What's new

FlexQoS QoS does not handle youtube upload

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was reminded of your problem based on your post in the 386.2 beta thread.

If you’re still running Adaptive QoS, there have been some recent optimizations in FlexQoS for low bandwidth links like your upload bandwidth. If you want to try it, install FlexQoS and enable the fq_codel option in its Customize section.

Bingo, it's fixed. Thanks a lot! Ping at another machine stays at 10-12ms.
I would like to see the output of these commands to understand the difference from default behavior:
Code:
tc -s -d qdisc ls
tc -s -d class show dev br0
tc -s -d class show dev eth0
You may need to upload to pastebin.com if you decide to share it.

sent link in PM

I should note however that I also tried it in standard mode, i.e. without changing to fq_codel ; and the problem disappeared already then. I.e. Once I have installed FlexQos.

I have an unrelated question. In Windows it's possible to create QoS policy and specify DSCP value for the traffic from a particular application. Is it possible to configure FlexQoS priorities based on DSCP? Is DSCP related to the "Mark"?

I should note however that I also tried it in standard mode, i.e. without changing to fq_codel ; and the problem disappeared already then. I.e. Once I have installed FlexQos.
That's good news, but unexpected news, since I think you had already run with FlexQoS before and still had the problem. So maybe it will come back due to ISP issues. Let's wait and see.
I have an unrelated question. In Windows it's possible to create QoS policy and specify DSCP value for the traffic from a particular application. Is it possible to configure FlexQoS priorities based on DSCP? Is DSCP related to the "Mark"?
FlexQoS won't pay attention to DSCP marks. Perhaps the Trend Micro engine that does the classification of traffic might take DSCP marks into account, but I doubt it. CAKE will respect DSCP, but the 68U routers can't support CAKE.

If you know the DSCP values you want to use, you could probably set an iptables rule to mark that traffic with the DSCP value with a Adaptive QOS Mark that will put it in the desired Adaptive QOS priority. I'd need some specific values to suggest the rule syntax. What DSCP mark, what Category would you want it in (Net Control, WFH, etc.)?

I would probably configure couple of games that are currently not recognized, as I can see. WorldOfTanks, for example, is not recognized, shows as "Untracked" in the category "Others", even though "World of Tanks" is one of the recognized applications in AppDB; so I'd create the policy in Windows to assign some DSCP value to the executable - can be any, as long as it's recognized by the router. If you give an example, I'll try to put it together.

I just verified everything once again.

Installed Merlin 386.1 Reset settings to factory. Tried upload to youtube from the phone while running ping 8.8.8.8 -t at desktop. Result: ping went to 1K+ms.
Enabled QoS in Merlin. Tried. Ping went to 1K.
Installed FlexQoS Tried. Ping went to 1K.
In FlexQoS changed to fq_codel. Tried. Ping went to 1K.
Installed Merlin 386.2. Tried. Ping went to 1K.
Restored previously saved settings. Tried. Ping stays at 12ms.

Changed from fq_codel to default. Tried. Ping stays at 12ms.
Changed from default to fq_codel, while continuing to upload from the phone. During the change, ping went to 1K+ms, but once the change was finished, it went back to 12ms.

Dave, you said you'd help with the rules for iptables to map DSCP values configured in Windows to Adaptive QOS mark:

If you know the DSCP values you want to use, you could probably set an iptables rule to mark that traffic with the specific DSCP value with a Adaptive QOS Mark that will put it in the desired Adaptive QOS priority. I'd need some specific values to suggest the rule syntax. What DSCP mark, what Category would you want it in (Net Control, WFH, etc.)?

I just created a policy in Windows that will mark the traffic from a game with DSCP 55, and another, marking the traffic from a work-from-home application with DSCP 60. Can you suggest the rule that will map it to the categories "Game" and "Work from home" respectively?

I just created a policy in Windows that will mark the traffic from a game with DSCP 55, and another, marking the traffic from a work-from-home application with DSCP 60. Can you suggest the rule that will map it to the categories "Game" and "Work from home" respectively?
Try putting this into firewall-start:
Code:
iptables -t mangle -D POSTROUTING -o eth0 -m dscp --dscp 55 -j MARK --set-mark 0x4008ffff/0xc03fffff 2>/dev/null
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -m dscp --dscp 55 -j MARK --set-mark 0x4008ffff/0xc03fffff
iptables -t mangle -D POSTROUTING -o eth0 -m dscp --dscp 60 -j MARK --set-mark 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff 2>/dev/null
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -m dscp --dscp 60 -j MARK --set-mark 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff
This would only apply to the upload traffic. It’s doubtful the traffic would return with the same dscp values on download.

