What's new

Qnap TS-451 or Synology DS415play

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bart

Regular Contributor
I've been looking at the Synology DS415play, but it seems to have some drawbacks. For one, its main feature, the transcoding of video, doesn't seem to work when there's DTS involved.

Then there's Qnap with their new TS-451 NAS. It seems to hold all the cards, even capable of running virtual machines. (more like a small business unit than a home unit really). It's also got a beefier CPU and more memory. Unfortunately, it's also subtantially more expensive than the Synology. (about $250 more than the Synology).

I'm wondering if this is worth it. As far as I know Tim hasn't reviewed any of these two NAS'es, so I was wondering if somebody here's already got some hands-on experience.

I have both in testing. the QNAP is waiting a firmware update to address some USB 3.0 connection quirks. Just started the Synology. Performance review should be up early next week. Full review of Synology DSM 5.0 will follow in a few weeks.

Craig's QTS 4.1 review covered the QNAP's transcoding feature, but didn't look specifically at the DTS issue you noted.

Both are pricey. You really need NASes this beefy?

Thanks Tim. Do I really need such a beefy NAS? Well, what is needing? I don't own a business, I'm a home owner. But I am a home owner who doens't like to wait, so... :)

The Synology DTS issue concerns the not playing of transcoded files if they contain a DTS audio track (because of lack of licence).

I'll be eagerly awaiting your reviews!

Cheers!

I've been looking at both of these units myself and decided to go with the QNAP based mostly on the hardware as it seems the software is comparable. Studying intently the forums of both makes over the past month it is obvious they both have their issues to deal with. Being new units real performance reviews are thin right now. Anandtech has just published the first part of their QNAP TS-451 review and Legion Hardware also has a review. There are a few basic overviews of the Synology but I have not seen anything too in depth. The closest would be Anandtechs review of the DS214play which seems to be the same basic unit in a 2-bay, though the 214play has more connectivity.

Anyway for me the upgradable RAM, dual nics and seemingly a better transcoding unit gives the nod to QNAP, though admittedly the price for entry is high....and I did not like the look of the white 451, so I went with the 6-bay with 4GB ram because its black:p

You follow about the same reasoning as I do. The QNAP seems to do everything the Synology does, plus a few extras like virtualisation. And it comes with faster hardware as well. I don't plan on on buying a NAS very often, so it's supposed to last a couple of years. Bearing that in mind, I'd rather get some speedy hardware now rather than some mediocre hardware and then hacing to replace it in a year or two.

Oh, and I don't mind it's white. It'll be stashed away in a closet anyway. Though I have to agree I would have preferred black also. :)

Is it really overbuy?

Purchased a ReadyNAS PRO when it first came out. Has been humming along for nearly 4 years. Have upgraded drives to accommodate storage over that period but when the warranty is out I am going to replace it with the most robust unit I can find. If I had to buy today it would be a TS-851 (only because it has a $50 per bay premium over the 651.) Only issue I have is that I don't see it supporting the dynamic raid like ReadyNAS/Synology/Drobo. With capacity ever increasing on drives the idea of running anything other than raid6 with 3tb or grater drives seems ill advised. (read this: http://storagemojo.com/2010/02/27/does-raid-6-stops-working-in-2019/ )
I just wish the QNAP would allow mixed size drives without taking the hit it does and I replace failed drives with larger units.
Food for thought.
The $400 premium I paid for the ReadyNAS pro at the time more than paid for itself in longevity ($400/60months=$6.66 a month). Storm took out power and the NAS this past winter but with the 5 year warranty I had an advanced replacement and was back up and running in 48 hours. Every Photo, movie, email and all my work archived since 1997. Not worth being cheap on this. kind of investment.