3.5-inch HHD bays and four 2.5-inch slots designated for SSDs. When used with an auto-tiering solution, customers can benefit from the TS-951X’s design as it allows hot data to run off the SSDs, while putting less used cold data on the HDDs.

Interface-wise, the TS-951X also includes a 10 GbE port and a GbE port, three USB 3.0 ports, HDMI output up to 4096 x 2304, 24 Hz and an IR sensor.

Available now, the two new Qnap TS-951X tower models include:
  • TVS-951X-8G: 8GB DDR4 RAM (2 x 4 GB), upgradable to 32GB - $849
  • TVS-951X-2G: 2GB DDR4 RAM (1 x 2 GB), upgradable to 32GB - $699

9-bay you say? So where do I fit the extra four 3.5" drives?
I would almost call this false marketing, as I think most people are looking to put 3.5" drives in their NAS and not a bunch of SSDs.
Obviously SSD caching would be a nice thing to be able to do on something with 10Gbps Ethernet, but with only SATA SSD support, you're still going to have a bottle neck in this case.

9-bay you say? So where do I fit the extra four 3.5" drives?
I would almost call this false marketing, as I think most people are looking to put 3.5" drives in their NAS and not a bunch of SSDs.
Obviously SSD caching would be a nice thing to be able to do on something with 10Gbps Ethernet, but with only SATA SSD support, you're still going to have a bottle neck in this case.

They are there. 5 are lined up vertically and the other 4 are lined up in 2 horizontal stacks below 5 drives.

Just bought the TS-932X-2G model on Amazon. It will be a great device with all the 8TB drives I have shucked from WD Easystore enclosures. :)

Well, 5 8TB drives and I am now going to look for the largest 2.5 inch drives to go into the 4 2.5 drive bays.

Last edited:
I'd like to see you fit four 3.5" drives in the lower slots...
and who said that these have to be 3.5 inch drives anywhere? that is unreasonable to assume.

This is the 9 bay drive - if someone , somewhere cant read, and makes up their own stories, it is their problem..

and who said that these have to be 3.5 inch drives anywhere? that is unreasonable to assume.

This is the 9 bay drive - if someone , somewhere cant read, and makes up their own stories, it is their problem..

Manufacturer's link is pretty clear what goes down there. If anything I'd be more worried about the software because it looks like all this is made for admins. Just shy of buying a server with matching OS.

HDMI and an IR sensor so you can use it as a media player? Do they make their own software for this or is it expected you'd run Plex?

I am actually apalled by the poor performance of my current TS-653B with 6 x 4TB Ironwolf in Raid6. On 10Gbe, I get maximum 400 MBps download and 200 MBps upload.

I had expected to reach at least 600 MBps.

Caching SSDs with max speed of 550 MBps will not do much to saturate the 10Gbe bandwidth.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!