I put them into firewall-start, but also tried to enter them in terminal. It said:

iptables: no chain/target/match by that name

Here's the output of iptables --list:

Code:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state INVALID
PTCSRVWAN  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
PTCSRVLAN  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
OVPN       all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             RT-AC68P-4B20.vadimrapp.home  ctstate DNAT tcp dpt:8443
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ftp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpts:57530:57560
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
other2wan  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
SECURITY   all  --  anywhere             anywhere
NSFW       all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             ctstate DNAT

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain ACCESS_RESTRICTION (0 references)

Chain DNSFILTER_DOT (0 references)

Chain FUPNP (0 references)

Chain INPUT_ICMP (0 references)

Chain INPUT_PING (0 references)

Chain NSFW (1 references)
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OVPN (2 references)

Chain PControls (0 references)

Chain PTCSRVLAN (1 references)

Chain PTCSRVWAN (1 references)

Chain SECURITY (1 references)
RETURN     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcpflags: FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcpflags: FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
RETURN     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcpflags: FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcpflags: FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST
RETURN     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere             icmp echo-request limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
DROP       icmp --  anywhere             anywhere             icmp echo-request

Chain default_block (0 references)

Chain logaccept (0 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix "ACCEPT "

Chain logdrop (0 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix "DROP "

Chain other2wan (1 references)

I put them into firewall-start, but also tried to enter them in terminal. It said:

iptables: no chain/target/match by that name

Here's the output of iptables --list:

Code:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
PTCSRVWAN  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
PTCSRVLAN  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             RT-AC68P-4B20.vadimrapp.home  ctstate DNAT tcp dpt:8443
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:ftp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpts:57530:57560
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
other2wan  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
SECURITY   all  --  anywhere             anywhere
NSFW       all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             ctstate DNAT

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain ACCESS_RESTRICTION (0 references)

Chain DNSFILTER_DOT (0 references)

Chain FUPNP (0 references)

Chain INPUT_ICMP (0 references)

Chain INPUT_PING (0 references)

Chain NSFW (1 references)

Chain OVPN (2 references)

Chain PControls (0 references)

Chain PTCSRVLAN (1 references)

Chain PTCSRVWAN (1 references)

Chain SECURITY (1 references)
RETURN     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcpflags: FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcpflags: FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
RETURN     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcpflags: FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcpflags: FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST
RETURN     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere             icmp echo-request limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
DROP       icmp --  anywhere             anywhere             icmp echo-request

Chain default_block (0 references)

Chain logaccept (0 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix "ACCEPT "

Chain logdrop (0 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix "DROP "

Chain other2wan (1 references)
That’s the filter table, not the mangle table. Run iptables -t mangle -nvL

Code:
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 70858 packets, 16M bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
 4201  702K BWDPI_FILTER  udp  --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 35794 packets, 6997K bytes)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 33955 packets, 9244K bytes)
   67  3644 MARK       tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:80 state NEW MARK xset 0x1/0x7
    0     0 MARK       all  --  *      br0     192.168.1.0/24       192.168.1.0/24       MARK xset 0x1/0x7

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 37304 packets, 29M bytes)
    8  8992 MARK       udp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports  !53,123 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff
  303  109K MARK       tcp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports  !53,123,853 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 71302 packets, 38M bytes)
71323   38M FlexQoS    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0   

Chain BWDPI_FILTER (1 references)
    0     0 DROP       udp  --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp spt:68 dpt:67

Chain FlexQoS (1 references)
    0     0 MARK       udp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport sports 500,4500 MARK xset 0x8006ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       udp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports 500,4500 MARK xset 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       udp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports 16384:16415 MARK xset 0x8006ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       udp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport sports 16384:16415 MARK xset 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       tcp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport sports 119,563 MARK xset 0x8003ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       tcp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports 119,563 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff
  624  429K MARK       tcp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport sports 80,443 mark match 0x80080000/0xc03f0000 MARK xset 0x8003ffff/0xc03fffff
  555  127K MARK       tcp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports 80,443 mark match 0x40080000/0xc03f0000 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff

