What's new

Question about changing ISPs and the Equipment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lauren

New Around Here
I am changing from AT&T to Comcast so I need a new modem. Based on my reading of various fora, the Moto SB5100 seems to be a good relatively inexpensive choice for the modem. I have been told that I can turn my current Westell 327w into a router. My network consists of a desktop and a laptop, both with wireless-g cards and another wired PC. I have recently purchased OOMA so I need to ensure VoIP works. Am I heading down the right road with this? I am open to any and all suggestions. AT&T will be out in 2 weeks so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row.
Thanks all - you guys are brilliant
Lauren

The Westell already is a router...a combo modem/router....however, it's rather useless for cable internet. The input for it is the RJ11 line..for your phone line that has the DSL.

Your cable modem has enternet out. Thus to the best of my knowledge the Westell cannot do any routing of it.

Gotta get a standard ethernet router.

The Motorola Surfboard 5120 models are commonly viewed as the best....although they'll be replaced soon by the newer 6120 models. The straight up 5100 models are still good also.

Note..that as you change devices plugged right into your cable modem (the Motorola) you have to power of the Motorola for a few minutes in between..so it "forgets" the MAC address of the prior device.

Thanks for the reply. So I have ordered the SB5120 modem. Does anyone have a recommendation for which router would be best to work with my 'g'-network and my OOMA box (VOIP)? Thanks again. Lauren:confused: