What's new

Quantenna wifi ac chipsets and large metal heat sinks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pete y testing

Very Senior Member
hi guys

just a question regarding the large metal heat sinks and their effect on the wireless transmission , i have had someone claim that these large metal heat sinks used in the current wireless AC class routers can effect / interfere with the wireless transmission with regards to these new 4 x 4 Quantenna chipsets and that the use of ceramic heat sinks on top of the chips avoids such effect / interference

seeing as you guys have the finger on the pulse whats your take on this as well as the efficiency and capability of these ceramic heat sinks v the metal finned heat sinks we are used to seeing

thanks

pete

When you hear something like this, ask the person to cite their references. That's usually a good way to separate fact from bullshi*t.

If the circuitry is properly designed and shielded (that's why critical circuits are in RF tight "cans"), nearby metal isn't going to affect it.

hi Tim

thanks for that and yes i think they where more trying to validate \ justify there choice of using the ceramic heat sink rather than having any real evidence that the ceramic would improve transmission quality over the metal

do you think ceramic heat sinks have any benefit over standard metal fin designed generally used now and do you think they would be usable in warmer countries where the ambient can start to reach the max 40 deg c , im guessing it would come down to efficiency and case design to then be able to release the heat away from the internals

pete

One thing I learned long ago is that proper thermal design is more complicated than you'd think.

The choice of heatsink depends on many factors. I don't think you can make the generalization you posit.

When you hear something like this, ask the person to cite their references. That's usually a good way to separate fact from bullshi*t.

If the circuitry is properly designed and shielded (that's why critical circuits are in RF tight "cans"), nearby metal isn't going to affect it.
Generally agree. But RF tight cans to contain inward, and block outward RF, doesn't speak to the OP's question. Antennas are of course external to these RF cans.

The large heat sinks will affect the antenna patterns, mostly for internal antennas. But these heat sinks are usually non-ferrous metals and have little affect. Aluminum for one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!