Code:
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 70858 packets, 16M bytes)
4201  702K BWDPI_FILTER  udp  --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 35794 packets, 6997K bytes)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 33955 packets, 9244K bytes)
   67  3644 MARK       tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:80 state NEW MARK xset 0x1/0x7
    0     0 MARK       all  --  *      br0     192.168.1.0/24       192.168.1.0/24       MARK xset 0x1/0x7

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 37304 packets, 29M bytes)
    8  8992 MARK       udp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports  !53,123 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff
  303  109K MARK       tcp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports  !53,123,853 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 71302 packets, 38M bytes)
71323   38M FlexQoS    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0  

0     0 DROP       udp  --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp spt:68 dpt:67

0     0 MARK       udp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport sports 500,4500 MARK xset 0x8006ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       udp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports 500,4500 MARK xset 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       udp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports 16384:16415 MARK xset 0x8006ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       udp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport sports 16384:16415 MARK xset 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       tcp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport sports 119,563 MARK xset 0x8003ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       tcp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports 119,563 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff
  624  429K MARK       tcp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport sports 80,443 mark match 0x80080000/0xc03f0000 MARK xset 0x8003ffff/0xc03fffff
  555  127K MARK       tcp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            multiport dports 80,443 mark match 0x40080000/0xc03f0000 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff
If you just run the add rules, what is the output?
Bash:
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -m dscp --dscp 55 -j MARK --set-mark 0x4008ffff/0xc03fffff
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -m dscp --dscp 60 -j MARK --set-mark 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff
If you get an error, perhaps the non-HND routers don't support the xt_dscp module.

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 386.1_0 Sat Jan 30 20:23:29 UTC 2021
admin@RT-AC68P-4B20:/tmp/home/root# iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -m
 dscp --dscp 55 -j MARK --set-mark 0x4008ffff/0xc03fffff
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
admin@RT-AC68P-4B20:/tmp/home/root# iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -m
 dscp --dscp 60 -j MARK --set-mark 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
admin@RT-AC68P-4B20:/tmp/home/root#

See this post to find the modprobe command you need to run first:
Code:
modprobe xt_dscp.ko

Yes, now it worked:

Code:
admin@RT-AC68P-4B20:/tmp/home/root# iptables -t mangle -nvL
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 1386 packets, 281K bytes)
27464 7473K BWDPI_FILTER  udp  --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                           

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 298 packets, 102K bytes)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 1088 packets, 179K bytes)
  224 12611 MARK       tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       tcp dpt:80 state NEW MARK xset 0x1/0x7
    0     0 MARK       all  --  *      br0     192.168.1.0/24       192.168.1.0/                                                           24       MARK xset 0x1/0x7

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 390 packets, 135K bytes)
    8  8992 MARK       udp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       multiport dports  !53,123 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff
 1944  604K MARK       tcp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       multiport dports  !53,123,853 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 1478 packets, 314K bytes)
 963K  412M FlexQoS    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                             
 696K  329M            all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                             
    0     0            all  --  *      eth1    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                             
    0     0 MARK       all  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       DSCP match 0x37 MARK xset 0x4008ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       all  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       DSCP match 0x3c MARK xset 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff

0     0 DROP       udp  --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       udp spt:68 dpt:67

0     0 MARK       udp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       multiport sports 500,4500 MARK xset 0x8006ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       udp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       multiport dports 500,4500 MARK xset 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff
   27  1188 MARK       udp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       multiport dports 16384:16415 MARK xset 0x8006ffff/0xc03fffff
   36  1619 MARK       udp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       multiport sports 16384:16415 MARK xset 0x4006ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       tcp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       multiport sports 119,563 MARK xset 0x8003ffff/0xc03fffff
    0     0 MARK       tcp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       multiport dports 119,563 MARK xset 0x4003ffff/0xc03fffff
 126K  184M MARK       tcp  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       multiport sports 80,443 mark match 0x80080000/0xc03f0000 MARK xset 0x80                                                           03ffff/0xc03fffff
46629 3072K MARK       tcp  --  *      eth0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0                                                                       multiport dports 80,443 mark match 0x40080000/0xc03f0000 MARK xset 0x40                                                           03ffff/0xc03fffff

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!