What's new

QNAP TS 212P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wbennett77

Regular Contributor
Howdy folks,

Just got a my first QNAP, a 212p setup and it seems to be working ok. The only concerns I have is that the lan light seems to be flashin all the time and the unit never goes to standby mode and I have it set at 30 minutes. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Howdy folks,

Just got a my first QNAP, a 212p setup and it seems to be working ok. The only concerns I have is that the lan light seems to be flashin all the time and the unit never goes to standby mode and I have it set at 30 minutes. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
LAN light often flashes, on PCs too, due to LAN activity. Most have two color LEDs: one color, e.g., green, for connectivity and activity. The other sometimes shows speed: 100BT vs. 1000BT (gigE), where, say, orange = 100BT.

Hard to get a NAS to sleep due to inactivity - due to things going on on the LAN. And windows or other OS diddling all the time.

You can likely do what I do: Set the time schedule to power down when you are all normally asleep. Mine's from 1AM to 7AM. Save power and spend fewer RPMs. I feel that spin-up/down many times a day shortens the life of a drive.

I have a QNAP TS-429+
just make sure you have the latest firmware
mine goes to sleep in a hour without usage
LAN activity is always happening because of broadcast to all devices from the router

Howdy folks,

Thanks!

The unit doesn't go into standby mode, it is the hard drives that spin down.

I have mine set to spin down after 15 minutes.

If you want the unit (NAS) to power off, use the power schedule as Steve recommended.

If you have apps running continually, it will never spin down.

yes, that is correct
drives spin down
on mine when the drives spin down, the cooling fan will stop (can change this in the admin menu)
but the lan light will always flicker
broadcast from router to acknowledge there is/are devices connected (polling)

And a Windows PC is very chatty on the LAN with LAN management packets. Each causes a blink.

My Arris DOCSIS 3 cable modem's LAN light blinks 1/sec in orange because it's connected to a 100BT router, not 1000BT.
No issue, as it lives in the garage, wired up there.

And a Windows PC is very chatty on the LAN with LAN management packets. Each causes a blink.

My Arris DOCSIS 3 cable modem's LAN light blinks 1/sec in orange because it's connected to a 100BT router, not 1000BT.
No issue, as it lives in the garage, wired up there.
like I said, you always have network activity
so led's are going to be blinking all the time, even if you disconnected the cable modem the router,nas,etc would still blink
my motorola sb6141 cable modem has nice big blue lights (1Gb network) and it flashes all the time, 24/7
preeetty blueeee.........;)

QNAP 4.1 unexpected activity

Resending

If you are using the 4.1 software, the activity problem is likely the Download Station. It starts Automatically and initiates a facility (I forget the name) that allows users, among other things, have secure web traffic and avoid being identified. There is no obvious way to stop this. The Download Station may be hard to locate. It often does not appear.
On my system there are about 350 users. The actual amount of traffic is not that high, presumably to avoid users finding out.
If you can look into your router, and it has the ability to show you the current users, you may find hundreds of users on your system.

This all started late last year on some earlier software versions. I have stopped using QNAP.

Ron, in Alberta

If you are downloading torrents then yes, it is a shared network/resource for the file you are getting.
So you always have network in/outs
that's why torrents are a faster way to download big files
has nothing to do with QNAP hardware

QNAP 4.1 unexpected activity

The activity does not seem to be file transfers. It appears to be some kind of meta data associated with torrents or similar activity. The attachment is a small sample.

I do not use any torrents, nor the download station, nor is there a way to remove the download station.

Early this year my cable provider reviewed the problem and installed a Cisco DPC3825 Docsis gateway. The router in this unit treated all .6881 UDP traffic as attacks and disallowed them all. That was great, but the rest of the router was unsuitable for my needs. So back to my original router and pulling the plug on the QNAP system.

I do not want to use any system that incorporates these type of features and more importantly, does not disclose them. Who knows what else they have done.

I have an older system - the TS 239 Pro. Perhaps not all versions have this feature automatically enabled.

Attachments

• Capture 6881.jpg
    Capture 6881.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 680
you can setup rules in the firewall of your router to block internal lan/ip UDP

I don't know if your on cable or DSL or FIOS
the newer firmware come with CLAMXAV anitvirus
without knowing the whole thing I could not say what is causing the UDP on your logs
I can not say it is not another program running on your QNAP
I don't know the specs of your system but what I can tell you is that QNAP does NOT have some rouge program running on people's NAS boxes that is constantly pinging out to unknown IP addresses.

The activity does not seem to be file transfers. It appears to be some kind of meta data associated with torrents or similar activity. The attachment is a small sample.

I do not use any torrents, nor the download station, nor is there a way to remove the download station.

Early this year my cable provider reviewed the problem and installed a Cisco DPC3825 Docsis gateway. The router in this unit treated all .6881 UDP traffic as attacks and disallowed them all. That was great, but the rest of the router was unsuitable for my needs. So back to my original router and pulling the plug on the QNAP system.

I do not want to use any system that incorporates these type of features and more importantly, does not disclose them. Who knows what else they have done.

I have an older system - the TS 239 Pro. Perhaps not all versions have this feature automatically enabled.

interesting as Download station is an application that you can remove from the app center.

I actually un-installed my download manager last night
I figured since I wasn't using it and it's a add on that you can install and remove when you want, I just removed it

And yes, since it's a app that can be install/uninstall why didn't you just uninstall it?
I think you have something else running also
mdonkey or something else too.

Removing Download app

interesting as Download station is an application that you can remove from the app center.

Thank you for you suggestion - it worked!

Doing that was not so obvious for me. The install of 4.1.0 on my system automatically included the Download app (a slightly earlier version did not). The App wanted me to authorize installing the Download app - something I did not want to do. The application would not allow me to do anything with the download app. On closer examination I found that the application was installed, just not for my use. I noticed an update for Download, and unexpected found that hovering over the update showed a "More" option which then offered the possibility to remove the application, which I did . Nice to see my router disallowing the users - it can take up to a day before the access attempts give up.