What's new

QNAP TS-231P Two-Bay SOHO NAS Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
qnap_ts231p_product.jpg
QNAP's TS-231P is a good value in a RAID 1 NAS.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Thumbs up - the Alpine is turning out to be a really nice chip ;)

thanks for the review. I got the unit and noticing slow USB3-HDD to NAS-HDD write speeds. When I attach MyPassport HDD to laptop and copy a file to NAS, I get ~70MB/s. When I attach MyPassport to NAS USB3 port - speeds are <<10MB/s. Is this expected? Does review chart cover this speed?

thanks for the review. I got the unit and noticing slow USB3-HDD to NAS-HDD write speeds. When I attach MyPassport HDD to laptop and copy a file to NAS, I get ~70MB/s. When I attach MyPassport to NAS USB3 port - speeds are <<10MB/s. Is this expected? Does review chart cover this speed?
The benchmarks include backup throughput tests for FAT, EXT3 and NTFS formatted USB drives.

These benchmarks use the QNAP's backup utility. How are you measuring the attached drive throughput?

The benchmarks include backup throughput tests for FAT, EXT3 and NTFS formatted USB drives.

These benchmarks use the QNAP's backup utility. How are you measuring the attached drive throughput?

I access file system from Laptop, both NAS and USB3 connected drives are visible. Then I copy file from USB3 drive to NAS drive. i.e. from \\gNAS\USBDisk1\fileA to \\gNAS\

That means you are moving the file from the USB drive, to your computer, then back to the NAS.

Use the built-in backup utility or File Manager

That means you are moving the file from the USB drive, to your computer, then back to the NAS.

Use the built-in backup utility or File Manager
ah, silly me! 96.6MB/s with NAS's built in file manager. thanks very much!