What's new

QoS Failures and Status

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

klaxian

New Around Here
I have spent a lot of time scouring the web and SNB forums for solutions to QoS problems on my RT-AC68 (merlin 380.65). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there is anything I can do. Does anyone have suggestions for issues like this?
  1. "Traditional QoS" does not work on at all due to a known bug that has existed for years. Asus' recommendation is to use Adaptive QoS instead.
  2. Adaptive QoS (signature 1.150 and prior) often classifies common traffic incorrectly. Examples:
    • Hulu (video streaming) is grouped with "Web Surfing"
    • Video from sites like PBS Kids is treated as "File Transferring"
    • Games like Overwatch are grouped into "Default", but game patches from Battle.net and Steam are with "Gaming" (even though they are really file transfers)
    • Video calls with Google Hangouts are "Default"
  3. There does not appear to be a way to move the "Default" class above others (except for a hack I found on SNB)
Does anyone else have problems like this? Is there any way to resolve them or at least provide feedback to the developer of the "Adaptive QoS" module (Trend Micro)?

If there is no other solution, can you recommend a similar router that works properly or provides more customization? Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks, but I have already reviewed that thread. That is the "hack" I was referring to in the OP. However, it still doesn't really resolve the problems I listed above because the incorrect classification is not limited to "Default" and I don't necessarily always want all unknown traffic above other known real-time classes (ie. VOIP). Any other suggestions?

Thanks, but I have already reviewed that thread. That is the "hack" I was referring to in the OP. However, it still doesn't really resolve the problems I listed above because the incorrect classification is not limited to "Default" and I don't necessarily always want all unknown traffic above other known real-time classes (ie. VOIP). Any other suggestions?

Besides just moving the default catagory, it also allocates percents of total bandwidth guaranteed for each category. That means if you do 20, 20 ,20 20, 20, each category will have a 5mbps guaranteed of a 30mbps connection at minimum.

With that, the packet classification is kinda moot since internet will be rationed fairly for all types of traffic. At that point the classification will minimally boost ping to the categories are at the top of the pecking order WHEN bandwidth is constrained but all internet will function smoothly instead of certain types of traffic using all bandwidth in the NO QOS or ASUS QOS scenarios.

Give it a shot, you'd be surprised on how well the internet operates no matter what you throw at it. Read through the thread to see how Asus's implementation of minimum bandwidth was horrible and literally broke the internet in many cases. Lots of information in that thread.

Last edited:
Thanks. I didn't realize the script also fixed the guaranteed bandwidth per category. I have installed it and I'll watch for any problems. I wish this level of flexibility was included without manual customization though!

Sometimes traffic is not classified anywhere. In other words, the total download rate from QoS Statistics does not match the traffic monitor (not even close). Toggling QoS fixes this temporarily.

Also, YouTube videos are grouped with "web surfing" and Twitch is now in "Others" (formerly "default"). I understand that some encrypted traffic is hard to classify, but YouTube actually publishes its ports and methodology so QoS can be set up correctly. Does the Adaptive QoS ever get anything right?

Sometimes traffic is not classified anywhere. In other words, the total download rate from QoS Statistics does not match the traffic monitor (not even close). Toggling QoS fixes this temporarily.

Also, YouTube videos are grouped with "web surfing" and Twitch is now in "Others" (formerly "default"). I understand that some encrypted traffic is hard to classify, but YouTube actually publishes its ports and methodology so QoS can be set up correctly. Does the Adaptive QoS ever get anything right?

Mine catches everything. Remember QoS does not apply to LAN traffic. You sure the discrepency is not LAN transfers.

Yea the YouTube website is web surfing but at least the YouTube app is video streaming. Good enough, maintaining a large database must pretty rough especially since everything is becoming encrypted.

An open source database would be nice, but I guess trendmicro wants it proprietary for licensing reasons, cuz money.

You can probably supplement sorting rules in addition to trendmicros database if you really need to fine tune it.

Yes, the discrepancies are not LAN traffic; I am specifically comparing to the WAN tab on the Traffic Monitor page (among other things).