What's new

Security wifi print question-Really trying to up my safety

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

curlyimac

Occasional Visitor
I have been wondering if I should be printing bank documents to my wireless printer. I have the printer's admin secured with a password I created. This printer is on my main home 5G network.
I am wondering whether I Should plug it directly via usb, but that would require some long usb cabling.

For that matter, i question if connecting to my bank online via wifi is safe? Someone told me never use wireless computer even on home network to check banking. I should only use wired or cellular.
I can convert my mac to a MOCA connection to make it wired. I don't have ethernet run into that are of the house. Would MOCA be secure? I do have POE filter on my incoming coax.

Banking sites today are highly secure and I would say the old cautionary rules no longer apply.

I have been wondering if I should be printing bank documents to my wireless printer.
That should be fine for most "home" printers. It might be a concern if you were using a printer that has it's own print server that could retain and reprint documents. These sorts of printer are normally only found in commercial environments.

For that matter, i question if connecting to my bank online via wifi is safe?
That's also fine if you're connecting to your home router. Your Wi-Fi connection to the router is encrypted as is the connection between your client and the bank. It might be a concern if you were connecting to someone else's Wi-Fi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!